Former Manson family member Leslie Van Houten, released from prison

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Its funny how people in this day and age do not see that the whole "Manson was the mind bending puppetmaster" was so they could put his creepy little self in prison along with the people who actually committed the crimes, since there was very little real evidence against him.

I am glad they did ........ but the negative part is that the simple minded think that the actual brutal murderers were just slaves and not at fault
Are you actually defending Manson? There was plenty of evidence that he was the mastermind behind those murders. They would’ve never happened if it wasn’t because of him. I’ve never seen anyone say the ones who actually did the killings weren’t at fault. There’s a reason they were all given death sentences until the death penalty was overturned.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Are you actually defending Manson? There was plenty of evidence that he was the mastermind behind those murders. They would’ve never happened if it wasn’t because of him. I’ve never seen anyone say the ones who actually did the killings weren’t at fault. There’s a reason they were all given death sentences until the death penalty was overturned.
Nope ....... he is a demented little freak that needed to die in prison.

I am not defending the Manson family like you guys.

But the narrative that he would ,get in your head and control you, was used so they could convict him easier because most of the evidence was circumstantial.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Nope ....... he is a demented little freak that needed to die in prison.

I am not defending the Manson family like you guys.

But the narrative that he would ,get in your head and control you, was used so they could convict him easier because most of the evidence was circumstantial.
I’m not defending anyone who took part in those murders. That’s a ridiculous spin on your part, because you have a penchant for starting trouble. For the most part, the only solid evidence against anyone was the two fingerprints that were found at the Tate house. Those fingerprints ended up belonging to Patricia Krenwinkel and Tex Watson. It was proven beyond a reasonable doubt that Manson was the leader of the conspiracy to commit those murders.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think 53 years was more than enough–and probably too long in her case.

I'm not going to get into whole "Manson thing" here but we've seen time and time again what a "charismatic leader" can do when it comes to influencing those that are easily influenced to do some against the law.

From what I've read she's always been remorseful and accepted her part of the crime.

And she's been well-behaved while in prison.

I don't think she a threat to society, while at the same time paying a heavy price for what she did.

Then you have the cases like...

Kenneth McDuff, the "Broomstick Killer" who killed 3 kids in 1966, but was granted parole and released in 1989. He subsequently started killing again.

Arthur Shawcross, the "Genesee River Killer" who killed and raped a young boy and girl in 1972, was allowed to plea bargain down to manslaughter and was released in 1987–and started killing again.

Then you have a lesser known guy, George Fitzsimmons, the "Karate Chop Killer", who karate chopped his parents to death in 1969, was released from a mental hospital 3 years later and went on to kill his aunt and uncle in 1973.

If Leslie Van Houten moved next door to me, I wouldn't fear her in the least.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think 53 years was more than enough–and probably too long in her case.
She might have been out in less than 25 years had the murders not become such a big story nationally. The murderers would’ve never become infamous had Sharon Tate not been involved. Her murder along with Abigail Folger who was a coffee heiress made the murderers a huge story all over the country. The LaBianca’s were just ordinary people who owned a couple of grocery stores. Had their murders not been linked with the other murders it would’ve just made local news. It took a while before they realized the murders were connected.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
She might have been out in less than 25 years had the murders not become such a big story nationally. The murderers would’ve never become infamous had Sharon Tate not been involved. Her murder along with Abigail Folger who was a coffee heiress made the murderers a huge story all over the country. The LaBianca’s were just ordinary people who owned a couple of grocery stores. Had their murders not been linked with the other murders it would’ve just made local news. It took a while before they realized the murders were connected.
Oh I wholeheartedly agree.

Ed Kemper kills his grandparents (in California) and he's out in like 5 years.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
What’s everyone’s opinion on Leslie Van Houten being released? She spent 53 years in prison. She did take part in the murders, but was brainwashed by Manson. Part of me says she should spend the rest of her life in prison, but there’s another part that says she did pay a heavy price and deserves a second chance, because of the influence Manson had over her.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-07-11/manson-family-member-leslie-van-houten-released-from-beprison
First of all, if someone has proven they cannot live in society without following society's rules, then that person should be removed from society.

Permanently in the case of murder, rape, etc.

But she's out, moot question...

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Oh I wholeheartedly agree.

Ed Kemper kills his grandparents (in California) and he's out in like 5 years.
There’s been a lot of people commit murders that have gotten out of prison in only a few years. I heard about a guy who killed someone and dismembered their body and only did 17 years. Six months after he got out he committed another murder. Don’t know how anyone who dismembered someone’s body could be let out of prison.

