Football 101: The Talent Evaluation Process

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The loudest voice in the room in the draft needs to be the GM's. He's supposed to be the chief talent evaluator.

Now in Dallas with the lunatic, we can't do that. So we go to the next guy. Wait. That's his son. He's fake too. On to the next guy. Ciskowski. The assistant director of personnel/real GM. He needs to be the loudest voice in our war room. Not Jason Garrett. Garrett doesn't evaluate these college players year round like Ciskowski and his team does. He's the most informed opinion in the room, our draft needs to run through him.

Besides, since when did Jason Garrett become this definite great talent evaluator? Did I miss that memo? We're still figuring out how good of a head coach he is and people want to blindly trust this man's ability to evaluate talent?

I know of one definite pick we've made since Garrett's been here that he had a heavy hand in selecting because the cameras showed it. Minus our most recent draft class, of course. That would be Felix Jones. We had to have him because in our coach's mind he was the perfect compliment to Marion Barber.

Good decision?

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Hostile;4419123 said:
Who exactly is dismissing that? Hell, in the first post I said that we need Jason Garrett to be the strongest voice in the room for the Draft because the players have to fit his system.

Maybe if people could try (I know that requires effort and I am sorry) to digest the entire OP instead of thinking one line at a time?

You are missing the point. It isn't that the coach has input. Campo had input too. The article from SI shows how valuable that was. It's that the times they improved they had a coach who happened to have an extensive background in personnel.

Since the GM doesn't have that, during the successful times, the void was filled by coaches that were extremely talented at it.

Garrett doesn't have a personnel background either though unless you consider his Dad being a scout somehow qualifies him.

As far as the smarmy comment about digesting the OP....well, you've hopped all over the place in the thread placing the onus on player acquisition from Ciskowski to Garrett to a committee depending on whatever point you were trying to make at the moment.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
junk;4419161 said:
You are missing the point. It isn't that the coach has input. Campo had input too. The article from SI shows how valuable that was. It's that the times they improved they had a coach who happened to have an extensive background in personnel.

Since the GM doesn't have that, during the successful times, the void was filled by coaches that were extremely talented at it.

Garrett doesn't have a personnel background either though unless you consider his Dad being a scout somehow qualifies him.

As far as the smarmy comment about digesting the OP....well, you've hopped all over the place in the thread placing the onus on player acquisition from Ciskowski to Garrett to a committee depending on whatever point you were trying to make at the moment.
Let me bottom line this for everyone. You want there to be issues, so you will either invent them, twist them, or believe any myth about dysfunction that there is despite mounting evidence from these best coaches that it is a team process. There should be no guilt in this, because clearly you are not alone. Hopefully the issues help you sleep at night. 31 teams each year do not win the Super Bowl. It takes a monumental leap in imagination to believe that none of them are doing anything right and it is the fault of the GM, but by all means keep your torch and pitchfork handy. You never know when marching on Salem will be needed again.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Risen Star;4419152 said:
The loudest voice in the room in the draft needs to be the GM's. He's supposed to be the chief talent evaluator.

Now in Dallas with the lunatic, we can't do that. So we go to the next guy. Wait. That's his son. He's fake too. On to the next guy. Ciskowski. The assistant director of personnel/real GM. He needs to be the loudest voice in our war room. Not Jason Garrett. Garrett doesn't evaluate these college players year round like Ciskowski and his team does. He's the most informed opinion in the room, our draft needs to run through him.

Besides, since when did Jason Garrett become this definite great talent evaluator? Did I miss that memo? We're still figuring out how good of a head coach he is and people want to blindly trust this man's ability to evaluate talent?

I know of one definite pick we've made since Garrett's been here that he had a heavy hand in selecting because the cameras showed it. Minus our most recent draft class, of course. That would be Felix Jones. We had to have him because in our coach's mind he was the perfect compliment to Marion Barber.

Good decision?
Wait, I miss the memo where I said he was a great talent evaluator. In fact, I believe the OP says we need to hope he is. That he knows what he wants in his system.

