Former Cowboy coaches not fairing well in job market

Kaiser

Reaction score
Take a look at when many of the best to ever coach the game became a HC in the NFL. Forty is starting looking like life has passed you by, especially in today's NFL. I never could see what all the buzz was around this guy. With all the talent he had in Seattle, it's hard hard to distinguish where the player skills ended and the coaching kicked in. It was quite telling that Carroll moved on from him in 2017.

He could evolve into head coaching material for a team some day, but that won't be until earn some of his stripes back.

Agree on earning it back but disagree on the age 40 comment. At age 47 Bilichick was an unemployed failed HC with a losing record. It wasn't until McVay started a trend that anyone seriously looked at a HC under age 40.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed, TO told ppl and this guy for your but got outcast. The truth comes to the light eventually.

LOL! TO wasn’t even in Dallas under Garrett as a HC coach. And the team’s offensive performance in 2007-2008 when TO was here and Garrett was OC is a matter of record. The offense wasn’t “figured out.” That’s just TO being a cancerous idiot.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I can agree with that.
And that’s basically all I’ve argued over the years. And why I called Garrett our “greatest puppet”. I’ve always held Jerry more responsible for the coaches we’ve had. And the staffs. Parcells up to now in last generation only exception. But Jerry still got in the way.

Garrett to me was always just an extension of Jerrys dysfunctional ways and why I went to bat for Garrett. Cause if we were going to be stuck with Puppets , Garrett was one who appeared to have influence on Jerry’s personnel decision process building better teams.

This stretch with Garrett was arguably ( especially since 2014) the best of this dysfunctional generation with Jerry’s foolishness. That’s why I supported and defended. I didn’t want another Wade, Campo or Gailey situation.

Even with Bill which was a better situation didn’t have anymore success. And why I’m not sold McCarthy will either. The toxic atmosphere and dysfunctional organization under Jerry I believe is too much for anyone to overcome.

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
Just to prove the point how hamstrung this team has been over the years by its coaching. Just about all of the main coaches have taken a step backward since either moving on ore being fired from Dallas

Kris Richard - unemployed
Scott Linehan - unemployed 2019, current passing game cooridinator at LSU
Rod Marinelli - Defensive line coach Las Vegas Raiders
Jason Garret - OC NYG

So, the rest of the league has spoken and all of the above were in positions beyond their capability in Dallas. Explains a lot

OK, so I always thought that Garrett was a mediocre OC, but I really thought that he would be better as a Head Coach. I was wrong. In my opinion, each of these guys were "overemployed" in Dallas and are great examples of The Peter Principle.

Kris Richard - Best as a Defensive Backs Coach, here he was DC-in-Training
Scott Linehan - Best as a QB Coach, here he was OC.
Rod Marinelli - Best as a DL Coach, here he was Defensive God-King
Jason Garret - Best as a QB Coach or scout. He is great at analyzing stuff, but woefully unable to adjust on the fly if his plan isn't working.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Agree on earning it back but disagree on the age 40 comment. At age 47 Bilichick was an unemployed failed HC with a losing record. It wasn't until McVay started a trend that anyone seriously looked at a HC under age 40.
Look closer and Belichick was submarined in Cleveland by a midnight move. He did a great job there.

RandyOh

Reaction score
7 INTs won't make you too many hiring lists.
no but his work on the Seahawks as Defensive coordinator will get him a job. Someone already answered my question. Hes holding out for a coordinator job on the west coast.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Look closer and Belichick was submarined in Cleveland by a midnight move. He did a great job there.

He did and Cleveland is still a trainwreck. But it still took Belichick another five years to get a HC job at age 48. I just don't agree that age 40 is past their prime for an NFL coach.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
He did and Cleveland is still a trainwreck. But it still took Belichick another five years to get a HC job at age 48. I just don't agree that age 40 is past their prime for an NFL coach.
Not past prime, but a good number of the great ones got their start prior to their mid 40s. I would be surprised to see KR get a HC gig before he hits 45. He will likely have to regain his prominence from the Seattle days by circling back as a position coach and working his way up to be a successful a coordinator.

Becoming and NFL HC is difficult. Becoming a successful NFL HC is extremely difficult.

Dre11

Reaction score
Although he wasn’t as sure about this, he also thought that Richard may have had his hand forced in some ways by Garrett or even the ownership in some decisions.

He didn’t huh?

he did not, that was the writer intersecting, listen to the audio, not what the writer interjected. I listen to the whole thing in Frazier's words

dwreck27

Reaction score
He’s been around quite a while at this point. Under some fairly influential coaches and owners. I’m not sure what the deal was, but he sure had fans fooled when he came with the way he handles himself.

They turned on him pretty quickly, though.
I remember him tearing into everyone on the sidelines that one game.. game escapes me and I told myself can’t wait to see everyone proclaim this is the coach we need simply because we finally got some emotion on the sidelines.

Sure enough since that time he had fanboys dedicated to pumping him up.

pansophy

Reaction score
Of course not. Garrett fans like to try anything to put superior coaches in his tier. Garrett belongs in a much lower one than McCarthy. Every non cowboy fan knows this. MOST cowboy fans know it
Why does not remembering McCarthy had a job offer make me a Garrett fan?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I remember him tearing into everyone on the sidelines that one game.. game escapes me and I told myself can’t wait to see everyone proclaim this is the coach we need simply because we finally got some emotion on the sidelines.

Sure enough since that time he had fanboys dedicated to pumping him up.

You mean the pregame shoving match before PHI? Lol.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why does not remembering McCarthy had a job offer make me a Garrett fan?

I checked his fancard. He’s not in our club, everybody. He just forgot a minor detail about McCarthy.

dwreck27

Reaction score
You mean the pregame shoving match before PHI? Lol.
Yes! Lol tried to find some footage but it passed my 5 mins of trying time I give things like this!

Wouldn’t be surprised if he takes a DB job at a place like Arizona or Carolina in a year with some HCs who like to keep that fire on their staff

lostar2009

Reaction score
LOL! TO wasn’t even in Dallas under Garrett as a HC coach. And the team’s offensive performance in 2007-2008 when TO was here and Garrett was OC is a matter of record. The offense wasn’t “figured out.” That’s just TO being a cancerous idiot.

TO tried to warn ppl about Garrett

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Ed reed and Ray lewis are liars. Ok buddy. 3 hall of famers.....one trash coach one trash fan. Hmmmmmmmm