Former Cowboy coaches not fairing well in job market

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Which has NOTHING to do with Linehan or his career trajectory. Do better.

No, you said that he would. And you've been insisting it would happen. But if you want to backtrack on that, now would be a good time.
I do believe he will get a job but I can't guarantee it. My opinion is based on how I've seen retreads like him stay connected to this league. Bill Callahan, Chan Gailey, Scott Linehan, Norv Turner, etc.........I predict after his LSU job he will take another job in the NFL at some point.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Just to prove the point how hamstrung this team has been over the years by its coaching. Just about all of the main coaches have taken a step backward since either moving on ore being fired from Dallas

Kris Richard - unemployed
Scott Linehan - unemployed 2019, current passing game cooridinator at LSU
Rod Marinelli - Defensive line coach Las Vegas Raiders
Jason Garret - OC NYG

So, the rest of the league has spoken and all of the above were in positions beyond their capability in Dallas. Explains a lot
Haha..

Not only has Garrett lost his HC job.

He lost a 'T.' off his name, too.

Deserves it..must be the Princeton version of his name.

It is obvious we were a black hole under Jason and Jerrah was not exactly a magnet for drawing the needed help.

As much as we are all happy little clams..

the rest of he league thinks Jerrah will go back to his 'Sox to jocks' management style.

Which as we know is incredibly self destructive.

So all we can really hope for is Jerrah stays on the boat, Big Mike gets to direct the Franchise from the Star

and Garret (no T) stays misspelled in the annals of coaching history.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do believe he will get a job but I can't guarantee it. My opinion is based on how I've seen retreads like him stay connected to this league. Bill Callahan, Chan Gailey, Scott Linehan, Norv Turner, etc.........I predict after his LSU job he will take another job in the NFL at some point.

tenor.gif

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Romo was so raw and undeveloped, he made the Pro Bowl and had fans hanging his name in the Ring of Honor.
It’s not uncommon for first or second year starting QB’s make the Pro Bowl. It’s doesn’t mean they are fully developed.

If you didn’t see Romo develop into a more refined QB flourishing in Garrett’s offense then we’ll just have to disagree.

CWR

Reaction score
You’re misrepresenting that hearsay pretty liberally. Here’s what Frazier reportedly had to say about Richard.

“The biggest problem he believed was how Richard was so very detail focused. He introduced a lot of new tweaks and reads that had to be done right or things broke down. There didn’t seem to be enough teaching or perhaps time to do so for it to come together. Frazier also brought up how Richard relied almost exclusively on Cover 3 and man, when in his first two years the defense had also used a lot of Cover 2 and 4. For those who remember that far back, it was reminiscent of how the very complicated Rob Ryan defense keep coming apart back when he was the DC. Although he wasn’t as sure about this, he also thought that Richard may have had his hand forced in some ways by Garrett or even the ownership in some decisions.”

So, he reportedly believed the biggest issues were all Richard.

Yeah it looks that way in context. Maybe Richard isn't that great of a coach. Besides that I stress the **IF** in this scenario, and I dont let Richard off the hook in either event.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
These are the same people claiming those 8-8 seasons were a success because they were "non-losing" years.
I’ve never argued they were success but they were seasons that we were in contention while in a rebuild with one of the Cowboys historically worse defenses.

Most gave credit to Romo , our offense and Garrett holding the team together while overcoming distractions.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The better argument is that they were actually below-average teams.
Historically some of the worst defenses in Cowboy history setting some futility marks in NFL history.

If not for Romo and a top 10 offense most likely 4 or 5 win teams.

2013 was our best chance to break thru but Romo was hurt and unable to play in finale.

Regardless even if we had broke thru in any of those finales winning division at 9-7 very unlikely would make any push in playoffs.

Those seasons were more of a reflection how weak our division was that 9-7 would have won it.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Historically some of the worst defenses in Cowboy history setting some futility marks in NFL history.

If not for Romo and a top 10 offense most likely 4 or 5 win teams.

2013 was our best chance to break they but Romo was hurt and unable to play in finale.

Regardless even if we had broke thru in any of those finales winning division at 9-7 very unlikely would make any push in playoffs.

Those seasons were more of a reflection how weak our division was that 9-7 would have won it. Much like last year.

Yep. All around. But fans can’t distinguish between a good roster and a bad one if they don’t like the coach to begin with.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yep. All around. But fans can’t distinguish between a good roster and a bad one if they don’t like the coach to begin with.
Yep

The bashing of Garrett was similar to the rhetoric we had with Romo blaming him for the win or go home ridiculous media narrative.

There’s some justifiable criticism of Garrett’s coaching ability without blaming lack of meeting our goals all on him. There were certainly other contributing factors.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’d argue Garrett should receive some credit for developing Dak as well.

Sure , Dak had some raw talent and ability but I think most would agree we have seen some development along the way. Much like we saw even more last year with Moore.

Garrett came to us as a young up and coming QB coach thrown into the OC and flourished so much he was pursued for HC positions his first couple seasons.

Looking back he probably should have taken either the Atlanta or Baltimore head coaching jobs when offered.

risco

Reaction score
Just to prove the point how hamstrung this team has been over the years by its coaching. Just about all of the main coaches have taken a step backward since either moving on ore being fired from Dallas

Kris Richard - unemployed
Scott Linehan - unemployed 2019, current passing game cooridinator at LSU
Rod Marinelli - Defensive line coach Las Vegas Raiders
Jason Garret - OC NYG

So, the rest of the league has spoken and all of the above were in positions beyond their capability in Dallas. Explains a lot
But the two people that hamstrung the team the most were able to obtain jobs, so what are you saying?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I thought it was time for Garrett to go . Doesn’t mean he should be blamed for everything.

History will reflect better on his tenure here than the emotions of the time can