giphy.gif

:laugh:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
More than they did.

History shows this team underperformed most years under Garrett. Why can't you just accept the reality that Jason Garrett just wasn't a really good coach? He was just adequate, average, mediocre. Not great, not terrible. Just blah.

Because I disagree that they should have won “more than they did.” We had a good team that got old quick, took two and a half seasons to rebuild it, and then contended under Garrett from 2014 on. Reality bears that out.

I’ve never suggested Garrett was a ‘great’ coach, as I’ve said many times. I’ve said repeatedly that he wasn’t the limiting factor in Dallas. His performance makes that obvious if you’re not listening to idiot fans or ESPN. People don’t want to accept that the actual issues are organizational and unlikely to change.

Though I will say that, early on, Jerry does seem to be giving McCarthy more leeway than he did with Garrett. I have no faith that he won’t eventually bring the unnecessary diversions and the open door policy/evaluating his own coach in the press that are the primary way he undermines his own team over and over.

Sydla

Reaction score
Because I disagree that they should have won “more than they did.” We had a good team that got old quick, took two and a half seasons to rebuild it, and then contended under Garrett from 2014 on. Reality bears that out.

I’ve never suggested Garrett was a ‘great’ coach, as I’ve said many times. I’ve said repeatedly that he wasn’t the limiting factor in Dallas. His performance makes that obvious if you’re not listening to idiot fans or ESPN. People don’t want to accept that the actual issues are organizational and unlikely to change.

Though I will say that, early on, Jerry does seem to be giving McCarthy more leeway than he did with Garrett. I have no faith that he won’t eventually bring the unnecessary diversions and the open door policy/evaluating his own coach in the press that are the primary way he undermines his own team over and over.

Reality doesn't bear that out. He spent 2-3 years learning how to be a HC (and still was making coaching mistakes in his 8th, 9th seasons). And then with talented teams, he managed to win only two playoff games in 6 years. Two. A better coach would have taken some of those teams further than Garrett took them.

You simply just struggle to admit you were wrong on Garrett. He was a big factor in our lack of any real success over the last decade (if you want to blame Jerry as well, that's fair).

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Of course not. Garrett fans like to try anything to put superior coaches in his tier. Garrett belongs in a much lower one than McCarthy. Every non cowboy fan knows this. MOST cowboy fans know it
Didn’t remember that.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Reality doesn't bear that out. He spent 2-3 years learning how to be a HC (and still was making coaching mistakes in his 8th, 9th seasons). And then with talented teams, he managed to win only two playoff games in 6 years. Two. A better coach would have taken some of those teams further than Garrett took them.

You simply just struggle to admit you were wrong on Garrett. He was a big factor in our lack of any real success over the last decade (if you want to blame Jerry as well, that's fair).

Let’s not rehash. He rebuilt a bad team and won more games with it—under two different QBs—than anybody but Belichick and Payton. We didn’t lose those playoff games because of coaching. You want to believe different. I get it. Your persistence isn’t going to change my opinion. Neither is the fact that the vast majority of frustrated fans agree with you. My opinion is based solely on what I believe to be important about team building based on the teams I’ve been on and the Cowboys’ actual performance.

The good news is, it looks like we’ve got another really good roster for 2020, and a coach we all have to agree is capable of getting it done. So we’ll see in the coming years here a little bit more about what the challenges really are in Dallas.

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
last I read he was looking for a DC job for a west coast team.

It’s a shame he didn’t want to stay in Dallas.

we could have used his help.

Didn’t want to stay here?

I’m pretty sure that’s not how getting fired works. :lmao:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Or Andy Reid........or Mike Tomlin......i can go on and on. Marvin Lewis declined coordinator jobs. Thats Garretts level......Marvin freakin Lewis
I’d never compare Garrett to any of those HC’s.

Instead I’d compare to former Cowboy coaches like Gailey, Campo and Phillips . Those were more his peers. And why I felt Garrett was the best of our Puppets this generation.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I said that a year ago and clearly didn't predict the defense would fall apart - but neither did anyone else. Richard is regarded as one of the top secondary coaches in the game and a tremendous leader, he might actually be a better Head Coach than DC when he focuses on strategy instead of tactics.

The story will be told one day (and I don't know what it is) but clearly there was a lot of disfunction among the defensive coaches last year. Some of that has to be on Richard but some falls on Bloom and Garrett also.

