Former Manson family member Leslie Van Houten, released from prison

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
What’s everyone’s opinion on Leslie Van Houten being released? She spent 53 years in prison. She did take part in the murders, but was brainwashed by Manson. Part of me says she should spend the rest of her life in prison, but there’s another part that says she did pay a heavy price and deserves a second chance, because of the influence Manson had over her.

https://www.latimes.com/california/...member-leslie-van-houten-released-from-prison
Funny how it was only the women who people feel like deserve a second chance and not any of the men.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Funny how it was only the women who people feel like deserve a second chance and not any of the men.
The women were all teenagers who fell under the influence of hard drugs and Charles Manson. Van Houten was the youngest one and the only one where an argument could be made that she deserved a second chance, which is why she finally got one. No one in their right mind would think Charles Manson deserved a second chance. He spent more than half of his life in correctional institutions and became the most infamous criminal in American history. Beginning at the age of nine Tex Watson spent time in juvenile reformatories. He was in his mid-20s and already a thug when he met Manson. Just like with Manson the day he dies will be the day he gets out of prison.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
The women were all teenagers who fell under the influence of hard drugs and Charles Manson. Van Houten was the youngest one and the only one where an argument could be made that she deserved a second chance, which is why she finally got one. No one in their right mind would think Charles Manson deserved a second chance. He spent more than half of his life in correctional institutions and became the most infamous criminal in American history. Beginning at the age of nine Tex Watson spent time in juvenile reformatories. He was in his mid-20s and already a thug when he met Manson. Just like with Manson the day he dies will be the day he gets out of prison.
She was not some pure girl seduced by Manson.

Before joining the Manson family she was in a relationship with 2 other women and a man ......... when all 4 broke up Van Houten tried to run over one of the other girls with a van.

After joining the Manson family

Van Houten and another woman held down Rosemary LaBianca. After stabbing Rosemary, Watson gave Van Houten a knife, and she stabbed the woman at least 14 more times. She testified in 1971, “And I took one of the knives, and Patricia had one — a knife — and we started stabbing and cutting up the lady.”

When Barbera Houyt testified at Van Houten's parole hearing in 2013, she said that Van Houten was considered a leader in the Family.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
The truth is Manson did not turn people into killers ....... he attracted violent racist perverted scumbags ........ everyone in his little cult were already violent drugged out freaks before he ever got a hold of them ....... he just lead the idiotic sycophants where they wanted to go in the first place.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
She was not some pure girl seduced by Manson.

Before joining the Manson family she was in a relationship with 2 other women and a man ......... when all 4 broke up Van Houten tried to run over one of the other girls with a van.

After joining the Manson family

Van Houten and another woman held down Rosemary LaBianca. After stabbing Rosemary, Watson gave Van Houten a knife, and she stabbed the woman at least 14 more times. She testified in 1971, “And I took one of the knives, and Patricia had one — a knife — and we started stabbing and cutting up the lady.”

When Barbera Houyt testified at Van Houten's parole hearing in 2013, she said that Van Houten was considered a leader in the Family.
I’m not saying, I agree with her being released, but if any of the Manson members had a case for being paroled it was her. She was even granted a retrial in 1977 and the jury couldn’t render a verdict. She was convicted in her third trial, and sentenced to seven years to life. She was granted parole several times, only to have the governor of California block it.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I’m not saying, I agree with her being released, but if any of the Manson members had a case for being paroled it was her. She was even granted a retrial in 1977 and the jury couldn’t render a verdict. She was convicted in her third trial, and sentenced to seven years to life. She was granted parole several times, only to have the governor of California block it.
Every follower Manson had was a violent drugged out freak before he got a hold of them ....... he just pointed the way and made things easy for them to do what they wanted to do in the first place.

She should have died 50 years ago.

Hopefully she does soon.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Every follower Manson had was a violent drugged out freak before he got a hold of them ....... he just pointed the way and made things easy for them to do what they wanted to do in the first place.

She should have died 50 years ago.

Hopefully she does soon.
None of them were murderers before he got a hold of them.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
She will have a hard time adjusting unless she has a good plan and a goal to do something positive

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Wow. Never thought I'd see a pity party for any of the Manson killers... but then the OP often has some oddball takes.

As for the excuse that she was under some spell... most 1940s German killers were just following orders, too.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
ITs called personal responsibility. Look it up.
And they all paid a price, but Manson orchestrated it, which is why he’s viewed worse than all of them.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Wow. Never thought I'd see a pity party for any of the Manson killers... but then the OP often has some oddball takes.

As for the excuse that she was under some spell... most 1940s German killers were just following orders, too.
I have no pity for her. You got the wrong read if you think that. Lol She spent 53 years in prison and deserved every year of it. If she spent the rest of her life in prison it wouldn’t have bothered me. If it was up to me I would’ve kept her in prison. I said I can see why she got a second chance and probably deserved one, but I wouldn’t have given her one. The bottom line is none of those murders would’ve happened if it wasn’t for Manson.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Neither was he until he got with them.

Works both ways.
It doesn’t work both ways when it comes to Charles Manson. So you think they put him up to those murders? Lol Manson came out of the womb a rotten apple. He spent most of his youth in reform schools. His twisted mind became more twisted by the minute. He found a bunch of displaced young hippies and over a period of weeks brainwashed them with LSD, constant Bible readings, rambling lectures about revolution. He was the mastermind of the whole thing. The 60s was a turbulent period in our history with all the assassinations. A lot of people were being brainwashed back then. It’s happened these days. We all saw what happened a few years ago at the capital. If someone has a hold of people and feeds them enough crap it can get them to do a lot of stupid things.

Last edited:

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
It doesn’t work both ways when it comes to Charles Manson. So you think they put him up to those murders? Lol Manson came out of the womb a rotten apple. He spent most of his youth in reform schools. His twisted mind became more twisted by the minute. He found a bunch of displaced young hippies and over a period of weeks brainwashed them with LSD, constant Bible readings, rambling lectures about revolution. He was the mastermind of the whole thing. The 60s was a turbulent period in our history with all the assassinations. A lot of people were being brainwashed back then. It’s happened these days. We all saw what happened a few years ago at the capital. If someone has a hold of people and feeds them enough crap it can get them to do a lot of stupid things.
I have heard interviews with Manson many times ....... he is just a little freak that babbles.

Your last two lines is all I need to hear as to why you want to let monsters out of prison.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score

Sad isn't it.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The truth is Manson did not turn people into killers ....... he attracted violent racist perverted scumbags ........ everyone in his little cult were already violent drugged out freaks before he ever got a hold of them ....... he just lead the idiotic sycophants where they wanted to go in the first place.
Funny how some never blame the man.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I have heard interviews with Manson many times ....... he is just a little freak that babbles.

Your last two lines is all I need to hear as to why you want to let monsters out of prison.
I said if it was up to me I wouldn’t have let her out of prison. Go find another thread to start trouble.

If it was up to me I would’ve kept her in prison.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Where is there a pity party for any of the Manson killers? Talk about an oddball take. Lol

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Its funny how people in this day and age do not see that the whole "Manson was the mind bending puppetmaster" was so they could put his creepy little self in prison along with the people who actually committed the crimes, since there was very little real evidence against him.

I am glad they did ........ but the negative part is that the simple minded think that the actual brutal murderers were just slaves and not at fault