Forget Dak, he's not the problem

erod

Reaction score
I don't know, as that guy is forgettable up there in the Northeast. :laugh:
What's hilarious is that the Eagles, after finally winning a Super Bowl, are about to lose 4 straight to the Cowboys and watch their Super Bowl-winning quarterback resurrect the Jaguars to their 2017 form.

Only a loser franchise like Philly can do that.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
You can't blame Dak for that interception. That was play-calling. The Packers studied the play and knew what to do when it was called. That's on JASON GARRETT or whoever the offensive coordinator was at the time. Dak placed the ball where he always placed it. All interceptions aren't on the quarterback.

It was actually a really bad pass and I'm not even entirely sure he was targeting the right player.

erod

Reaction score
No. If a ball hits a receiver in the hands and bounces into a corners hands, is that on the quarterback? Of course, not.

Second, no, if a quarterback throws a ball where it should be - particularly on a quick play like the Beasley play - and the defensive player makes a good read, it's not the quarterback's fault. The other team can make great plays too.

The way many of you look at it is that the offensive is ALWAYS at fault or gets all the credit. But that takes away from the defense. If Lawrence Taylor blitzes off the edge so fast that the OT can't react in time and the quarterback gets hit and fumbles the ball, is that the quarterback's fault or did LT just make a great play?

No, I don't believe that all interceptions, sacks, fumbles are the quarterback's fault. That takes away from the efforts of the defense.

Uh, that's what I said.

And of course I don't blame a QB when he's blind-sided.

You tried to blame a pick on play-calling, which is silly.

erod

Reaction score
It was actually a really bad pass and I'm not even entirely sure he was targeting the right player.

Wow, who the hell was that even thrown to? It would have hit Dez in the foot, and Beasley was behind him.

Ridiculous throw, and telegraphed to boot.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

He was throwing it to Beasley. Micah Hyde was eyeing it all the time. It didn't matter where Dak threw the ball, it was going to be picked (unless Hyde dropped it) because he was eyeing the play the whole time. In essence, he knew the play was coming.

If anything, Dak was too inexperienced for that game, though he got things together later. The Packers knew the Cowboys' tendencies. Maybe the Cowboys couldn't change much because 1.) they were dancing with the game plan that got them there or 2.) Dak was too young to add new wrinkles to the game plan. Maybe they didn't want to confuse him.
Nevertheless, that play never should have been called.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Uh, that's what I said.

And of course I don't blame a QB when he's blind-sided.

You tried to blame a pick on play-calling, which is silly.

No, it's not silly. That happens quite often.
You have a rookie quarterback. He doesn't get to change the play.
Yes, I blame in on play calling.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
He was throwing it to Beasley. Micah Hyde was eyeing it all the time. It didn't matter where Dak threw the ball, it was going to be picked (unless Hyde dropped it) because he was eyeing the play the whole time. In essence, he knew the play was coming.

If anything, Dak was too inexperienced for that game, though he got things together later. The Packers knew the Cowboys' tendencies. Maybe the Cowboys couldn't change much because 1.) they were dancing with the game plan that got them there or 2.) Dak was too young to add new wrinkles to the game plan. Maybe they didn't want to confuse him.
Nevertheless, that play never should have been called.

If he threw that high, there is absolutely no indication that would have been picked. The fact that it hit Hyde in the gut tells me it was an errant throw from the beginning - it seems he thought Beasley was supposed to be near where Dez was, I'm not even sure it would have hit Beasley's feet, it may have hit the ground before it even reached him.

Just a poor pass. Costly too, we had the momentum at that point in the game.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
The only stat we need on the Patriots is that they are the most balanced team, year in year out, in the NFL. Top 10 in run, pass, O and D.

They are not built to compete one way but every way. Wanna play it tight, a little smash mouth? Wanna air it out and get into the 30's? There is no other team like them.
The consistency is unbelievable.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And having to rely on a first year OC. I see a ulcer in his near future.
I think the best thing about him is he'll keep his compass in the right direction. He's spent his life with people short selling him so he's hardened to the criticism and there will be that from the local media.

Kellen Moore is going on the main stage, front an center, and will get more talk time than any coordinator because it's the Cowboys and he's new to the job. He will struggle, what coach doesn't? The best D minds in football are scheming against him but where quite a few here don't like that, I love it! That adds a little something special to the season.

I also don't get the concern with the schedule, hell, I wanna play LA, NO, CHI, GB. MIN and NE not to mention the hard to ever figure NFC East. I don't want any easy games even against the other AFC East teams.

