For You "Old-Timers"

NotForLong

Reaction score
Is it just me or has anyone over the age of 50 noticed that the never-ending list of injured players on today's teams dwarfs teams from the past? I know the players are bigger and faster, yada, yada, yada but, I KNOW for a fact they don't hit any harder than back in the day. Heck, the rules don't allow them to ..

Why do these guys seem to run for the medical tent and IR at every opportunity? Pampered, been told you're the hottest thing since Tabasco sauce since you were 12 years old? Business decisions protecting the contract? Free agency and lack of team cohesion?

Love to hear your thoughts ..
When there were only 45 men active rosters everybody had to play

Praxit

Reaction score
...its the Cell phones, man. ADHD is also prevalent with players.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Is it just me or has anyone over the age of 50 noticed that the never-ending list of injured players on today's teams dwarfs teams from the past? I know the players are bigger and faster, yada, yada, yada but, I KNOW for a fact they don't hit any harder than back in the day. Heck, the rules don't allow them to ..

Why do these guys seem to run for the medical tent and IR at every opportunity? Pampered, been told you're the hottest thing since Tabasco sauce since you were 12 years old? Business decisions protecting the contract? Free agency and lack of team cohesion?

Is it just me, or does anyone else over the age of 70 think the guys people over 50 watched were wusses with their pansies little helmets

Diehardblues

Reaction score

There’s no depth on teams anymore due to Salary Cap meaning no pressure on the bench someone is going to take your spot when out with injury.

Plus with the huge salary differential from signed veterans to rookie contracts unless there’s an opening teams simply can’t afford to bench starters once they can play.

It’s why we basically just release starters when their contract comes up if we think we can replace in draft or their demands outweigh their value.

Salary Cap has changed how we manage teams. And while there’s still cream at the top there’s not as much depth waiting on the bench in most cases.

MikeB80

Reaction score
a little bit of this is that todays teams have to disclose injuries. The nfl in the 70s and 80s was so different. There was a quarter of the media and population paying attention to the games and the teams did not have to disclose information and make players and coaches available to talk.

CWR

Reaction score

I'm always down to crap on the younger generations. S A W F T!!! Lol

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
Today's players are pansies, weak minded. Back in the day, football players were the toughest men in the country. If a guy broke his arm, they were back on the field in two weeks on the outside, wearing a cast and kicking butt. Today's players get a booboo and can't play for 6-8 weeks. Players today are just not as tough as those back in the day.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Here come the boo mers talking about how great and tough they were. When they are the worst generation in history along with being the most entitled generation.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That Hass to be the most idiotic statement of the month. Stop being such a baby. I’m serious . If you can’t distinguish common sense compared to reality. got more issues and I can help you with

I can't.

And I would like to thank my teachers over the years for that.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Look I didn’t throw the first punch. I’m just trying to teach you and anybody else. Who doesn’t understand. Don’t be so sensitive.

Well don't leave me hang. How did our imaginary conversation that only occured in your head end?

conner01

Reaction score
League rules have changed for reporting injury.

Today if a player gets a hangnail it has to be reported.
That is a part of it. Things that weren’t reported years ago are now
I think the players are bigger and faster and that’s a huge factor
I met bob lily once and compared to me he’s huge, but compared to today’s players he’s small. There are just so many 300 lb guys out there and even those guys are freakish athletes
A guy like parsons playing LB with CB speed is just one example of how the athletes of today are such freaks compared to the old days

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You don't want to think they hit any harder but of course they do. If you're bigger, stronger and faster you're going to hit harder. It's common sense. The players of today would physically dominate the players of that era you worship.

Injuries are such a big deal now because players are allowed to be injured. So they take advantage of it. The moment Parcells arrived in Dallas our injury report was cut in half. Amazing how that works.

What used to be a pain issue you played through 50 years ago is now a 4-6 week vacation for the player to talk about his feelings. It's the same weak mindset that has teams forfeiting preparation in the preseason for fear of injury and calling it smart. Yet for all that "intelligence" players today get injured more than they ever have.

That era might be surprised by a few high school teams of this era.

conner01

Reaction score
Thank you, somebody who finally got it right
That’s certainly a factor in reported injuries
A slight pull in the 60’s wouldn’t even been known
But then again there wasn’t 24 hour sport reporting either
If there was some of today’s off field stuff wouldn’t compare to what was happening in those days

Praxit

Reaction score
Today's players are pansies, weak minded. Back in the day, football players were the toughest men in the country. If a guy broke his arm, they were back on the field in two weeks on the outside, wearing a cast and kicking butt. Today's players get a booboo and can't play for 6-8 weeks. Players today are just not as tough as those back in the day.
..I hear ya point, mate. I think its more NFL regulation and player safety, that puts a bind on players. Players now are Investments. Stupid? ..yes. Cant have your multi-million product run on peg leg.

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
COVID, because of sports betting accepted by the NFL, social media, and it is not manipulated as it was in the past. Manipulated by not reporting or over reporting. Belichick can end up like Hofa if he did now what he used to do with injury reports.
Ooooooh……you said the “C” word. You’re gonna get a timeout……

pitt33

Reaction score
I guess you don’t have a memory either. You kept saying he hurt his shoulder. I told you it was a lactobacillus Muscle. Maybe you chose not to pay attention
Lactobacillus is a bacteria.

It’s actually a common beer spoiler found during beer manufacturing from a lack of cleaning.

Are you referring to lactic acid buildup?