I agree that the top talent evaluator needs to be a loud voice. That is Tom Ciskowski. Get over the title, think about the job. The talent evaluator job is not dormant no matter how many ways you try and invent that it is.

Scott Pioli was not the GM in New England. He had the exact same title Ciskowski does. He was the talent evaluator there, not Hoodie. Hoodie held the GM title so that it gives him power and prestige, and more money. But he could not fire Pioli. And if Pioli wasn't needed in the talent evaluation, why did they replace him?

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Hostile;4419444 said:
Let me bottom line this for everyone. You want there to be issues, so you will either invent them, twist them, or believe any myth about dysfunction that there is despite mounting evidence from these best coaches that it is a team process.

Why, as a fan of the team, would I want there to be issues?

It's just the opposite. I want the team to win Super Bowls. I'd even be happy if they started by winning a few playoff games.

I think the fact that the team has only one playoff win since 1996 is enough evidence that the franchise is dysfunctional.

There should be no guilt in this, because clearly you are not alone. Hopefully the issues help you sleep at night. 31 teams each year do not win the Super Bowl. It takes a monumental leap in imagination to believe that none of them are doing anything right and it is the fault of the GM, but by all means keep your torch and pitchfork handy. You never know when marching on Salem will be needed again.

It is incredibly hard to win the Super Bowl in this league. Even the most well run franchises have to work incredibly hard (and get lucky along the way) to win.

However, those well run franchises are also consistently in the playoffs and consistently in the hunt.

Dallas isn't. They've changed coaches, they've changed personnel, they've even changed their scouts in front office. What has remained the same?

I know you've dismissed constants in the past, but it isn't just bad luck that is keeping Dallas from being competitive.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Risen Star;4419152 said:

couchscout would disagree. The GM isn't the guy sitting in the bleachers at USC week after week talking about picking Tyron Smith over another guy.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Hostile;4420382 said:
I have no earthly clue.

So, because I'm frustrated with the performance of the team over the last 15 years or so and I've identified an area that I consider to be a weakness, I somehow want the team to have issues?

:laugh2:

No, I actually think the team does have issues and I'd like them to try to resolve them so they can move forward.

I know the Cowboyszone groupthink prefers that you ignore problems and try to spin them so that a problem area is actually a strength, but I don't agree.

Bottom line, the Cowboys front office has been an issue. A team that went 8-8 in a season with a relatively easy schedule isn't good enough. A team that has won one playoff game in 15 years is not good enough. That's because the front office isn't providing the team with enough talent.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
casmith07;4420404 said:
couchscout would disagree. The GM isn't the guy sitting in the bleachers at USC week after week talking about picking Tyron Smith over another guy.

Scene 1: Nov. 2, 2002, Oxford, Miss. The general manager of the New York Giants, Ernie Accorsi, is sitting outside, in the row of seats in front of the Mississippi press box, scouting the quarterback of Ole Miss, Eli Manning, against heavily favored Auburn. It's bitterly cold. Taking notes that afternoon for his scouting report (which six years later would be an important element of Tom Callahan's insightful book, The GM, on Accorsi's last year with the Giants), Accorsi is watching two future first-round picks at quarterback -- Manning and Auburn's Jason Campbell -- and seems riveted by Manning.

A couple of days later, Accorsi types his report in all capital letters to be submitted as part of the team's scouting report on Manning. In a section of the report covering the second half, he writes: "NEVER GETS RATTLED. RALLIED HIS TEAM FROM A 14-3 HALFTIME DEFICIT BASICALLY ALL BY HIMSELF. LED THEM ON TWO SUCCESSIVE THIRD QUARTER DRIVES TO GO AHEAD, 17-16. THE FIRST TOUCHDOWN, ON A 40-YARD STREAK DOWN THE LEFT SIDELINE, HE DROPPED THE BALL OVER THE RECEIVER'S RIGHT SHOULDER. CALLED THE NEXT TOUCHDOWN PASS HIMSELF, CHECKING OFF TO A 12-YARD SLANT. MAKES A LOT OF DECISIONS ON PLAY CALLS AT THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/02/12/eli/index.html

That's one example that I just read the other day.

