For all those lamenting Lamb

1972COWBOY

Reaction score
Can we get Jalen Hurts too as a package deal like Tampa ?

Last edited:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
charron, I promise the draft is not over. At the end of the day Defense will be answered. There is still much defensive fruit left on the tree tonight.

Thats true. I hope someone falls to us at 51 that we need (every team wants that).

Verdict

Reaction score
I'm sure they were thrilled that Chaisson was falling to them.
But they got painted into a corner when a player in a full tier (or even two smaller tiers) higher was still on the board.
Had to take Lamb or trade down slightly.

The risk in a trade down would be that you end up with neither Lamb nor Chaisson.
Probably not worth the risk

I am not convinced that Chaisson is rated as highly by the teams as some of you do.

Verdict

Reaction score
Lamb is a luxury pick if we didn’t have more pressing holes to fill in secondary.

We lost our top starting CB and Safety while signing our WR we gave up last years #1 pick for.

Will we draft another WR next year if they’re the best player on the board? Lol

They should if they are doing it right, or trade back.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Who was on the board that we should have taken instead?

- there were no CBs left at the spot that had the value of Lamb (or the talent)

- I guess you can can argue we should have taken Chaisson, who has big upside, but the rest of the potential DL at that spot - Gross-Matos, etc? None are close to Lamb in terms of skill.

So who did we pass on that we should have taken at 17 rather than Lamb? Its easy to pound your fist on the table and scream we should have gone defense.......... tell us who.

And would we really want to face Lamb twice a year? I don't think so. We made the right choice.

Verdict

Reaction score
Surprised to find there was even a sense that a thread under this title would be prompted by enough moaning/lamenting to show up.

It is too bad that there wasn't an equally attractive defensive option, but in a draft sense it's analogous to cranking that slot machine arm, and having it rain down copious amounts of cash and coin on us.

Almost as wonderful is knowing that our division rival's fans so badly wanted him.

happy-gif-11.gif

This is me this morning... the calmer version of what I was last night.
I think the closest defensive player that would have been a similar situation would have been Simmons the LB.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chaisson or trade down unless that was to PHL. They wanted Lamb like the Cowboys wanted Andrews and Goedert and they jumped them for both. Andrews backfired on them, hope Lamb doesn't do that.

More than any position, other than QB, WR's are hit and miss and there's no guarantee the higher they're picked. Last year's 2nd rounders proved to be better. However, if he's the real deal, they could put a three headed WR monster on the field with a couple of good receiving RB's out of the backfield.

Was there a D player there that could make their D better than this pick could make the O better? This is an O HC with a ? at DC so they just got better in the "score more than the other guys" department but it is still D that gets teams through the playoffs.

1972COWBOY

Reaction score
Chaisson or trade down unless that was to PHL. They wanted Lamb like the Cowboys wanted Andrews and Goedert and they jumped them for both. Andrews backfired on them, hope Lamb doesn't do that.

More than any position, other than QB, WR's are hit and miss and there's no guarantee the higher they're picked. Last year's 2nd rounders proved to be better. However, if he's the real deal, they could put a three headed WR monster on the field with a couple of good receiving RB's out of the backfield.

Was there a D player there that could make their D better than this pick could make the O better? This is an O HC with a ? at DC so they just got better in the "score more than the other guys" department but it is still D that gets teams through the playoffs.

The question I would like to ask is if Lamb was up against a lot of good competition ? Did he successfully spar against the NCAA's best safties and CB's etc. Did the Sooners have a very competitive schedule ?

I'll see if I can find the Peach Bowl video I think they played LSU.

Last edited:

Plankton

Reaction score
There's no need to overthink this.

When you build a draft board, it's a long, painstaking process. You rate prospects on a basis of who you would draft and how they fit into your style of play. There's a very good chance that some players won't appear on your board just because they don't fit the style or scheme that you run - it's not a knock on the player itself, just whether they fit or not.

In this case, the Cowboys had CeeDee Lamb ranked very high on their board. And, like manna from heaven, he fell to their selection. To not take him would be in effect invalidating their entire draft process and preparation. The Cowboys have two outstanding WRs now, but next to nothing behind them. In a league where 11 personnel is the predominant personnel grouping in the league, a third WR is very important. When the three WRs in question are interchangeable in terms of where you line them up, it affords your offense an incredible amount of flexibility.