Also the typical fan move is to laugh at the idea of Richard as a HC (even though a ton of reporters said the same thing prior to this season) but Richard already interviewed for HC job. You can argue part of that is the Rooney Rule and some of it is the Al Davis trick of interviewing opposing coaches to gather intel, but there are a million candidates who would meet the Rooney rule and they did interview Richard, so it isn't a laughable position to say Richard will be a HC one day. He is still only 40 years old.
Take a look at when many of the best to ever coach the game became a HC in the NFL. Forty is starting looking like life has passed you by, especially in today's NFL. I never could see what all the buzz was around this guy. With all the talent he had in Seattle, it's hard hard to distinguish where the player skills ended and the coaching kicked in. It was quite telling that Carroll moved on from him in 2017.

He could evolve into head coaching material for a team some day, but that won't be until earn some of his stripes back.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

That’s pure speculation that a greater HC would have taken any of those teams further.

Phillips has a couple pretty talented teams and didn’t take them any further.

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
Those are opinions not factual data.

Garrett was widely respected around the league as a solid OC with a top ten offense most years.

Nobody really expects anyone to have much success as HC under Jerry.

Jason has as much or more success than any others this era with Jerry. Including a couple more experienced and qualified HC.

You’re making a lot of allowances for mediocrity.

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
McCarthy wasn’t pursued by anyone after he was fired. And if we hadn’t hired him no guarantee anyone else hires him this year.

Fake news. The Browns offered him their Head Coach position in 2019 on the condition he retain Freddie Kitchens as OC. McCarthy wanted to pick his own staff and declined the offer.

In hindsight he was absolutely right. Kitchens proved to be in over his head and unable to control a locker room.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Just to prove the point how hamstrung this team has been over the years by its coaching. Just about all of the main coaches have taken a step backward since either moving on ore being fired from Dallas

Kris Richard - unemployed
Scott Linehan - unemployed 2019, current passing game cooridinator at LSU
Rod Marinelli - Defensive line coach Las Vegas Raiders
Jason Garret - OC NYG

So, the rest of the league has spoken and all of the above were in positions beyond their capability in Dallas. Explains a lot
Good post and point. A lot of these coaches just bounce around and slide from one team to another year to year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You’re making a lot of allowances for mediocrity.
I’m not promoting Jason was a great HC claiming he was basically what his record reveals.

And I haven’t disputed his coaching flaws along with lack of inexperience or proven ability.

But I’m also not placing the entire burden on his shoulders as there were several contributing factors.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Fake news. The Browns offered him their Head Coach position in 2019 on the condition he retain Freddie Kitchens as OC. McCarthy wanted to pick his own staff and declined the offer.

In hindsight he was absolutely right. Kitchens proved to be in over his head and unable to control a locker room.
I meant 2020 situation. But bottomline is he still didn’t take the Browns offer which means they didn’t want McCarthy enough to make his exceptions.

Same could have been true here if he wasn’t willing to keep Moore on. But accepted it.

lostar2009

Reaction score
TO already explained the coward clapper as an OC. Said he was good until his offense got figured out. Isnt that what Ed Reed and Ray Lewis echoed as well? I'll take the word of TO, Reed and Lewis to the bank anytime about football. He sucks

Agreed, TO told ppl and this guy for your but got outcast. The truth comes to the light eventually.

Kaiser

Reaction score

Completely fake news. When McCarthy came to Dallas the Giants were trying to get him to at least visit NY but Jerry didn't let him leave without a contract. McCarthy was the hottest candidate on the market.

lostar2009

Reaction score
JG had one good year with Tony Sporano helping him out with the game planning. He was a hot commodity that off season and not since. In fact, his offense and botched OL rebuild is what got Wade Phillips fired and he should have been gone with him. The only reason Jason didn't flame out after his his 3 straight 8-8 seasons start is b/c our owner liked him.

NYG hired him and a lot of that has to do with. his familiarity with division foes.

That is true but he still landed a OC job with the Giants not some down and out Bengals or Browns team. If anything he may be there to help their first year HC.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I meant 2020 situation. But bottomline is he still didn’t take the Browns offer which means they didn’t want McCarthy enough to make his exceptions.

He didn't take the Cleveland offer because it was Cleveland.