Former Cowboy coaches not fairing well in job market

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Well we know for a fact they'd have won at least 9 games without massive mistakes from Red -- the Cardinals game in 2011 and the Baltimore one in 2012. And don't forget the appalling come from ahead losses to the Lions and Matt Flynn in 2013.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The exception is not the rule though. I wouldn't be surprised if that happens less than 1% of the time.

Nobody ever said it was the rule.

As for McCarthy, note the year off part .. that isn't the case with Garrett. Plus, even after a year off it is far from the norm for a fired head coach to get another head coaching gig. Again, we can't pretend that the exceptions are the rule.

But people can somehow 'pretend' that a demoption is 'the rule'? Uh, no. No, they can't.

As for your last sentence, I don't disagree with that for the most part, although Eberflus actually did get springboard from Dallas to a better job, but that's outside the context of what I was discussing.

Good call on Eberflus, I honestly did forget about him.

And, to be clear, I was not saying that I expect Garrett to get another head coaching gig anytime soon, or even at all, I was just saying that the OP suggestion that not walking immediately into another equal job means something specifically about the Dallas coaches ignores the reality that it isn't normal for anyone to do that.

The point I took is that the trajectory of all of them - save Eberflus as you mentioned, is going downward. And now that I think of it, even Eberflus himself reportedly turned down the defensive coordinator job in Dallas to leave for Indianapolis.

But Garrett went down the coaching ranks, Marinelli went down the coaching ranks, Linehan went down the coaching ranks, Callahan went down the coaching ranks, and Richard has yet to even land another job. There's a clear pattern at work here.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
More than they did.

History shows this team underperformed most years under Garrett. Why can't you just accept the reality that Jason Garrett just wasn't a really good coach? He was just adequate, average, mediocre. Not great, not terrible. Just blah.
His record speaks for itself like the rest of our coaches the last couple decades. Fans just became more frustrated with Jerry’s intent to make this one work.

Truth is these last 5 or 6 years under Garrett were the best of the last couple decades.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Cowboys coaches have fared just fine with the exception of Richard.
We overrated Richard and the league has proven that to be the case.

Garrett probably should have taken a head coaching job collegiately but he was always going to end up back in the NY area.
The fact they chose a ST coach over him to head that crew up is an indictment IMHO but not a major slap. NFL OC in your hometown area after only a month out of work isn't bad business.
Rod going to coach DL for Gruden isn't anything but what you'd expect. Dinosaurs dinosaur.
Rod can coach DL and remain employed somewhere until he dies.

Mostly just glad we got new blood in here. Good guys all but success didn't follow and we were doing the same thing year after year.
Which is kinda my gripe with process guys.
Consistency is great in most all things and a trait to be admired but in sports you are trying to cheat death essentially to get an edge.
Simply doing the smart, head down things don't win as much as trading up to go draft Pat Mahomes does.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

But people can somehow 'pretend' that a demoption is 'the rule'? Uh, no. No, they can't.

The point I took is that the trajectory of all of them - save Eberflus as you mentioned, is going downward. And now that I think of it, even Eberflus himself reportedly turned down the defensive coordinator job in Dallas to leave for Indianapolis.

But Garrett went down the coaching ranks, Marinelli went down the coaching ranks, Linehan went down the coaching ranks, Callahan went down the coaching ranks, and Richard has yet to even land another job. There's a clear pattern at work here.
It’s a clear pattern for the Cowboys coaching for last couple decades except for Parcells tenure.

What does that tell you about our GM?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well we know for a fact they'd have won at least 9 games without massive mistakes from Red -- the Cardinals game in 2011 and the Baltimore one in 2012. And don't forget the appalling come from ahead losses to the Lions and Matt Flynn in 2013.
The biggest loss to me was 2011 first Giants matchup where we had them and then overthrew Austin for a TD that basically could have all but sealed that game and placed us in great shape to win the the division at that point. We never recovered.

pansophy

Reaction score
The irony of this thread is that Mike McCarthy was out of the league last year, and by logic of this thread, we must be screwed then.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

And nobody ever said there wasn't a single case of a head coach, or other coach immediately walking into another head coaching gig either. The point was only that it wasn't a normal thing, and therefore the OP isn't making the point he suggests.

Frankly I didn't immediately think of Eberflus either. It took a minute or two of thinking about your comment before it dawned on me. As for him turning down the DC job in Dallas, the reports, as I recall, were that he was too close to Marinelli to feel right about being the reason Marinelli got demoted. In any case, I can't think of anyone else under Garrett that improved his situation, so I agree with your general point.

As for the pattern, I don't disagree, but my point was only that the pattern is normal with fired coaches rather than a commentary on the Cowboy coaches in particualar.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Oh it's not new...

But I also like the suggestion that the Garrett critics are just emotional and "fans" while the defenders are the voice of reason and rationality.
I didn’t say Garret’s critics. I said the emotion of the times.

Which includes everyone on both sides and why I added history usually reflects better than our current emotions.

Last edited:

D4KADON

Reaction score
I thought it was time for Garrett to go . Doesn’t mean he should be blamed for everything.

History will reflect better on his tenure here than the emotions of the time can

He wasted one of the best qbs in franchise history because his ineptitude to grow as a game manager/coach.

I will always regard him as the man who wasted tons of talents in a span of a decade.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And nobody ever said there wasn't a single case of a head coach, or other coach immediately walking into another head coaching gig either. The point was only that it wasn't a normal thing, and therefore the OP isn't making the point he suggests.

Frankly I didn't immediately think of Eberflus either. It took a minute or two of thinking about your comment before it dawned on me. As for him turning down the DC job in Dallas, the reports, as I recall, were that he was too close to Marinelli to feel right about being the reason Marinelli got demoted. In any case, I can't think of anyone else under Garrett that improved his situation, so I agree with your general point.

As for the pattern, I don't disagree, but my point was only that the pattern is normal with fired coaches rather than a commentary on the Cowboy coaches in particualar.
Like Garrett and his staff is some rare exception to the rule. Lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He wasted one of the best qbs in franchise history because his ineptitude to grow as a game manager/coach.

I will always regard him as the man who wasted tons of talents in a span of a decade.
I’d argue Jerry wasted it. Garrett was just an extension of the dysfunctional organization.

Jerry even admits his biggest regret is not surrounding Romo with a better team.

Id add not also surrounding him with better coaching.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That's reasonable. I'm glad that you see my point as well.
:thumbup:

stilltheguru

Reaction score
People like to defend Garrett by trying to bring up super bowl winning coaches failures like Parcells and Mcarthy. What a sick bunch. Pathetic. When that clown still doesnt have a HC gig 3 years from now i wanna hear the excuses.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People like to defend Garrett by trying to bring up super bowl winning coaches failures like Parcells and Mcarthy. What a sick bunch. Pathetic. When that clown still doesnt have a HC gig 3 years from now i wanna hear the excuses.
I don't think anyone is suggesting that Garrett has as much chance to get another head coaching gig as Parcells or McCarthy

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I don't think anyone is suggesting that Garrett has as much chance to get another head coaching gig as Parcells or McCarthy
Or Andy Reid........or Mike Tomlin......i can go on and on. Marvin Lewis declined coordinator jobs. Thats Garretts level......Marvin freakin Lewis

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or Andy Reid........or Mike Tomlin......i can go on and on. Marvin Lewis declined coordinator jobs. Thats Garretts level......Marvin freakin Lewis
Reid and Tomlin currently have head coaching jobs, and I don't see people putting Garrett on their level anyway, so I don't see your point.