No, I don't expect the GM to be on the road every week during the college season. Some weeks, yes. I do expect him to spend the bulk of his days evaluating players though.

Do you think Jerry spends the bulk of his day evaluating players?

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
junk;4420513 said:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/02/12/eli/index.html

That's one example that I just read the other day.

No, I don't expect the GM to be on the road every week during the college season. Some weeks, yes. I do expect him to spend the bulk of his days evaluating players though.

Do you think Jerry spends the bulk of his day evaluating players?

I think Tom Ciskowski spends the bulk of his day evaluating players.

I think too many people are hung up on Jerry's title.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
It is amazing how this topic over the years has come full circle and some still don't get it. Let's replay the evolution a little. Also a bit ironic that couchscout, a poster with actual football talent evaluation is telling you basically the same things I am. Here's a replay of how this topic has unfolded over the years.

1. Jerry, the owner needs to fire Jerry the GM, and hire a GM. Owners should stay out of football decisions. He is the constant. He is what is wrong.

2. Three years ago I explain that the GM duties are multi-faceted and carried out by several people with the Cowboys. It is denied.

3. Begrudgingly it is accepted that Stephen Jones does handle contracts.

4. Stephen Jones goes from our hope for the future, to someone who doesn't know what he is doing. As a poster with an anti-Jerry agenda pointed out, we need a patsy.

5. I explain that GM is a title, that it is the duties that matter. It is denied. GM is the great and powerful Oz position. All things revolve around the yellow brick road to the GM.

6. I explain that Tom Ciskowski is our talent evaluator, that before him it was Jeff Ireland, and before him Larry Lacewell. That they have different titles than GM, just like Scott Pioli did in New England, but that they handle the same essential duties. I forgot about Oz again. It is denied.

7. In fact it is pointed out that GMs must be so engrossed in their duties of talent evaluation that they have no time for any other duties. Leaves me wondering how Mike Holmgren had time to coach while he carried the GM title in Seattle. How Bill Belichick has time to coach as he carries it in New England.

8. I also explain that all NFL owners are involved in football operations. It is originally denied, then bregrudgingly accepted. Especially in light of what is happening in Pittsburgh, that all owners do have final say in football matters because it is their corporation.

9. Now somehow, magically the original argument still exists but it completely ignores the point above. Jerry, as owner, would still have final say on all football matters if he gave someone the GM title. Just like all owners. Nothing would change except the title. Rejected.

10. I suppose that if the title were given to Ciskowski some here would hate it. I ask how his duties would change. No one has any answers. I'll tell you how they would change. Not in the slightest.

11. But what really gets me is how owners are in the loop and have final say, but if Jerry stepped down as GM he wouldn't. Somehow, in Jerry's case, the GM now saves us from him having final say over his corporation.

It is the most remarkable football fairy tale of all time and what gets me is how many otherwise intelligent posters can't see the media worm they are swallowing.

If GMs are the power structure of football how come none of them were involved in the CBA negotiations except Jerry and Mike Brown, two owners? They would be the ones who know what things would be good for football and therefore their teams, right?

Wake up, the coffee's fresh.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;4420629 said:
1. Jerry, the owner needs to fire Jerry the GM, and hire a GM. Owners should stay out of football decisions. He is the constant. He is what is wrong.

That would be true. He is the one constant. He is the guy responsible for all these bad players and failed coaches.

2. Three years ago I explain that the GM duties are multi-faceted and carried out by several people with the Cowboys. It is denied.

Even if that was true, it's a flawed system. You don't have multiple GMs, you have one. Otherwise you have no clear direction.

And even if you disagree, you certainly don't remain in the same structure when it fails year, after year, after year.

