CFZ For those who saw all of them: Rank the All-Time Cowboys QB Arm Strength!

Jumbo075

Reaction score

It's not an official record, but that is the unofficial record.

Meredith had the strongest arm among starters for the Cowboys, and if someone was close, it was prolly Morton.
I thought it was a 83 yard TD that traveled 77 yards in the air. But my memory is hazy, so you may be correct.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Huh? What stat is that?

I’ll tell you what it is.

It’s the 20/20 rose colored glasses of hindsight stat.

It’s been 30 years. People tend to get a little fuzzy.

We had an absolutely dominant and dynastic team before a salary cap. Troy was great, but let’s not start elevating him into top ten all time.
I saw Aikman up close in training camp many times. His accuracy was literally such that he could hit the top, middle or bottom of the jersey number and right, middle or left depending on where the specific receiver preferred the ball.

I saw him meltdown because WR Kevin Williams couldn't consistently break on a route at exactly the same depth every time. Aikman went out and pointed to the ground where KW cut vs where Aikman expected him to cut and the difference was literally the length of his shoe...Not a full step or a full yard but about 12 inches.

Romo had to tolerate Dez whose breaks varied by multiple yards when he actually ran the correct route. Most of the time Dez just ran a random route and Romo had to runn around waiting for Dez to get somewhat open.

On the flip side, Mike Irvin ran the most precise and repeatable routes of any NFL WR not named Jerry Rice.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Huh? What stat is that?

I’ll tell you what it is.

It’s the 20/20 rose colored glasses of hindsight stat.

It’s been 30 years. People tend to get a little fuzzy.

We had an absolutely dominant and dynastic team before a salary cap. Troy was great, but let’s not start elevating him into top ten all time.
Aikman was the most accurate QB in NFL history based on the most common definition of accuracy.

Put up a target the size of a players single digit jersey number at 20 yards and Aikman could likely hit it 100 times out of 100.

Create a moving target that moves the same everytime and he would have the best percentage of hitting that target.

His limitation was if the moving target was unpredictable. Troy wouldn't have made it through 1 training camp with Dez as his top WR.

Romo was far less physically gifted but his best ability was improvisation. He alowed Dez to succeed when Aikman/Brady would have banned Dez from the field.

Also, Aikman was not the best deep ball passer. He could hit a stationary target at deep depth as well as anybody but other QBs were better at anticipating where the WR would be located on deep routes.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chad Hutchinson had the strongest arm with no doubt. A bazooka. However he could not hit the side of a barn, and I mean a big barn. He was brought in to be the next Troy the first year Pacells was here. I saw him in Training camp. PS. Best QB in camp was Tony Romo.
everytime he threw the ball i had to squint and scratch my head

he really looked like he didnt belong on the field 70% of the time
Hutchinson had about the worst pocket presence that I've seen; although, Brandon Weeden was almost as bad in that regard.

kskboys

Reaction score
I thought it was a 83 yard TD that traveled 77 yards in the air. But my memory is hazy, so you may be correct.
Since he was prolly in the pocket, it prolly traveled more like 90 yds in the air.

kskboys

Reaction score
1) Vinny Testaverde
2) Troy Aikman
3) Randall Cunningham
4) Gary Hogeboom
5) Roger Staubach
Explain to me how you leave out Dandy.

And if you're counting backups, Trey Lance has the strongest arm ever to don a Cowboys uniform. Plus, Hogeboom beats out Aikman easily.

quickccc

Reaction score
Explain to me how you leave out Dandy.

And if you're counting backups, Trey Lance has the strongest arm ever to don a Cowboys uniform. Plus, Hogeboom beats out Aikman easily.
Never saw Dandy Dan play.

And I prefer to comment/rank players i've actually seen play, than just piggy back ride because of what is
heard what Dandy Dan was back in the day.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
There has never been a starting Cowboys QB who was ever known as one of the strongest arms of his time. If you look for a list of the strongest NFL arms all time, you won’t find any Cowboys even mentioned inthe top 20.

quickccc

Reaction score
Aikman was the most accurate QB in NFL history based on the most common definition of accuracy.

Put up a target the size of a players single digit jersey number at 20 yards and Aikman could likely hit it 100 times out of 100.

Create a moving target that moves the same everytime and he would have the best percentage of hitting that target.

His limitation was if the moving target was unpredictable. Troy wouldn't have made it through 1 training camp with Dez as his top WR.

Romo was far less physically gifted but his best ability was improvisation. He alowed Dez to succeed when Aikman/Brady would have banned Dez from the field.

Also, Aikman was not the best deep ball passer. He could hit a stationary target at deep depth as well as anybody but other QBs were better at anticipating where the WR would be located on deep routes.
Early on, Aikman struggled with being able to put air under his deep throws ,... it's an area he eventually improved.
I've heard it said that the bigger testament to a QB's arm strength is more his ability to zip the sideline out route on a tight rope to targets, than it is lobbing passes where receivers can run under it.

Joe Montana was one of the more effective deep bomb passers we've seen, but he never possessed a powerful cannon arm. He knew how to throw those deep lobs early downfield and with air under his passes before a WR hit
their top speed in the route.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Never saw Dandy Dan play.

And I prefer to comment/rank players i've actually seen play, than just piggy back ride because of what is
heard what Dandy Dan was back in the day.
Don Meredith had a plenty strong arm and threw some very long passes that Bob Hayes ran under.