CFZ For those who saw all of them: Rank the All-Time Cowboys QB Arm Strength!

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Was reading the thread about Bob Hayes vs Tyreek Hill and saw the post about Meredith and Hayes having the longest throw in NFL history without YAC? Got me thinking... for those who have seen all our QBs. (Okay, you can get by without Eddie LeBaron, but you at least need to start with Don Meredith!) How would you rank their arms? No accuracy talk, no mobility or pocket presence.... just straight up, which QBs had the strongest arms?

For extra credit... include backup QBs. LOL Remember, we had Randall Cunningham, Vinny Testaverde, and some others who were known for strong arms.

The beauty of this comparison is it can withstand the test of time. This is a skill that stays the same whether you were a QB in 1960 or 2023.

I realize deepest throw doesn't always mean hardest throw or most accurate, I'll let you decide how you want to classify it. I've seen Aikman publicly admit Romo was a better QB, but he was referring to his overall athleticism, not his arm.

I ask because I honestly don't know... My memories start with Danny White. This is something that you surprisingly can't Google. A search only shows all QBs in NFL history. Hope to see some good stuff in this thread from the old school fans!

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Was reading the thread about Bob Hayes vs Tyreek Hill and saw the post about Meredith and Hayes having the longest throw in NFL history without YAC? Got me thinking... for those who have seen all our QBs. (Okay, you can get by without Eddie LeBaron, but you at least need to start with Don Meredith!) How would you rank their arms? No accuracy talk, no mobility or pocket presence.... just straight up, which QBs had the strongest arms?

For extra credit... include backup QBs. LOL Remember, we had Randall Cunningham, Vinny Testaverde, and some others who were known for strong arms.

The beauty of this comparison is it can withstand the test of time. This is a skill that stays the same whether you were a QB in 1960 or 2023.

I realize deepest throw doesn't always mean hardest throw or most accurate, I'll let you decide how you want to classify it. I've seen Aikman publicly admit Romo was a better QB, but he was referring to his overall athleticism, not his arm.

I ask because I honestly don't know... My memories start with Danny White. This is something that you surprisingly can't Google. A search only shows all QBs in NFL history. Hope to see some good stuff in this thread from the old school fans!
Troy had the strongest arm no doubt.
Roger Staubach was the best QB, no question.

Irv88

Reaction score
QB challenge had Aikman, Vinny and Cunnigham (around 1991-1994). They had a three way tie at 75 yards IIRC. They went again and Vinny hit 77 and won. Unless Farve is on your team, that should settle it (he threw 80 in a different year but it went out of bounds). Morton get an honorable mention at 4th place, but he was not beating those three.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
QB challenge had Aikman, Vinny and Cunnigham (around 1991-1994). They had a three way tie at 75 yards IIRC. They went again and Vinny hit 77 and won. Unless Farve is on your team, that should settle it. Morton get an honorable mention at4th place, but he was not beating those green.
I was wondering about Craig Morton... is that why Landry flirted with him so much instead of just going with Staubach? One of those arms you couldn't stop talking about?

Brax

Reaction score
I’ve seen everyone including Eddie and DM had a very strong arm, Clint Longley might have had the strongest I’d put DM up top mainly because he threw the bloated pigskin called the Duke not the ball that’s smaller like the old AFL ball.

Brax

Reaction score
I was wondering about Craig Morton... is that why Landry flirted with him so much instead of just going with Staubach? One of those arms you couldn't stop talking about?
CM was a drop back pocket passer and TL preferred that, he didn’t like the scramble. RS was just so much better and as it went TL went with RS after he went to Tex and asked for a trade if he couldn’t be a full time starter

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
QB challenge had Aikman, Vinny and Cunnigham (around 1991-1994). They had a three way tie at 75 yards IIRC. They went again and Vinny hit 77 and won. Unless Farve is on your team, that should settle it (he threw 80 in a different year but it went out of bounds). Morton get an honorable mention at 4th place, but he was not beating those three.
I tried to find that year on YouTube, but couldn't find anything before 1998. I want to say I went back and saw an Aikman-Young-Simms-Kelly-etc one, but don't see it now.

JustChip

Reaction score
I would say Cunningham, Morton, Testaverde and Aikman were all upper echelon or tier 1. I thought about including Ryan Leaf because I was blown away the first time I saw him in person at a game - he threw an absolute rocket. I didn’t include because I might have been awed just because of the QB slop I was used to seeing.

leeblair

Reaction score

Gary Hogeboom had a cannon.

ATXSRT

Reaction score
I would say Cunningham, Morton, Testaverde and Aikman were all upper echelon or tier 1. I thought about including Ryan Leaf because I was blown away the first time I saw him in person at a game - he threw an absolute rocket. I didn’t include because I might have been awed just because of the QB slop I was used to seeing.
I played D2 football at West Texas A&M 06-08. Ryan Leaf was our QBs coach then. I can confirm he had a cannon. Super funny guy too. Sad to see he was involved in some off field instances after I graduated. But I think he's recovered now, so good on him!

blueblood70

Reaction score
#1) Cooper Rush
#2) Matt Cassel
#3) Brandon Weeden
#4) Jameill Showers

Everyone else ain't even close.
You know what that needed to be said like that and complete sarcasm just to stop posts like this who cares who has the strongest arm by the way I think Tony Romo was one of the better overall quarterbacks we've ever had you take everything into account and put them on Roger staubach's or Troy aikman's teams and let's see how he plays I mean we're losing the fact that the coaching and the teams were better for those two that won Super Bowls then they have been for Romo or Prescott..