Last edited:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There’s been a lot of people commit murders that have gotten out of prison in only a few years. I heard about a guy who killed someone and dismembered their body and only did 17 years. Six months after he got out he committed another murder.
Exactly. And a great many of these folks that were let out early seem to have the reputation for being hell-raisers in prison also.

She doesn't seem to have had that reputation.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It works by putting idiots in charge of the execution. A bullet, ropes, and beheading tools are not expensive
It's the endless appeals that cost. Court time, attorney's fees, etc. The actual cost to physically execute someone isn't that that high, no matter what the method....

Flamma

Reaction score
What’s everyone’s opinion on Leslie Van Houten being released? She spent 53 years in prison. She did take part in the murders, but was brainwashed by Manson. Part of me says she should spend the rest of her life in prison, but there’s another part that says she did pay a heavy price and deserves a second chance, because of the influence Manson had over her.

https://www.latimes.com/california/...member-leslie-van-houten-released-from-prison
In 99% of cases like this I am for the death penalty or life in prison no matter how long it takes. I don't even care if they are rehabilitated. But I'll make an exception in this case due to Manson's influence. Time served of 53 years is enough.

I won't even argue with someone that disagrees with me. Because that's usually my take as well, and they're probably right. This was just my opinion on this current situation.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
In the early 80s, I took a tour of Los Angeles and they took us up to the house in Benedict Canyon where the murders took place. You could hardly see the house, it was surrounded by a wall and a large gate. It’s a beautiful area of Los Angeles, very scenic. Many people didn’t want to live in the house after the murders because it was a real life house of horrors. Some heavy-metal singer rented out the house and ended up moving out after only a month because even he got creeped out by the house. The house was torn down in 1993 and a huge mansion was built on the site. The original telephone pole that Tex Watson climbed to access the property is still there.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The first video is the location in Benedict Canyon where the killers parked. They walked up that path to the house, which is about 150 yards. The second video is where the house was located. It was torn down in 1993 and this mansion was built on the site.

timb2

Reaction score
All of the cult members should have had the death penalty.

Flamma

Reaction score
In the early 80s, I took a tour of Los Angeles and they took us up to the house in Benedict Canyon where the murders took place. You could hardly see the house, it was surrounded by a wall and a large gate. It’s a beautiful area of Los Angeles, very scenic. Many people didn’t want to live in the house after the murders because it was a real life house of horrors. Some heavy-metal singer rented out the house and ended up moving out after only a month because even he got creeped out by the house. The house was torn down in 1993 and a huge mansion was built on the site. The original telephone pole that Tex Watson climbed to access the property is still there.
It's weird how stuff works. Manson lived with some music producer or something. I wonder how things would have turned out if he agreed to what Manson asked regarding his music.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It's weird how stuff works. Manson lived with some music producer or something. I wonder how things would have turned out if he agreed to what Manson asked regarding his music.
He was actually living with Dennis Wilson, one of the Beach Boys for a short time who introduced him to the music producer. The murders would’ve never happened had Terry Melcher signed him to a contract. Manson felt he lied to him and that’s what got the screws grinding in his head.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
He was actually living with Dennis Wilson, one of the Beach Boys for a short time who introduced him to the music producer. The murders would’ve never happened had Terry Melcher signed him to a contract. Manson felt he lied to him and that’s what got the screws grinding in his head.
I doubt it, and that seems like a big assumption. Lots of people don't get contracts or jobs they want, and they don't go down that path.

Flamma

Reaction score
Ok, I knew it was something like that.

Flamma

Reaction score
I doubt it, and that seems like a big assumption. Lots of people don't get contracts or jobs they want, and they don't go down that path.
Everyone is different. Nothing is written in stone. One thing leads to another. Certain events often trigger people to do something they may not have done had things turned out more positively.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You must not have watched the documentaries on Manson. He was angry that the Beach Boys performed a song that he wrote on the Mike Douglas show, in which they changed some the words and didn’t give him any credit for it. He was angry at Terry Melcher, because he thought he was going to get a contract and Melcher backed out. Watch the interviews with Manson, he talks about it. Melcher was living in the house that Sharon Tate and her friends ended up dying in. Manson actually went up to the house while Melcher was living there and he wouldn’t even let Manson in the house. He brushed him off. Manson knew that Melcher had moved out of the house and had no idea who was living in it, but he knew they were rich and wanted them all dead. Manson feeling like he had been done wrong is what led to those murders..