CFZ For those who saw all of them: Rank the All-Time Cowboys QB Arm Strength!

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Where did I say that? I know he did but don’t think it was fastest of all the Cowboys QB’s.
As far as fastball, Michael Irvin is always pretty honest about that. Especially from his Pro Bowls. Aikman doesn’t win for the quarterbacks of his era, but I’m not sure who wins all time Cowboys.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Was reading the thread about Bob Hayes vs Tyreek Hill and saw the post about Meredith and Hayes having the longest throw in NFL history without YAC? Got me thinking... for those who have seen all our QBs. (Okay, you can get by without Eddie LeBaron, but you at least need to start with Don Meredith!) How would you rank their arms? No accuracy talk, no mobility or pocket presence.... just straight up, which QBs had the strongest arms?

For extra credit... include backup QBs. LOL Remember, we had Randall Cunningham, Vinny Testaverde, and some others who were known for strong arms.

The beauty of this comparison is it can withstand the test of time. This is a skill that stays the same whether you were a QB in 1960 or 2023.

I realize deepest throw doesn't always mean hardest throw or most accurate, I'll let you decide how you want to classify it. I've seen Aikman publicly admit Romo was a better QB, but he was referring to his overall athleticism, not his arm.

I ask because I honestly don't know... My memories start with Danny White. This is something that you surprisingly can't Google. A search only shows all QBs in NFL history. Hope to see some good stuff in this thread from the old school fans!
Aikman
Hogeboom/Collier
Morton
Prescott
Staubach
Meredith
White
Romo
Weakest - Walsh and Johnson

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
As far as fastball, Michael Irvin is always pretty honest about that. Especially from his Pro Bowls. Aikman doesn’t win for the quarterbacks of his era, but I’m not sure who wins all time Cowboys.
Me either, I’m looking at purely ball velocity(mph). I can’t find anything on Troy but Baker Mayfield threw 60mph :omg:

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I was wondering about Craig Morton... is that why Landry flirted with him so much instead of just going with Staubach? One of those arms you couldn't stop talking about?
Morton was the Cowboys first-round draft choice in 1965, and spent his first years backing up Don Meredith. He performed extremely well when he played in relief of an injured Meredith. The plan, obviously was that Morton would take over whenever Meredith retired, and that's exactly what Landry did. Then Staubach showed up, in the same year Morton became the starter, 1969. Landry had drafted him in a late round, as an afterthought. He was the Heisman Trophy winner, but he had an obligation to serve in the Navy for 4 years. No one knew if he would still be good at football, or if he would even want play. He could have re-signed to stay on with the Navy. However, he showed up as a 27-year-old rookie, and was all enthusiastic and wanting to play. Morton was the pocket-passer kind of quarterback that Landry's system was designed for. At first, it seemed like Staubach was erratic, and took too many risks with the football. And Morton had had four years to learn the system, one which was new to Staubach. So, at the time, it made sense to Landry to start Morton. Morton was the starter for two years, '69, and '70. It took some time for Staubach to prove that he was the better athlete. In '71, Morton started the season, but Landry changed to him several games in, I forget how many, maybe about 5 or 6. Staubach led them all the way to their first Super Bowl victory. That was the final proof that Staubach was the guy. If there was any doubt at all left, that was taken care of by a 1972 playoff game against the 49ers. In '72, Staubach was hurt in the preseason. He had a separated shoulder. So Morton was back starting. Morton did pretty well, guiding the team to the playoffs. Then in that Divisional playoff game against the 49ers, they jumped out way ahead. Morton was having an awful day, getting sacked, pressured, and a previous injury to his elbow was hurting his accuracy. So Landry sent in Staubach, who then lead an incredible come-from-behind victory. At that point it was obvious that Staubach was the guy. Morton stayed around for a bit as a really good backup, but then Landry traded him to the Giants for the #1 draft pick that he used to get Randy White.

rags747

Reaction score
Morton was a specimen much in the Aikman mode. Pretty much the same size at 6’4” 225 or so. Before Morton got hurt he could have been our long term answer. Want to say that he hurt his shoulder vs New Orleans but it’s a long long time ago.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I never say him play, but I've heard a few old timers say Meredith had a great arm and was (and is) very underrated overall.

Troy did have a great arm though. Seeing him and Garrett up close at training camp in the Gailey years was like watching Nolan Ryan vs a high school kid.

rags747

Reaction score
Morton was the Cowboys first-round draft choice in 1965, and spent his first years backing up Don Meredith. He performed extremely well when he played in relief of an injured Meredith. The plan, obviously was that Morton would take over whenever Meredith retired, and that's exactly what Landry did. Then Staubach showed up, in the same year Morton became the starter, 1969. Landry had drafted him in a late round, as an afterthought. He was the Heisman Trophy winner, but he had an obligation to serve in the Navy for 4 years. No one knew if he would still be good at football, or if he would even want play. He could have re-signed to stay on with the Navy. However, he showed up as a 27-year-old rookie, and was all enthusiastic and wanting to play. Morton was the pocket-passer kind of quarterback that Landry's system was designed for. At first, it seemed like Staubach was erratic, and took too many risks with the football. And Morton had had four years to learn the system, one which was new to Staubach. So, at the time, it made sense to Landry to start Morton. Morton was the starter for two years, '69, and '70. It took some time for Staubach to prove that he was the better athlete. In '71, Morton started the season, but Landry changed to him several games in, I forget how many, maybe about 5 or 6. Staubach led them all the way to their first Super Bowl victory. That was the final proof that Staubach was the guy. If there was any doubt at all left, that was taken care of by a 1972 playoff game against the 49ers. In '72, Staubach was hurt in the preseason. He had a separated shoulder. So Morton was back starting. Morton did pretty well, guiding the team to the playoffs. Then in that Divisional playoff game against the 49ers, they jumped out way ahead. Morton was having an awful day, getting sacked, pressured, and a previous injury to his elbow was hurting his accuracy. So Landry sent in Staubach, who then lead an incredible come-from-behind victory. At that point it was obvious that Staubach was the guy. Morton stayed around for a bit as a really good backup, but then Landry traded him to the Giants for the #1 draft pick that he used to get Randy White.
Pretty much spot on, Good job!

