CFZ For those who saw all of them: Rank the All-Time Cowboys QB Arm Strength!

quickccc

Reaction score
1) Vinny Testaverde
2) Troy Aikman
3) Randall Cunningham
4) Gary Hogeboom
5) Roger Staubach

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Dak is much more accurate than Troy. Troy will admit it and the stats back it up.

Dak’s career completion is like 6th all time in the NFL. Troy was around 50th

Dak also has more average yards per completion (before the inevitable “yeah, he can’t throw past five yards” )

Still, it was a different era so it’s really hard to compare any modern QB to those from 20, 40 years ago
Geez. Troy is renowned even by other HOF QB's as being pin point accurate. Troy's completion % wasn't great because Troy was a great QB who didn't mind throwing the ball away & moving onto the next play. Also, in difficult situations he was more than willing to use his accuracy to put it where only his guy had a chance.

kskboys

Reaction score
The problem with questions like this is it’s a different eras. Today’s professional athletes are so far physically superior to athletes of the 60s and 70s. You really can’t even compare the two. And that’s not taking away anything from those back then it’s just how it is. As far as just raw arm strength? That definitely would’ve been Aikman. Romo really didn’t have tremendous arm strength….He had a very quick release and had an unbelievable ability to buy himself extra time in the pocket with excellent pocket presence and the ability to make quick reads. Prescott really doesn’t have that strong of an arm either.
Meredith.

Man, how do you guys not know this? Dude had a howitzer of a cannon.

kskboys

Reaction score
All joking aside, in looking at the QBs that have played anything resembling competent play at the position, here's how I would rate their arm strength:
  1. Randall Cunningham
  2. Craig Morton
  3. Troy Aikman
  4. Drew Bledsoe
  5. Roger Staubach
  6. Quincy Carter
  7. Tony Romo
  8. Danny White
  9. Dak Prescott
  10. Don Meredith
Then you need to go back and do your research on Meredith. He's at the top of the list.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I was wondering about Craig Morton... is that why Landry flirted with him so much instead of just going with Staubach? One of those arms you couldn't stop talking about?
He stayed with Craig Morton, mainly because he didn’t like Staubach running with the football. Landry was old-school and wasn’t used to QB’s running around. He wanted them to stay in the pocket. I saw an interview with Craig Morton, and he said as long as Roger kept running with the ball, it kept Morton in the lineup. Once Landry realized it was working with Staubach he changed his tune.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don't see the relevance of ranking which Cowboys QB had the strongest arm. That didn't make them the best, the most accurate, the most winningest, the most popular, or the most accomplished. So it really doesn't even matter. What does matter is that our current QB, Dak Prescott is at his very best this weekend in Philly.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Geez. Troy is renowned even by other HOF QB's as being pin point accurate. Troy's completion % wasn't great because Troy was a great QB who didn't mind throwing the ball away & moving onto the next play. Also, in difficult situations he was more than willing to use his accuracy to put it where only his guy had a chance.
Huh? What stat is that?

I’ll tell you what it is.

It’s the 20/20 rose colored glasses of hindsight stat.

It’s been 30 years. People tend to get a little fuzzy.

We had an absolutely dominant and dynastic team before a salary cap. Troy was great, but let’s not start elevating him into top ten all time.

nobody

Reaction score
Huh? What stat is that?

We had an absolutely dominant and dynastic team before a salary cap. Troy was great, but let’s not start elevating him into top ten all time.
Why don't you compare their playoff records -and- stats. One elevated his game for the playoffs, the other choked *mic drop*

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Huh? What stat is that?

That's the point. It's not a stat. It's the truth behind the numbers.

Troy ran a timing based offense in which his receivers have repeatedly said they could run blindfolded and still catch the ball because they knew exactly where it would be.

Also, Troy has openly spoken about Dak's struggle with accuracy and his opinion that accuracy can't truly be corrected if you didn't develop it early on.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Don Meredith threw a TD pass to Bob Hayes that traveled 77 yards in the air. As far as I know, that is still the longest pass in the air in the history of the NFL. But I could be wrong.

kskboys

Reaction score
Don Meredith threw a TD pass to Bob Hayes that traveled 77 yards in the air. As far as I know, that is still the longest pass in the air in the history of the NFL. But I could be wrong.

It's not an official record, but that is the unofficial record.

Meredith had the strongest arm among starters for the Cowboys, and if someone was close, it was prolly Morton.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't see the relevance of ranking which Cowboys QB had the strongest arm. That didn't make them the best, the most accurate, the most winningest, the most popular, or the most accomplished. So it really doesn't even matter. What does matter is that our current QB, Dak Prescott is at his very best this weekend in Philly.
Then why you in this thread?