The whole point of the draft is to add talent. Period. There wasn't a defensive player available at 17 that was close to Lamb. The only other option was to trade out of the slot, but if you have a chance to add a top tier talent in a draft, you don't question it. You just do it.

Food for thought - last year, Randall Cobb played 64% of the offensive snaps, and this includes missing one game. Robert Quinn, who K'Lavon Chaisson would ostensibly have replaced, played just shy of 60% of the defensive snaps. Still think that the pick is overkill?

Too many times, we hear that teams fail to follow their board, and pick for need. The Cowboys followed their board, and validated their lengthy draft process and preparation.

This is how the process should work. Kudos to the Cowboys for not overthinking this and taking a lesser player.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Look at it form this viewpoint, if you don't like the pick. What was the main argument against re-signing Cooper? Disappears in games, especially on the road. Think he's going to pull that magic act with a hungry 1st pick wanting his job?

One of the best things about Lamb is that not only can you play him at all 3 spots, he's very accustomed to that in Riley's offense. Add to that he's really good at one of the most undervalued aspects of WR's....hands. That was the other complaint about Cooper, who has led the league twice in drops. Lamb is a very good hands guy.

If you rank the most talented skill position players on the team, Elliott and Cooper are going to vie for that top spot. Last year they got someone to breath down Elliott's neck and with this HC, that may happen even more this season. Now, they've got someone to breath down Cooper's neck.

Batman1980

Reaction score
I thought Gallup was already breathing down Cooper's neck, they had very similar numbers last year.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Lamb but is Dak good enough to allow Lamb to play at his potential. Lambs going to need some long arms to catch Dak's errant passes unless Dak improves on his accuracy.
From what I have seen of Lamb's highlights...Dak doesn't need to improve accuracy. He does have to be brave enough to chuck downfield ala Eli.

freemanjc19

Reaction score
He certainly gives you options when Gallup is up for a contract

I don't anticipate them resign Gallup if Coop is on the Roster when the time comes, meaning they will need to draf a WR next year too. Lol, the soap aopera continues.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The question I would like to ask is if Lamb was up against a lot of good competition ? Did he successfully spar against the NCAA's best safties and CB's etc. Did the Sooners have a very competitive schedule ?
Not to the degree that Jeudy, Ruggs or Jefferson did because they played in the SEC.

The Big 12 does not play great D, but they do send DB's to the NFL, and when they played LSU in the playoffs, the Tigers keyed on him and kept him to only 4 catches and no scores but he did average 30 per catch. The difference between the teams was LSU had weapons a plenty and OU really only had him and when he was not in the games they played, they were not the same, not really close. They ran their offense through him and were dependent on the other teams accounting for him.

Don't know if any of these WR's can take it to the next level until they get there. Other than QB's, they're the biggest crap shoot in the draft. There were only 3 "top WR's" in this draft and he was 1,2 or 3, depending on who you were reading but one thing we know for sure, the Eagles were hot for some Lamb. They might have tried to trade up to get him, I haven't heard and some teams don't like to reveal that. But getting him at 17 was the no brainer of the 1st round in many years of drafting. I don't think he's there if teams 1-16 are following BPA and not based on needs.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
KC just won a SB with top skill players and a pieced together D that was off and on all year. We have D talent that needs to be in the right scheme. We still have picks. We took a top 10 player who can do everything. It was an easy pick vs trading down and maybe getting someone who could help

KC won a Super Bowl because they have a generational QB. We don't. They also put an emphasis on upgrading the safety position, and despite their defense starting slow in two games in the playoffs, they absolutely shut down the opposing offense in the second half.

Our safeties are bums and cast offs, our LBs are huge question marks, DEs are question marks, Awuzie is not a #1 corner, Lewis is only decent, Brown sucks. We have D-Law and some serviceable DTs.

Sydla

Reaction score
KC won a Super Bowl because they have a generational QB. We don't. They also put an emphasis on upgrading the safety position, and despite their defense starting slow in two games in the playoffs, they absolutely shut down the opposing offense in the second half.

Our safeties are bums and cast offs, our LBs are huge question marks, DEs are question marks, Awuzie is not a #1 corner, Lewis is only decent, Brown sucks. We have D-Law and some serviceable DTs.

Chaisson was raw anyway, so he likely wasn't going to have some game changing influence next year anyway. There were no CBs to take at 17. We don't know the trade down offers, if they made sense.

Again, you seem to just like *****ing for the sake of *****ing.