Former GM - Fire McCarthy

Yoshimitsu

Lurch
Reaction score
He's a former GM for a reason. Dude hasn't been employed by a NFL franchise in years. Not McCarthys fault he's strapped with the QB and OC he didn't pick. Dude went back to back years with 12 wins despite that. He's the one who said the identity and heart of our team was the defense. McCarthy has his warts but he shouldn't be the scapegoat.

Sydla

Reaction score
> Jets GM

Yeah, let's take it from him.
I mean I don't think he's wrong here.

I don't think McCarthy gives us any kind of edge, especially when the pressure ratchets up and the comp ratchets up in the postseason. I am kind of Switzerland on McCarthy at this point. IMO, if he is back (and I see no reason he won't be based on what Jerry has said), I really think they need to make a change at OC. Not that I think Moore is terrible or that he's to blame for the collapses in the playoffs the last two years. I just think Dak is here because of his contract. Just get him a new voice and a fresh scheme.

But hey, if they want to blow up the whole staff? Fine by me. There's nothing particularly impressive about our coaching staff.

Ask yourself this. Did anyone think the Cowboys had an advantage at HC on Sunday with Shanahan standing on the other sideline?

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A good disciplinarian would be good even if it was just as a shock to the system for a short time.
Tuna coming in that first year was one of those shocks to the system and probably one of his best coaching
jobs with what he had on the team that year,

However I will say this. A coach that is just a disciplinarian and always being hardcore tends to wear thin after some time. I remember Aikman talking about how Jimmy would make up scenarios of drama to try to keep the players on the edge and Aikman said that worked for time but it got too old. There have also been players that did well under Coughlin but said his style got old after sometime and stagnated the team...however I have also read/heard that he had some crazy out there rules and fining a LOT of players. One player got fined for sitting on the bench during a game...he was not playing in the game or dressed. He was a good coach and he made players and teams better but it also wore thin after some time and it hurt him at times. Later he talked about being approached by other coaches because he needed to be a little better to the players and treat them like humans,

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I mean I don't think he's wrong here.

I don't think McCarthy gives us any kind of edge, especially when the pressure ratchets up and the comp ratchets up in the postseason. I am kind of Switzerland on McCarthy at this point. IMO, if he is back (and I see no reason he won't be based on what Jerry has said), I really think they need to make a change at OC. Not that I think Moore is terrible or that he's to blame for the collapses in the playoffs the last two years. I just think Dak is here because of his contract. Just get him a new voice and a fresh scheme.

But hey, if they want to blow up the whole staff? Fine by me. There's nothing particularly impressive about our coaching staff.

Ask yourself this. Did anyone think the Cowboys had an advantage at HC on Sunday with Shanahan standing on the other sideline?
I think McCarthy for sure matched up with Shanahan and that's saying something since Shanahan is one of the better HCs in the league. I couldn't say the same about Garrett when he was here and faced McCarthy in the playoffs. If we had just slightly better QB play last Sunday, we would be in the championship right now.

49ers and Cowboys looked evenly matched for most of the game outside of a single matchup. I think there is a lot of credit to be given to McCarthy and I really don't think he's as easily replaceable as some on here think.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think McCarthy for sure matched up with Shanahan and that's saying something since Shanahan is one of the better HCs in the league. I couldn't say the same about Garrett when he was here and faced McCarthy in the playoffs. If we had just slightly better QB play last Sunday, we would be in the championship right now.

49ers and Cowboys looked evenly matched for most of the game outside of a single matchup. I think there is a lot of credit to be given to McCarthy and I really don't think he's as easily replaceable as some on here think.
If I were the GM of the Cowboys and John Lynch got hammered and called me to swap HCs, I'd do it without even blinking.

Yeah, we stacked up nicely with San Fran. And yes with even mediocre QB play we may have won. But remember, McCarthy was doing that with his starter, Shanahan is doing this with his third string QB.

Big_D

Reaction score
I like McCarthy but both playoff losses and the final plays in both games are really hard to dismiss. They were a laughing stock after last years game with “the slide” and did it one better with the latest debacle. None of that instills real playoff confidence in pressure situations. I think they need to replace Kellen Moore with an offensive minded head coach. Or give mm one more year to see if he can either take over the playcalling or hire his own guy?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
If I were the GM of the Cowboys and John Lynch got hammered and called me to swap HCs, I'd do it without even blinking.

Yeah, we stacked up nicely with San Fran. And yes with even mediocre QB play we may have won. But remember, McCarthy was doing that with his starter, Shanahan is doing this with his third string QB.
That third string QB is looking like it might be the biggest steal of the draft, and even if he loses against the Eagles, he will probably have the leg up in competition next season against Lance and Jimmy G (if he returns)

As for swapping between McCarthy and Shanahan - I mean, yeah, one is younger with more recent success. But we are also matching him up against a top 3 coach in the league.

Sydla

Reaction score
That third string QB is looking like it might be the biggest steal of the draft, and even if he loses against the Eagles, he will probably have the leg up in competition next season against Lance and Jimmy G (if he returns)

As for swapping between McCarthy and Shanahan - I mean, yeah, one is younger with more recent success. But we are also matching him up against a top 3 coach in the league.
He was a third stringer for a reason and Shanahan is squeezing blood from a stone. Maybe he is a steal but it doesn't change the fact Shanahan is doing all of this with a rookie 7th rounder and McCarthy had his proven, 7 year vet that some around here thinks is one of the 10 best QBs in football.

My overall point is that maybe for once, we should have that top 3 HC instead of the retreads and people Jerry can manipulate.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I watched Tannenbaum this morning explain his stance. It made sense.

Bring in a heavy handed GM to reduce the penalties and turnovers.

We all know the problems we have with those. Can't dismiss his idea as some kind of crazy out of left field notion.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I watched Tannenbaum this morning explain his stance. It made sense.

Bring in a heavy handed GM to reduce the penalties and turnovers.

We all know the problems we have with those. Can't dismiss his idea as some kind of crazy out of left field notion.
It's a crazy notion when you factor in who owns, and runs, the Cowboys.