For a 27 year old RB/7 year veteran, Zeke still runs tough

Cowboys93

Reaction score
I love Zeke. I will sincerely miss him when he’s gone, and don’t think his assistance in allowing Dak to develop by basically being the offense for the first three years of their respective careers is appreciated enough. He has regressed and does not produce at the level of his contract, but it’s not my money and I’m not going to blame a player for using the leverage they have and striking when the iron is hot, as you’re always one play away from retirement. I think the days of a true bellcow are long gone, and although fans would rather just roll with Pollard full time, I love what both of them bring, and think if we truly make a run Zeke will play an important part in that.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Question… Besides some fans on a Cowboys site who out there thinks Zeke is better than Pollard?

Tony Pollard is just better than Zeke and has been for a couple of seasons.

It is not just fans of Zeke. This whole world is on a short attention span.

But, Pollard looked good against a team who under performs against the run. Yet after 15 carries he was done. Do you recall the 2007 play-off game against the Giants. The entire second quarter Barber ran the ball. The geniuses at the control of the offense (Jason Garrett) did not use Julius Jones one time. The second half Barber was gassed.

So why was Pollard gassed? He even said so in that sidelines mic'd up.

I am not putting him down, nor even making a comparison to Zeke. Its always appears to be black and white, either or with you.

The tandem of the two is what works. I don't see a problem, except the expectations of fans who think Pollard is just a TD machine in the waiting. And with this mindset, that makes Zeke crapola on our shoes.

Because I'm old school and can see both contributing. And I don't give a fiddler's frick what they are paid.

kumizi

Reaction score
But not protecting the QB and letting him take hits does?

You’re adorable.

Protecting the QB in pass situations is part of the RBs job, maybe 10%.
Being a productive runner is probably 60% of the job.
Being a productive receiver is probably 30% of the job.

Zeke fans are focused on the 10% instead of the rest 90% that he’s below league average at.

I sort of get it. He’s been a warrior for us. He’s a tough guy, plays hurt, finished runs through defenders. Macho men watch football. They want to root for him.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You’re adorable.

Zeke fans are focused on the 10% instead of the rest 90% that he’s below league average at.

I sort of get it. He’s been a warrior for us. He’s a tough guy, plays hurt, finished runs through defenders. Macho men watch football. They want to root for him.

Zeke is what is best for the team overall at the RB position. Macho men know what football is about. :thumbup:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Having served, then you would know never to reference a vet's service and if their brain was scrambled. Do you know what I have seen? No, so why say something like that? If you have had friends die in your arms and there was nothing you could do about it....then you would have the respect not to cross that line.
It was a serious question because you always attack posters you don't agree with concerning certain players. It's become concerning.

DanA

Reaction score
Here we are 7 yrs into their careers and Zeke leads Henry in mostly all categories. More yards rushing, receiving and maybe a slight edge in TDs. Talk all you want about who's a better workhorse or whatever agenda makes Derrick Henry fans happy. Bottom line, NO OTHER RB IN THE NFL has better stats than Henry EXCEPT Zeke Elliott since 2016.

Better stats? The second you glance at YPC and career fumbles it’s pretty clear Henry has had the better career. Add in the difference in play-off performances and the difference grows.

And Henry’s trajectory will have him surpass Zeke for career rushing yards by the end of the year though still down on carries.

The only area Zeke has been better is as a receiver (by a fair margin) although that has reversed this season. No idea why but Zeke has done very little as a receiver this year.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
You’re adorable.

Where do you come up with these percentages?

Most teams in the NFL average 35-40 passes per game and 25-30 runs per game.. How then can you say with a straight face the protecting the QB in pass situations is only 10% of their job when 55-60% of all offensive snaps are passes?

Most teams in the NFL employ a running back tandem/rotation. Meaning the lead back generally is getting between 12-18 carries. Which again is less than half the number of PASSING snaps he would be on the field for?

Good all around backs also might get 3-4 passing targets per game..

