For the money Dak wants, Cowboys could get just about any QB they want

romonumberone

Reaction score
There is zero chance Dak takes less than $35,000,000 a year. If anything having to play out this year without a contract has just pissed him off. Furthermore Dak does not seem himself the same way that a lot of people on this board see him.... including me. Dak has been a star his whole life.... he does not see himself as an average starting NFL QB. Hence his attitude of I will show them and play it out and prove people wrong. There is an element of delusional thinking there. Dak could argue that statistically he was the best QB in the entire NFL this year. He will cite wins in past years & division titles. He will say it is not his fault that the team went 8-8. Bad Defense, Bad Special Teams, Bad Coaching, Bad Field Position, Bad Play Calling, Dropped Passes from the WR's, etc, etc.... Personally I think he throws a tough ball to catch.... hence why all the DB's dropped about 15 picks this year.

He will say he was underpaid all those other years. So he deserves even more. The endorsements that come from being the Dallas Cowboys QB he will say he had to spend a lot of time and work to do those commercials so there is no home town discount there. He does not care that playing in TX is a lot cheaper than playing in a state such as CA where you have an extra 13% of your income that gets taxed.

And the biggest point is that he already turned down between $32-$35 million a year. He will never tuck his tail between his legs and take even less now or even the same deal. That would be against his pride and ego.

If Dallas tries to Franchise Tag him that would really piss him off. He could threaten to not sign and hold out..... but only after the draft when Dallas did not draft a QB. To give himself even more leverage.

If Dallas wants a happy QB that will run with the ball and risk himself than they will have to pay him a minimum of $37,000,000 a year..... anything less Dak will tell them to go pound sand.

This is why Dak has not been signed to a long term deal. Unless something drastic changes Jerry will have to give in. He gave into Dez, Zeke, & Lawrence.... history is on Dak's side.

Talk is cheap. Jerry & Stephen say Dak is the man.... but if they really really felt that way they would have paid him already and not sacrificed the 2019 season with the circus atmosphere the drama and the distraction. Having a lame duck coach did not help matters.

Bottom line Dak will get paid. In 2-3 years Dallas will have very little supporting cast. Dallas will be lucky to go 6-10. In addition the NFC East will get a lot better. Dallas is going to have additional problems with not having a good draft in about 3-4 years. Charlton, Hill, etc. To sign Dak means saying good bye to a stud corner in Jones..... the bigger problem is you are now moving everyone up one notch. Now instead of Jones on the field your 4th corner will be out there. Dallas probably will have to say goodbye to Quinn and his 15 sacks? In 14 games. Can they re-sign Cobb? What about Amari? Have people forgotten how bad the Dallas offense was pre-Amari.

CB61

Reaction score
For the kind of money Dak Prescott is wanting, the Cowboys can get just about any quarterback they want- even an established veteran from another team.
Why would a new head coach want to be forced to base his success on a quarterback who choked in front of the entire NFL in 2019?
The Cowboys can make a deal to trade up to the number one overall pick and take Burrows or Lawrence, or they can take Case Keenum in free agency and draft a successor.
They could go after Teddy Bridgewater, Nick Foles, or even Derek Carr. All of these quarterbacks mentioned have more impressive resumes than Dak.
I think Dak can be serviceable, but not great. And the Cowboys can't afford to invest the kind of money he is demanding in him after his poor performance in the last 8 games of 2019.
With a new head coach and personnel changes that will inevitably come with him, the Cowboys would be silly to invest big money into a quarterback who the film shows missed wide open receivers repeatedly with the 2019 season on the line.
The Cowboys can win next season, but they will have to do it with a more consistent quarterback.
Prescott was Garrett's last best hope.
They both showed all of the trademarks of Garrett's tenure in Dallas.
Good point but I think Jerry has already made up his mind that's the problem

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
That's debatable

What's not debatable is he has more documented failures than successes. Which was your reason for dismissing the other guys who have respectively won a Super Bowl MVP award and appeared in an NFC championship game

It’s not debatable at all, really.

Dak has had far more documented quarterback successes—passer rating, QBR, pro bowl appearances—than Keenum or Foles.

It’s not close.

kskboys

Reaction score
I have an idea if you don’t like the threads stop posting in them. I guess both sides can’t stop doing what they’re doing.
Hey, I have another idea!!! If you don't like what I post, don't read it!!!!!!!

BoysForLife

Reaction score
It’s not debatable at all, really.

Dak has had far more documented quarterback successes—passer rating, QBR, pro bowl appearances—than Keenum or Foles.

It’s not close.

Sure. Being elected to the pro bowl as QB for one of the most popular sports franchises in the world is highly preferable to being named Super Bowl MVP.