One more point. After reading your theory of what a GM is, you might be the last guy I want "explaining" anything to me on the subject.

This isn't a classroom. You're not the teacher.

3. Begrudgingly it is accepted that Stephen Jones does handle contracts.

Who doesn't admit that? What team doesn't have a cap man for this purpose? How is this relevant to the GM discussion? Or did you think GM's routinely handle all contracts? Somebody might need to brush up on NFL Front Office 101.

4. Stephen Jones goes from our hope for the future, to someone who doesn't know what he is doing. As a poster with an anti-Jerry agenda pointed out, we need a patsy.

All we can judge Stephen on is his failed tenure here handling contracts and pretending he's a talent evaluator. This team has been riddled with bad contracts and bad players since he's been here.

Now could he be a good owner once he takes over and hire somebody qualified to run the team? Sure. But he could also be just like his daddy. We don't know. You don't know. You only hope you know.

5. I explain that GM is a title, that it is the duties that matter. It is denied. GM is the great and powerful Oz position. All things revolve around the yellow brick road to the GM.

More of your explanations. As if we're gonna get a test on it later.

Yes. The GM is the alpha male in the room of all NFL front offices. That is true. There simply isn't a more important individual within the team than the guy with final say on player, coaching and scouting decisions.

6. I explain that Tom Ciskowski is our talent evaluator, that before him it was Jeff Ireland, and before him Larry Lacewell. That they have different titles than GM, just like Scott Pioli did in New England, but that they handle the same essential duties. I forgot about Oz again. It is denied.

Tom Ciskowski is the assistant director of personnel. He's the 3rd guy on the totem pole. All teams have these guys within their system. They're nothing like a GM. Tom Ciskowski didn't fire Wade Phillips. He didn't hire Jason Garrett. He's not even making final determinations on player acquisition. He's merely a resource for our true decision makers.

7. In fact it is pointed out that GMs must be so engrossed in their duties of talent evaluation that they have no time for any other duties. Leaves me wondering how Mike Holmgren had time to coach while he carried the GM title in Seattle. How Bill Belichick has time to coach as he carries it in New England.

GM is a full time gig. Rarely can a coach do both. You just mentioned two future hall of famers right there. But I will point out that both had more success with less on their plate.

8. I also explain that all NFL owners are involved in football operations. It is originally denied, then bregrudgingly accepted. Especially in light of what is happening in Pittsburgh, that all owners do have final say in football matters because it is their corporation.

I don't know who accepted that nonsense about all owners being involved in football operations. Certainly not me. Take a look around the league with honest eyes. They're not structured like we are.

As for Pittsburgh, Dodger basically blew that out of the water in the other thread in the news zone. You want it to be the case in Pittsburgh. It simply isn't.

Quick show of hands, who honestly believes the Steelers have been run in the same fashion as the Cowboys since Jimmy left?

9. Now somehow, magically the original argument still exists but it completely ignores the point above. Jerry, as owner, would still have final say on all football matters if he gave someone the GM title. Just like all owners. Nothing would change except the title. Rejected.

He'd have final say in terms of ultimately deciding whether that GM keeps his job. But he wouldn't be making decisions for his GM. You can't have a GM and make decisions for the GM. Because then you become the GM.

I'd highly suggest you brush up on how NFL teams are structured. Because you're all over the map here.

10. I suppose that if the title were given to Ciskowski some here would hate it. I ask how his duties would change. No one has any answers. I'll tell you how they would change. Not in the slightest.

Well, it depends on the lunatic owner. Is it a real GM position where Ciskowski now holds full authority on all coaching, scouting and personnel issues? Because if it's that, it's a huge change and figures to benefit the franchise.

And if that were to ever take place, my first suggestion for GM Tom would be to fire Stephen Jones and get himself a real Director of Personnel.

If it's not a real GM position and Jerry's merely re-arranging titles to take the heat off himself, I agree. There'd be no real change.