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Aikman
Hogeboom/Collier
Morton
Prescott
Staubach
Meredith
White
Romo
Weakest - Walsh and Johnson
Interesting… White over Romo? Was wondering where some of you who have seen all of them would put White, Romo and Prescott.

I also thought Dandy Don would be ranked higher by old school fans. Cool to hear Aikman still wins with most of you. As an 80s/90s fan, Aikman is my QB, same as Staubach is for all the 70s fans.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I never say him play, but I've heard a few old timers say Meredith had a great arm and was (and is) very underrated overall.

Troy did have a great arm though. Seeing him and Garrett up close at training camp in the Gailey years was like watching Nolan Ryan vs a high school kid.
Dude… I did watch Nolan Ryan up close when he played for the Texas Rangers. Even over 40 still had one hell of an arm. Never forget it. Never been more in awe of a pitcher warming up. LOL

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If limited to guys that were the starter, and intended to be starter for several years, probably Aikman. For whatever reason I don't remember enough about Hogeboom's arm. I was drunk quite a bit in the early to mid1980's.

If all are considered, I would think Cunningham. Guy could sling a football and had a rubber arm. Vinny had a cannon as well.

Brax

Reaction score
Clint Longley eh? Even though he’s before my time, I know the stories.

Didn’t think about ball changes, good point.
Clint could throw the ball, sucker punching Roger was a real bad career move. AFL was a passing league and had a ball easily to throw and a little smaller in diameter , after Broadway Joe beat the invisible Colts the merger was inevitable. AFL football was already a passing league and I believe the old school NFL saw the light that fans liked the exciting passing offense game and not the Defensive, run oriented lower point contests the NFL was still playing, slowly after the merger they went with a ball geared to passing and turned the direction of the game to a pass oriented game. The rules that followed in the late 70s through today are all to that end.Defense was the standard, the Cowboys won a playoff game against Detroit 5-3 on the way to SB 5 I believe . A better game, not to me where defenses are castrated and flags fly for touching receivers and QBs are basically untouchable.

JustChip

Reaction score
Wasn’t Jerry Rhome drafted in 65, too?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
but Randall could sling his arm (which was long and skinny) like a bullwhip and just fling a frozen rope 50 yards with just a fluck of the wrist.
Thank you for talking about the different types of arm strength. I always get frustrated when "arm talent" is discussed. Seems so few people understand that it's what you can do with the ball using just your arm \ shoulder. Ie, without getting power from your legs & torso.

You are absolutely correct. Some guys have strong arms driven by their muscles but more often than not don't have the "whip" that other guys get from their elbows & wrists. It's rare that a guy has both.

Guys like Randall, Vick, Lamar, Rodgers who can just flick it on a rope. Guys like Elway, Marino, Aikman could drive it without being able to step into it. Tremendous advantage when your guys can make off platform throws.

Some guys need their platform to generate any power. Ie, they have weak arms.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was Jason Garrett
th

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Thank you for talking about the different types of arm strength. I always get frustrated when "arm talent" is discussed. Seems so few people understand that it's what you can do with the ball using just your arm \ shoulder. Ie, without getting power from your legs & torso.

You are absolutely correct. Some guys have strong arms driven by their muscles but more often than not don't have the "whip" that other guys get from their elbows & wrists. It's rare that a guy has both.

Guys like Randall, Vick, Lamar, Rodgers who can just flick it on a rope. Guys like Elway, Marino, Aikman could drive it without being able to step into it. Tremendous advantage when your guys can make off platform throws.

Some guys need their platform to generate any power. Ie, they have weak arms
I remember first time I saw Elway in a game and he made an off balance deep throw. My old man was watching the game at the time and might have taught me my first cuss word.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dude… I did watch Nolan Ryan up close when he played for the Texas Rangers. Even over 40 still had one hell of an arm. Never forget it. Never been more in awe of a pitcher warming up. LOL
I played with his son Reid at Texas, even faced him a few times in the minors. I always asked him if his dad would pitch to me….just once! He never would for anyone, I’m guessing insurance purposes :huh:

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Interesting… White over Romo? Was wondering where some of you who have seen all of them would put White, Romo and Prescott.

I also thought Dandy Don would be ranked higher by old school fans. Cool to hear Aikman still wins with most of you. As an 80s/90s fan, Aikman is my QB, same as Staubach is for all the 70s fans.
White was a baseball prospect out of high school. He could hum the ball. Same for Staubach, and Aikman who had strong baseball pedigrees (arm strength).

JustChip

Reaction score
If limited to guys that were the starter, and intended to be starter for several years, probably Aikman. For whatever reason I don't remember enough about Hogeboom's arm. I was drunk quite a bit in the early to mid1980's.

If all are considered, I would think Cunningham. Guy could sling a football and had a rubber arm. Vinny had a cannon as well.
Cunningham had lost some arm strength by the time he played for the Cowboys, but was still very good. Man, he could disappear a ball up an elephant’s hooter from 80 yards when he started out with the Eagles.