Moore is getting trial by fire but one thing I believe that's in his corner is that the majority of those players would rather have him than Linehan. Having a coach that you want makes a lot of difference. They believe in him but he will have to show them early on he was worthy of their faith. He has to prove it to those guys before he proves it to anyone else. And with no more than we know about him, except the opinions of others that know more than I do, I do not understand why anyone thinks he can't do it. There's no evidence to support either thinking but why not go with the positive when given the opportunity?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
If he threw that high, there is absolutely no indication that would have been picked. The fact that it hit Hyde in the gut tells me it was an errant throw from the beginning - it seems he thought Beasley was supposed to be near where Dez was, I'm not even sure it would have hit Beasley's feet, it may have hit the ground before it even reached him.

Just a poor pass. Costly too, we had the momentum at that point in the game.

LOL! Hyde was staring that down the whole way. Low or high, he was coming in for the pick. Now, if you're talking about high as in overthrow, okay, I'll concede your point.
But that pass had interception all over it.

But I don't feel like continuing to argue this point. We can agree to disagree. :)

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don’t think we will ever see a team do that again. Wish it was us. We Cowboys fans would have such big heads we wouldn’t fit through the door. Lol.
We had something similar or next best from 1966-1982 with 12 championship appearances in 17 years, 7 of those in the 70’s with 5 SB appearances.

We came awful close. We went to Champ Game in 66,67,70,71,72, 73, 75,77,78,80,81 and 82.

Lost 2 NFL titles on last play basically. Lost our 1st SB on last play and 2 other SB coming down to last possession. Those are 5 more SB we could have easily won from 66-78. And that doesn’t count losing 81 champ game on last possession.

Cowboys had a great enough team and certainly in position to have won 8 -10 Super Bowls in that stretch alone. I’d argue our history is what has given us our big heads. At least those of us who lived thru all of it.

glimmerman

Reaction score
We had something similar or next best from 1966-1982 with 12 championship appearances in 17 years, 7 of those in the 70’s with 5 SB appearances.

We came awful close. We went to Champ Game in 66,67,70,71,72, 73, 75,77,78,80,81 and 82.

Lost 2 NFL titles on last play basically. Lost our 1st SB on last play and 2 other SB coming down to last possession. Those are 5 more SB we could have easily won from 66-78. And that doesn’t count losing 81 champ game on last possession.

Cowboys had a great enough team and certainly in position to have won 8 -10 Super Bowls in that stretch alone. I’d argue our history is what has given us our big heads. At least those of us who lived thru all of it.
I agree, I just mean a dynasty like the pats in today’s salary capped era.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The offense wasn't the issue (passing game wise) in the post season. That's what counts. Your offensive ranking is skewed.

But keep dreaming of this unicorn elite QB that will NOT effect the salary cap as 99% of all elite QBs do. All that will do is take away opportunities for better talent around him. Romo got elite salary and look what happened.

It's fundamentally unsound reasoning to point the finger at Prescott when the team won the division, beat Seattle in the wildcard round and the running game and defense got stuffed. All that considered, you STILL blame the QB and suggest that's an area of weakness. Never mentioning the REAL weakness that beat the QN
That's why it's difficult to take you serious.
But here you are?

I’m not trying to convince you . I’m just providing my perspective for others to consider a different viewpoint.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As a fan who became an exclusive fan in the Ice Bowl, a loss, I also caught a glimpse of what this QB could be in a loss.

Dak was too inexperienced and thought it was easier than it really is for a rookie QB in that GB game. That game was set in motion when it was reported that the Cowboys were loose and enjoying the moment and the Packers were all business and had their game faces on. I think a coach like Johnson or Parcells doesn't let them be that loose, especially with a rookie QB. That was bad strategy from the beginning and horrible tactics once it was underway and before he knew it, he was down 21-3 against an offensive powerhouse.

Then he commits the rookie QB sin, a pick while in scoring territory and some QBs, especially rooks, would crater under that and the media would be talking about "too much too soon" the next day but that's not what happened.

The reason that game came down to a 1 in 1000 play and the Cowboys weren't beaten by double digits was one player. That QB, that isn't elite, didn't know that as he kept his team in the game and through his drive and dedication inspired his team, including his D, to not give up and stay in the fight.

I thought 'we've got something here in this kid because he's got no quit' and expected him to take the next step the next season but that was wrong on my part, not his. That too good to be true rookie season not only spoiled him but me and I didn't take into consideration that it wasn't the norm, it wasn't real, it just doesn't happen that way. And sure enough, his soph season was more like what his rookie season should have been because they were prepared for him now. And he was asked to do more.

I don't know why some don't like him as the Cowboys QB1. He's a great story with losing his Mom and playing through that to being on the Heisman list as a junior and then falling off it and falling to the 4th round in a not very deep QB draft and being the 3rd choice of his own team and getting the starting job the same way as he did in high school and college.

I don't know when that word "elite" gets applied to QB's just what that means. There is a difference between being an elite QB and elite passer and he is not an elite passer. However, take the other components of playing QB like determination, heart and leadership, he most certainly is elite.

