Former Cowboy coaches not fairing well in job market

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Had JG worked here totally free I think the result would have been a little different .Never underestimate the silly structure JJ made for this club
also the relationship between the families complicate things more.... it is hard to work for a family business or close friends company.

I think JG will do fine now that he is on his own as for JJ maybe the experience with JG has changed him too to be a little less involved and listen to others more I think JJ this year is not the same JJ we used to know.
so at the end it will work for both.
I expect JG to succeed as a oc. Far better than what they had. I'm a little shocked they didn't do more at receiver though. Grabbing one higher.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
I expect JG to suceed as a oc. Far better than what they had. I'm a little shocked they didn't do more at receiver though. Grabbing one higher.
You are right but i think they see 2020 as a rebuilding year

stilltheguru

Reaction score
TO already explained the coward clapper as an OC. Said he was good until his offense got figured out. Isnt that what Ed Reed and Ray Lewis echoed as well? I'll take the word of TO, Reed and Lewis to the bank anytime about football. He sucks
Jumping from HC to HC is hard in the NFL unless you a big proven name. Most HC flame out take and take leave, then come back again as a HC. But people forget JG as a OC had an upper tier offense. When they was thinking about firing him as OC there was heavy talks about the Ravens making him HC. JJ was feeling regret about his toy. I still believe he is respected in this league. But if he botch the Giants OC gig at best he may be a position coach moving forward.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh I disagree. He will end up back in the NFL at some point. Just like Chan Gailey. These guys find their way back. All of these guys are friends with these GM or owners. I expect it.

Think whatever you want, I'll stick with the facts. Two years after being fired, Linehan can't get back into the NFL. He interviewed with multiple teams, and even the bottom feeders said no thanks.

The league knows that Linehan did less with more and underachieved with one of the most talented offense's in the league.

Do you simply chalk it up to coincidence that the Cowboys offense immediately jumped to #1 the year AFTER he was fired?

How blind do you need to be on this? The league sure isn't.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And it’s normal for coaches who are released or not resigned from a disappointing situation to take a step back. At least temporarily.

Took Gailey about a decade to have some success at Georgia Tech before another shot in NFL at Buffalo.

Campo never received another offer anywhere.

Phillips never received another HC offer falling back into his natural position as DC winning a Ring.

All too often coaches receive too much praise when their teams have success and too much blame when they don’t.

But our coaching overall has been weak for a couple decades due to the agendas of our ownership.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Think whatever you want, I'll stick with the facts. Two years after being fired, Linehan can't get back into the NFL. He interviewed with multiple teams, and even the bottom feeders said no thanks.

The league knows that Linehan did less with more and underachieved with one of the most talented offense's in the league.

Do you simply chalk it up to coincidence that the Cowboys offense immediately jumped to #1 the year AFTER he was fired?

How blind do you need to be on this? The league sure isn't.
So wait....are you blind to seeing that Linehan SUCKED in Detroit and still got another job afterwards.

You talk like Passing Game Coordinator at LSU is some internship.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jumping from HC to HC is hard in the NFL unless you a big proven name. Most HC flame out take and take leave, then come back again as a HC. But people forget JG as a OC had an upper tier offense. When they was thinking about firing him as OC there was heavy talks about the Ravens making him HC. JJ was feeling regret about his toy. I still believe he is respected in this league. But if he botch the Giants OC gig at best he may be a position coach moving forward.

JG had one good year with Tony Sporano helping him out with the game planning. He was a hot commodity that off season and not since. In fact, his offense and botched OL rebuild is what got Wade Phillips fired and he should have been gone with him. The only reason Jason didn't flame out after his his 3 straight 8-8 seasons start is b/c our owner liked him.

NYG hired him and a lot of that has to do with. his familiarity with division foes.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The one good coaching situation we had this era was with Parcells who still has two asst coaches as HC out there with Payton and Zimmer.

But Jerry still got in the way and screwed it up.And Parcells with Payton and Zimmer didn’t have anymore success than Garrett did with Jerry.

Last edited:

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I expect JG to succeed as a oc. Far better than what they had. I'm a little shocked they didn't do more at receiver though. Grabbing one higher.
Suceed meaning what? They were 19th in points and 23rd in yards and that was without their best player for a chunk of time

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Suceed meaning what? They were 19th in points and 23rd in yards and that was without their best player for a chunk of time

Just improve on what they were. Giants may have higher expectation than me. If he can get that offense just to flowing and help Daniel Jones continue to progress....I'd say that's a successful season.

Swanny

Reaction score
I never said they were unemployed. But Richard is not.

Assuming you ever had a job, if you get fired from one job but find a lesser job at half the pay, I guess your still employed right? Success!
Yeah I would say that if I accepted a job it is a success

Diehardblues

Reaction score
JG had one good year with Tony Sporano helping him out with the game planning. He was a hot commodity that off season and not since. In fact, his offense and botched OL rebuild is what got Wade Phillips fired and he should have been gone with him. The only reason Jason didn't flame out after his his 3 straight 8-8 seasons start is b/c our owner liked him.

NYG hired him and a lot of that has to do with. his familiarity with division foes.
Those are opinions not factual data.

Garrett was widely respected around the league as a solid OC with a top ten offense most years.

Nobody really expects anyone to have much success as HC under Jerry.

Jason has as much or more success than any others this era with Jerry. Including a couple more experienced and qualified HC.

Last edited:

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Just improve on what they were. Giants may have higher expectation than me. If he can get that offense just to flowing and help Daniel Jones continue to progress....I'd say that's a successful season.
If those are his expectations I'm glad hes gone. Hes a dime a dozen coordinator. Jerry is an idiot wasting 10 years on a good orator version of Hue Jackson

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If those are his expectations I'm glad hes gone. Hes a dime a dozen coordinator. Jerry is an idiot wasting 10 years on a good orator version of Hue Jackson
Well those are just realistic expectations. To expect them to be a top 10 offense with a young quarterback and Golden Tate as their best receiver? I think the first year the most important thing is developing Daniel Jones.