CFZ For those who saw all of them: Rank the All-Time Cowboys QB Arm Strength!

blueblood70

Reaction score
The problem with questions like this is it’s a different eras. Today’s professional athletes are so far physically superior to athletes of the 60s and 70s. You really can’t even compare the two. And that’s not taking away anything from those back then it’s just how it is. As far as just raw arm strength? That definitely would’ve been Aikman. Romo really didn’t have tremendous arm spring three had a very quick release and had an unknown human likability to buy himself extra time in the pocket with excellent pocket presence and the ability to make quick reads. Prescott really doesn’t have that strong of an arm either.
This is what I've been trying to say I think that the only way to prove this is somehow get a time machine and bring back all of them in their prime and bring them onto a field that's set up with a bunch of targets with actual pressure sensors at different and varying yardages and then also have them launch from a standing still and one from a moving forward position and then see how it all works out scientifically there is no other way to prove it people's eyes cannot remember nor compare unless they're all on the field at the same time in their primes people here claim they know because they seen them all I'm sorry what you might be seeing on the field as a stronger arm it's just your eyes because that's what you remember that doesn't make it a stronger arm... Just about all our starting quarterbacks in the NFL real true starters have a strong enough arm to make every throw some are a little stronger than others it doesn't matter but there's a reason Cooper rush is a backup because he doesn't have a strong arm at all he is a **** dunker that occasionally could put some air under one to make it deep but anyone who thinks Prescott doesn't have a strong arm or Romo I I don't get it like how you gonna prove it prove it

scientifically prove it

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I believe that 80 yard hurl is the longest officially documented throwing of a football in history
It's very difficult to throw a football over 65 yards. If you don't have a tight spiral, it's almost impossible to get into the 70's. Any imbalance in the rotation of the ball just kills momentum over those distances even in calm conditions.

Back when they had those QB competitions, one of the big armed QB's (can't remember which one) was always a favorite but never could win it. He could not throw a spiral that held true. Inevitably began to wobble late in the throw.

When someone uncorks one for those distances you can almost be assured that it was a perfect spiral.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
CM was a drop back pocket passer and TL preferred that, he didn’t like the scramble. RS was just so much better and as it went TL went with RS after he went to Tex and asked for a trade if he couldn’t be a full time starter
Morton didn’t like to scramble because had horrible knees.

Plankton

Reaction score
All joking aside, in looking at the QBs that have played anything resembling competent play at the position, here's how I would rate their arm strength:
  1. Randall Cunningham
  2. Craig Morton
  3. Troy Aikman
  4. Drew Bledsoe
  5. Roger Staubach
  6. Quincy Carter
  7. Tony Romo
  8. Danny White
  9. Dak Prescott
  10. Don Meredith

Rock423

Reaction score
Was reading the thread about Bob Hayes vs Tyreek Hill and saw the post about Meredith and Hayes having the longest throw in NFL history without YAC? Got me thinking... for those who have seen all our QBs. (Okay, you can get by without Eddie LeBaron, but you at least need to start with Don Meredith!) How would you rank their arms? No accuracy talk, no mobility or pocket presence.... just straight up, which QBs had the strongest arms?

For extra credit... include backup QBs. LOL Remember, we had Randall Cunningham, Vinny Testaverde, and some others who were known for strong arms.

The beauty of this comparison is it can withstand the test of time. This is a skill that stays the same whether you were a QB in 1960 or 2023.

I realize deepest throw doesn't always mean hardest throw or most accurate, I'll let you decide how you want to classify it. I've seen Aikman publicly admit Romo was a better QB, but he was referring to his overall athleticism, not his arm.

I ask because I honestly don't know... My memories start with Danny White. This is something that you surprisingly can't Google. A search only shows all QBs in NFL history. Hope to see some good stuff in this thread from the old school fans!
Don’t laugh, but Quincy Carter had a cannon.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
I only watched from Staubach on, but strongest arm by my eye.
Brandon Weeden. He could thread a needle and had a cannon. With that said, EVERY, defensive coordinator had the book on him. Play coverage under and intercept.
The man had no touch at all, from where I was watching. Tight spiral, strong arm......interception waiting to happen because he had no touch.
He even seemed to make the correct reads........it was just amazing to me how little touch he had with the ball though.