Bottom line .. if a back is on the field 50 snaps.. 30 of those snaps will be passes.. 3-4 of which will come his way.. So he MIGHT get 20 carries.. but those are rare anymore..

All that is to say your percentages are completely screwed up.. Easily over half a running back's snaps he will be in pass pro and if no rusher shows he will leak out to be the outlet receiver.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Better stats? The second you glance at YPC and career fumbles it’s pretty clear Henry has had the better career. Add in the difference in play-off performances and the difference grows.

And Henry’s trajectory will have him surpass Zeke for career rushing yards by the end of the year though still down on carries.

The only area Zeke has been better is as a receiver (by a fair margin) although that has reversed this season. No idea why but Zeke has done very little as a receiver this year.

Two words.. Cooper Rush.. Rush's noodle arm has meant that the outlet passes to Zeke (and Pollard for that matter) have taken way too long to get there and by the time they do three defenders are along for the ride. The result has been most of Zeke's catches have been for negative or minimal yards. He's been fine when he's gotten the ball with room to do something with it.. but those occasions have been rare.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
No one has said he doesn't run hard....heck we say he makes a good Fullback....which is not worth his contract. That is the problem. He is getting paid for his rookie type production, but that is long gone. FB now are lucky to have a job.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
The best thing that can happen to the Cowboys is a rejuvenated Zeke and Dak. Both players have been challenged by backups coming in and taking the spotlight..

If Zeke comes back running harder then ever I’ll take it. Let’s see what he can do.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Having served, then you would know never to reference a vet's service and if their brain was scrambled. Do you know what I have seen? No, so why say something like that? If you have had friends die in your arms and there was nothing you could do about it....then you would have the respect not to cross that line.

This is not a place for someone to be throwing around war stories. Anyone can come on here and claim they are a vet. Very few actually use it as a user name.

Personally I respect all service men and women. But like I said, anyone could come here and claim that.

If you truly served our country, then you have my thanks. But that wont get you any favors with your trolling behavior.

Loso86

Reaction score
One can agree/disagree on Zeke's contract being too expensive or how he doesn't have the speed he used to when he was younger, but we truly need to appreciate how after 7 years, Zeke still runs tough and has lots more to give. He still has that quick burst, some juice and strength in his legs. Watch some of the tough runs 27 year old Ezekiel Elliott has produced for the Cowboys so far this 2022 season.

This type of post is not allowed here sir lol

lukin2006

Reaction score
He's not worth the contract. That's the problem. I agree, Zeke runs hard and punishes defences but we could probably find a back that could do that for less money.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
He's not worth the contract. That's the problem. I agree, Zeke runs hard and punishes defences but we could probably find a back that could do that for less money.
Agreed. It's most likely Zeke will be asked to take a big contract paycut if he wants to remain a Cowboy after this season.

Thomas82

Reaction score
No, its a big play fandom. Fan want the home run ball. The three pointer. The break-away TD. But the game rarely allows those runs. Pollard looked good against the Bears. The third worst running defense in the league. But this game is based on physical confrontation.

When I was a kid I was watching a game where the offense threw a 60 yard TD. Most of it in the air, I asked him why they just didn't do that every play. He told me it doesn't work on every play. They have to set it up. The fans now want immediately gratification and long pass plays and long runs. Hence, the league changing the rules to give the receiver the edge.

I see the defense wins championships bromide tossed around, but the truth is fans don't like defensive battles. Too boring.

Think that isn't right. How many long analysis and commentary on this site have you seen people respond tl:dr.

This is a tiktok world where long TD drives bore the shate out of most fans. Appreciating the game, and the games inside the game is a lost art.

Read a freaking book. people.

Spot on!!

USArmyVet

Reaction score
It was a serious question because you always attack posters you don't agree with concerning certain players. It's become concerning.

Show me where I EVER bring up someone's service and insult them based on their service. The fact you get away with it is what is concerning.