So, my bottom line on Dak Prescott, and this is partly because I am accepting the obvious that he is going to continue to be our QB1, is that he will never be an elite passer. However, pocket presence and better timing can be improved and he can get into that lower top 10 by improving on just those two components. And he can win rings and yes, that's an s on the end of that.

erod

Reaction score
No, it's not silly. That happens quite often.
You have a rookie quarterback. He doesn't get to change the play.
Yes, I blame in on play calling.

It's not about changing the play. It's about not throwing the ball.

Look, interceptions happen. But that isn't the fault of the coach. These aren't robots. If it isn't there, you throw it away. Period.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree, I just mean a dynasty like the pats in today’s salary capped era.
I wonder what the landscape would look like without the Mad Scientist in NE. I do not like the way he presents himself or his respect for the rules but he amazes me that he is so good at what he does and no one else is even close.

Parity is for some but not me, I want greatness. I want to look at something in awe and admiration that it is superior to everything else, like I used to do with the Boys and Niners, that was such a treat for the senses to watch those two teams square off and it was the Steelers before that. Human beings aren't built to seek parity but greatness.

Don't like NE and Belichick and Brady and love them for being here now to give me greatness or we would have a lot of just good teams. I didn't like the 60's Browns or Packers, 70's Steelers, 80's Niners or this current offering of greatness but I am so glad it was and is there. Even when my team was losing to them, they were losing to greatness.

erod

Reaction score
The offense wasn't the issue (passing game wise) in the post season. That's what counts. Your offensive ranking is skewed.

But keep dreaming of this unicorn elite QB that will NOT effect the salary cap as 99% of all elite QBs do. All that will do is take away opportunities for better talent around him. Romo got elite salary and look what happened.

It's fundamentally unsound reasoning to point the finger at Prescott when the team won the division, beat Seattle in the wildcard round and the running game and defense got stuffed. All that considered, you STILL blame the QB and suggest that's an area of weakness. Never mentioning the REAL weakness that beat the QN
That's why it's difficult to take you serious.
Teams win in spite of their quarterback. There have been many, many examples of this over time.

Dak isn't bad. He's just not that good. He dang sure isn't a $30 million quarterback, but Jerry loves him because he tows the line and keeps his mouth shut. Not to mention saving him some face after Quincy, Hutchinson, Henson, and his famous Weeden comments.

You saw him without Zeke in 2017. You saw him before Amari last year. Dak needs everything around him to be perfect to be successful. That's not what $30 million should buy you.

But he's going to get it because he stood by Jerry during a tough time, and there certainly aren't any other promising options.

The problem is, they're about to pay Dak, Zeke, and Amari, just after signing Lawrence, Martin, Frederick, and Smith.

Jaylon Smith will probably have to be let go soon, along with Byron Jones. It's going to be tough when Awuzie, LVE, Gallup, Woods, etc, start coming due.

Brady and Brees can cover a lot of vacancies by themselves. That's not Dak.

glimmerman

Reaction score
It's not about changing the play. It's about not throwing the ball.

Look, interceptions happen. But that isn't the fault of the coach. These aren't robots. If it isn't there, you throw it away. Period.
Wasn’t that a short yard 2nd down.. I seem to remember being very angry. He could have ran it off tackle himself and picked it up and more. Could have handed it to Elliot and he could have fell forward for the first. When he saw the defender wasn’t backing off and in fact going to jump the route he should have never thrown that pass. The speed of the game made him snap it and run the play. If he was in the same position today I don’t think he throws that pass..

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Teams win in spite of their quarterback. There have been many, many examples of this over time.

Dak isn't bad. He's just not that good. He dang sure isn't a $30 million quarterback, but Jerry loves him because he tows the line and keeps his mouth shut. Not to mention saving him some face after Quincy, Hutchinson, Henson, and his famous Weeden comments.

You saw him without Zeke in 2017. You saw him before Amari last year. Dak needs everything around him to be perfect to be successful. That's not what $30 million should buy you.

But he's going to get it because he stood by Jerry during a tough time, and there certainly aren't any other promising options.

The problem is, they're about to pay Dak, Zeke, and Amari, just after signing Lawrence, Martin, Frederick, and Smith.

Jaylon Smith will probably have to be let go soon, along with Byron Jones. It's going to be tough when Awuzie, LVE, Gallup, Woods, etc, start coming due.

Yes. teams struggle when their play-makers aren't on the field. Thank you for the update.

glimmerman

Reaction score

I think the team wins despite there HC. The 30 million a year is the going rate for a starting QB. I don’t agree with it either but it’s market rate. Like going to a restaurant and paying market price for the lobster. Lol.

JJ is sold in him.