As far as strength....QCarter had a cannon as well but the mental side seemed to confuse him. Dak has a better arm than given credit for, but accuracy kills him.

As far as starting QB's since I started watching mid 70's....Troy had the strongest arm with accuracy. Roger the best overall QB though because just like the reason Mike is the Goat in BBall......thrived on the pressure and determination won.

Not real sure how he wanted the rankings, whether starters, or starters and backups, or if they ever took a snap as a Cowboys QB........but I have Troy as the strongest most accurate starter, and Roger as the best overall. I didn't watch Clint Longley or Dandy Don so I defer on those two.

joseephuss

Reaction score
What does it mean to have a strong arm? Is it having a running start and throwing it as far as you can? Or is it dropping back, hitting that last step and then whizzing the ball on a deep out?
I think Bledsoe had an extremely strong arm and could sling it with little effort. Testaverde could probably throw it as far as anyone with a running start, but his passes always seemed to dip when passing from the pocket. Aikman and Dan Marino threw a timing out route about as best as anyone in league history.

Creeper

Reaction score
Chad Hutchinson was a major league baseball pitcher at one time. He had a very strong arm. Too bad he couldn't play football.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Many sources list the competition being held from 1990 up until 2007, though in a video of one of the events it mentions the record throw in the competition was 80 yards by Vinnie Testaverde achieved in 1988, and there are other references to competitions held in Hawaii in the 1980s.
Baker Mayfield has the longest in air throw in NFL history at 70.5 yards.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was reading the thread about Bob Hayes vs Tyreek Hill and saw the post about Meredith and Hayes having the longest throw in NFL history without YAC? Got me thinking... for those who have seen all our QBs. (Okay, you can get by without Eddie LeBaron, but you at least need to start with Don Meredith!) How would you rank their arms? No accuracy talk, no mobility or pocket presence.... just straight up, which QBs had the strongest arms?

For extra credit... include backup QBs. LOL Remember, we had Randall Cunningham, Vinny Testaverde, and some others who were known for strong arms.

The beauty of this comparison is it can withstand the test of time. This is a skill that stays the same whether you were a QB in 1960 or 2023.

I realize deepest throw doesn't always mean hardest throw or most accurate, I'll let you decide how you want to classify it. I've seen Aikman publicly admit Romo was a better QB, but he was referring to his overall athleticism, not his arm.

I ask because I honestly don't know... My memories start with Danny White. This is something that you surprisingly can't Google. A search only shows all QBs in NFL history. Hope to see some good stuff in this thread from the old school fans!

Throwing deep vs 20 yard line drives are different types of arm strength.

Randall Cunningham had an effortless deep ball but couldn't come close to Aikman's ability to throw the proverbial "20 yard out route".

Gary Hogeboom had a Cannon arm but wasn't a good QB.

Vinny had a big arm but was about 40 when he came to Dallas.

Side Note:
- Aikman most accurate in NFL history.
- With regards to throwing "to a spot".

NFL best accuracy including ad lib and anticipation to throw past/around defenders is probably Aaron Rodgers.

Basically Aikman best at hitting a moving tire swing if he knew ahead of time how fast it would move. AR at his best anticipating the swing speed.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Aikman had the strongest arm and was the most accurate passer. Staubach was the best all around QB.
Dak is much more accurate than Troy. Troy will admit it and the stats back it up.

Dak’s career completion is like 6th all time in the NFL. Troy was around 50th

Dak also has more average yards per completion (before the inevitable “yeah, he can’t throw past five yards” )

Still, it was a different era so it’s really hard to compare any modern QB to those from 20, 40 years ago

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Dak is much more accurate than Troy. Troy will admit it and the stats back it up.

Dak’s career completion is like 6th all time in the NFL. Troy was around 50th

Dak also has more average yards per completion (before the inevitable “yeah, he can’t throw past five yards” )

Still, it was a different era so it’s really hard to compare any modern QB to those from 20, 40 years ago
Aikman said Dak is more accurate than him? :huh:

Kwyn

Reaction score
Aikman said Dak is more accurate than him? :huh:
It would take a lot of time to track it down but he’s long lauded Dak’s accuracy as being one of his best abilities, along with his leadership.

Troy is and always has been a fan of Dak.