11. But what really gets me is how owners are in the loop and have final say, but if Jerry stepped down as GM he wouldn't. Somehow, in Jerry's case, the GM now saves us from him having final say over his corporation.

He'd always have final say in the people running his organization. He wouldn't have final say in the decisions those people make. Big difference.

It is the most remarkable football fairy tale of all time and what gets me is how many otherwise intelligent posters can't see the media worm they are swallowing.

If GMs are the power structure of football how come none of them were involved in the CBA negotiations except Jerry and Mike Brown, two owners? They would be the ones who know what things would be good for football and therefore their teams, right?

Wake up, the coffee's fresh.

I find this comical. Your stance on this issue basically is akin to me in believing in the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus. It's a theory that Jerry himself tells you is wrong every offseason. We are structured unlike any other team in the league. His words. Not mine.

Why would a GM be involved in CBA negotations? This is another comment of yours that leads me to believe the real issue here is you have no idea what a GM is supposed to do in an organization. The CBA is a league business issue.

Rockytop6

Reaction score
Hostile;4413493 said:
I neglected to add one comment I intended to put into the original post.

Fitting into a system is exactly why Bill Parcells was so attached to "his guys." He already knew they bought into his systems and that doesn't just mean Offense and Defense. Work outs, practices, discipline, expectations. All of those things are part of a system.

Parcells knew he was a bit a of a slave driver as a Coach. If a guy who he knew already accepted his systems was there, he valued that player above others who may have more talent.

I respect that.

This is the most informative awesome thread I have ever read on any Cowboy site. I have far greater respect for the people in the "front office" than ever before. I also have more confidence in their selections in the draft than ever before. I have judged past drafts harshly because of my own very limited knowledge. Now that I know the process, I take my hat (if I had a hat) off to these guys. Yes, they earn their money. The biggest thing I see is that after you have done due dilligence and have your board in place, one of 31 teams can either draft your player just ahead of you or can trade in front of you. These are variables that you cannot accurately determine.

Thanks for making my day!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4420705 said:
This has to be one of those times when Hos is being intentionally obtuse to "drive discussion".
You call me obtuse?

Dude, I'm not the one saying Jerry must step down, and admitting that all owners have final say. So if he steps down AND still has final say you're going to be having tiny little orgasms of delight?

Not to mention the fact that Ciskowski has the exact same duties you guys want a GM to have. The same title that Pioli had in New England. You're all hung up on a title, and you call me obtuse?

Physician, heal thyself.

That is 2 + 2 = 4 math. I'm not even asking you to do a complex algorithm.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Hostile;4420895 said:
You call me obtuse?

Dude, I'm not the one saying Jerry must step down, and admitting that all owners have final say. So if he steps down AND still has final say you're going to be having tiny little orgasms of delight?

Not to mention the fact that Ciskowski has the exact same duties you guys want a GM to have. The same title that Pioli had in New England. You're all hung up on a title, and you call me obtuse?

Physician, heal thyself.

Where to start...

One, I never said Jerry must step down or that we can *never* win with him. But that doesn't mean our setup is optimal.

Two, I'm not hung up on titles, I'm concerned with the chain of command and what the people involved actually do.

Three, Ciskowski does not have the same duties of a GM. As numerous people have asked you, but you've refused to answer, has Ciskowski been the one hiring the coaches? Has he been the one making awful trades for WRs? No? Then he's not the GM.

Four, I notice you never answered why, if Jerry is just giving the head coach what he wants, Wade didn't get the OL coach he wanted, or Jammer was ahead of Buchanon when Campo preferred the latter, or several other questions contrary to your stance.

And I did say *intentionally* obtuse because I know you are smart enough to see these things. You just don't want to for some reason.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;4420895 said:
You call me obtuse?

Physician, heal thyself.

How does our assistant director of personnel have the exact same duties as the GM I want to have?

Did Ciskowski fire Wade? Did he hire Garrett? Does he make the final determination in player acquisition?

You'd be more correct if you said he has none of the duties I'd want a GM to have.