You got me there. :lmao2:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For the kind of money Dak Prescott is wanting, the Cowboys can get just about any quarterback they want- even an established veteran from another team.
Why would a new head coach want to be forced to base his success on a quarterback who choked in front of the entire NFL in 2019?
The Cowboys can make a deal to trade up to the number one overall pick and take Burrows or Lawrence, or they can take Case Keenum in free agency and draft a successor.
They could go after Teddy Bridgewater, Nick Foles, or even Derek Carr. All of these quarterbacks mentioned have more impressive resumes than Dak.
I think Dak can be serviceable, but not great. And the Cowboys can't afford to invest the kind of money he is demanding in him after his poor performance in the last 8 games of 2019.
With a new head coach and personnel changes that will inevitably come with him, the Cowboys would be silly to invest big money into a quarterback who the film shows missed wide open receivers repeatedly with the 2019 season on the line.
The Cowboys can win next season, but they will have to do it with a more consistent quarterback.
Prescott was Garrett's last best hope.
They both showed all of the trademarks of Garrett's tenure in Dallas.

Quality QBs rarely hit free agency.

It does not matter how much money a team is willing to spend...Aaron Rodgers, Mahomes, Brady, etc. won't be available.

Trading up in the draft is NOT related to how much a team has to spend under the cap.

Multiple teams with a higher pick than the Cowboys want to draft a QB...

IslandCowboy

Reaction score
Sure. Being elected to the pro bowl as QB for one of the most popular sports franchises in the world is highly preferable to being named Super Bowl MVP.

You got me there. :lmao2:
Nick Foles got hot for a short stretch in the playoffs. Since then and before then he has done nothing.

Iago33

Reaction score
His franchise tag puts his salary between 32 and 33 million. Does anyone think he will take less than that?

Would you?
Less guaranteed overall or less per year. I think there’s a difference between 1 year $32 million and 4 years $120 million with $50 million guaranteed. I’d take the bigger guarantee.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
No. That’s my defense for Cowboys QB = automatic pro bowl.

When did I say that?

It isn't automatic. But it's easier for a Cowboys player to make the pro bowl, considering fan voting is the major factor.

So again, I concede your argument. Dak's better than Quincy Carter. I change my mind.

Pay the man. Whatever he's asking for. QBs better than Quincy don't grow on trees LOL

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
its what wentz/Gioff got so given next man up type deal in daks TIER, thats where those numbers come from.. im, not paying Dak more then 30 unless sits filled with 5million in big time incentives ie escalators from playoff wins, NFCCG, and a SVB appearances bet on himself that way.. 30 in TX goes way farther then anywhere else and well know hes getting marketing deals being our QB..

if he and his agent cant see clearing through the woods with that logic, hes getting the NON EXC FT and lets see what TRUE market Dak falls in by offers from other teams we can match or get two 1st rounders..

Well, I understand the whole 32/33 number that has been discussed in general but that's not the way the Tag works, which is what was being discussed. The tag, depending on which one you use, is an average of the top average Salaries in a given year. For example, the Exclusive Franchise Tag is an average of the top 5 salaries at the QB position. A None Exclusive Franchise Tag is an average of the top 5 cap hits at the QB position. A Transitional Tag is an average of the top 10 salaries at the QB position of the prior year. So there are a few different types of Tag that could be applied but none of them, so far as I can tell, average out to 32/33 mil a year. This is why I don't understand why the article is suggesting that this would be the contract that Dak would get if the Cowboys tagged him. If the 5 players they named are, in fact, the 5 highest at the QB position, then their numbers are obviously wrong. It could not be 32/33.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
When did I say that?

It isn't automatic. But it's easier for a Cowboys player to make the pro bowl, considering fan voting is the major factor.

So again, I concede your argument. Dak's better than Quincy Carter. I change my mind.

Pay the man. Whatever he's asking for. QBs better than Quincy don't grow on trees LOL

You suggested Dak made the Pro Bowl because he was the Cowboys QB. It certainly didn’t help Romo. Fan voting counts a third. The pro bowl is an award based on aggregate performance. Super Bowl MVP means you played well in a single game. Ask Larry Brown about that.

Gameover

Reaction score
He doesn't quit or choke when things aren't going well.
It’s called a flawed strategy by the coaches, you buffoon

It was the head coach who thought he could pass his way too prosperity, you buffoon

it was the head coach who wanted to show the outed coordinator he could win his way, you buffoon

it was the head coach who thought he could pass on NE the way he did Detroit, you buffoon. Did you watch last night game, you buffoon? Strategy, you or the head coach wouldn’t know anything about that, you buffoon. Deshaun: 25 pass vs Buffalo Dak: 49 passes vs Buffalo. You Buffoon... I don’t know who is the bigger buffoon, you or Garrett

it was the head coach who turned Zeke into Marion Barber , you buffoon

it was the head coach who called nearly 40 pass plays a game over the last ten games or so, you buffoon

Last edited:

BoysForLife

Reaction score
You suggested Dak made the Pro Bowl because he was the Cowboys QB. It certainly didn’t help Romo. Fan voting counts a third. The pro bowl is an award based on aggregate performance. Super Bowl MVP means you played well in a single game. Ask Larry Brown about that.

Ok, good, now we've reached the next level of the Dak O Phant. Romo critique.

What's next? Can't wait to see it LOL.

You're flailing bro. Just let it go. It's ok