News: Fox: Cam Newton says the Cowboys 'are not America's Team anymore'

plasticman

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys are My Team.

I'm not very concerned about their popularity elsewhere. In fact, if they were less popular then I could probably afford to go see more games.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Most of those who discredit the Cowboys for still being "America's Team" are the fans of other teams who begrudge that title. They're jealous for not being awarded with that title themselves. Tom Landry tried in vain to discourage Tex Schramm from giving the team that title but it was to no avail. He felt, correctly, that it would cause resentment for not being given that title for their own teams. He was right about that, imho. Popularity has a strange effect upon teams that choose to deny this team's popularity. Of course, nowadays, it's often ridiculed to some extent. Maybe Tom was right.

Last edited:

Motorola

Reaction score
He was. And he was an unstoppable force. I get complaining about his accuracy especially later in his career but prime Cam was that guy.
When Newton didn't junp on that fumble in SB L...it appeared the League decided then they were going to squash that "Superman" personal = brashness he put forth during their 2015 run.
In that 2016 season kickoff game (Super Bowl rematch) - and throughout the following 15 games - the officials swallowed their whistles and let the Panthers' opponents tee off on their quarterback -
not calling obvious personal fouls done to him by the defenses he faced.

superonyx

Reaction score
I think it’s just that some of the fanbase demands excellence because we used to be the gold standard of nfl franchises and now we are Stephan A’s punchlines and deservedly so. I have been a fan a longtime and my first game Insaw on TV was Super Bowl V. Unlike other fans who Jerry has conditioned to lower their bar of expectations, I hold my team to the same standard as the Landry days (20 consecutive winning seasons, two championships) and the Jimmy era where Jimmy built a 3 time champ and Jerry just signed checks.

I‘m glad you happy with the results the past 29 seasons. But don’t crow about being the most profitable when Cowboy fans measure success by deep playoff runs. And profit has nothing to do with being Americas team, since America only loves winners, real winners.

And you might do a search about opinion forums since posters often post their sports opinions here. You’re the one who said being the most profitable makes us America’s team lol. And yes, you might run into a few fans on this forum that are a little disgruntled with the on the field results while the fuhrer uses the same tired methods of micromanagement. To quote the great Michael Scott of The Office, “I thrive in an environment of no accountability“ and that perfectly sums up how the fuhrer feels.
Actually I said ratings and valuable sports franchise in the entire world and I stand by that even if you don't like it.

And here comes the "i hold the franchise to a higher standard" guys and that nonsense. What are you doing to hold them to this standard? Are you no longer watching? Of course you are watching. It's July and here you are living in a cowboys fan forum crying about how miserable you are.

Fans like you like to create this divide between us happy fans and you miserable fans by presenting both of us incorrectly. Us happy fans are not happy with the overall results but some of us are optimist and have a different perspective. You see in the last few years I've lost my father and brother. I have a child with real mental health struggles and no matter what life throws at us on Sunday we will be wearing our Cowboys jerseys and being completely bias as we say the refs are trying to screw us. I realize this is just a form of entertainment and I know how little time we may have left. I want a SB every year. We all do. But I won't allow the things I can't control suck the entertainment out of this hobby and interest. I enjoy each season for what it is. Another ride I got to take. Another ups and downs. More excitement and more hurt.

Explain to me how being so negative that I am not longer able to enjoy this form of entertainment as much as I am now will make my life better.

Motorola

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys are My Team.

I'm not very concerned about their popularity elsewhere. In fact, if they were less popular then I could probably afford to go see more games.
Cowboys, Yankees, Celtics, Lakers, -- throw in the Dodgers also.
Been the most popular American profession sports teams since they came into existence the previous century ...and continue to be so in this current one.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
When Newton didn't junp on that fumble in SB L...it appeared the League decided then they were going to squash that "Superman" personal = brashness he put forth during their 2015 run.
In that 2016 season kickoff game (Super Bowl rematch) - and throughout the following 15 games - the officials swallowed their whistles and let the Panthers' opponents tee off on their quarterback -
not calling obvious personal fouls done to him by the defenses he faced.
Ahh I forgot about that. You're right I could've lived with him not jumping on the football but his arrogance in the post gamer didn't set well with me but like I said I forgot all about it right afterwards lol. But I think you're right they didn't.

Bagman

Reaction score
Why is America's Team the only moniker that is taken literally? Were the Vikings really Purple People Eaters? Were the Bears really Monsters of the Midway? Was there ever a Steel Curtain in Pittsburgh? Is Green Bay Title Town when several NFL teams have more titles? The answer to every one of those questions is NO. So why is everybody so butthurt over America's Team? It's the only title that is taken literally and the only title everybody wants to claim. It is the Dallas Cowboys' nickname. Y'all can't have it.
Great post. Nailed it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I wish we weren't America's team Cam....I think most Cowboy fans wish we weren't. But unfortunately, thanks to the hardwork of past champions and hall of famers.....we still are.

Motorola

Reaction score
Ahh I forgot about that. You're right I could've lived with him not jumping on the football but his arrogance in the post gamer didn't set well with me but like I said I forgot all about it right afterwards lol. But I think you're right they didn't.
WOW ...TMC - I forgot about his post game interview!
That probably sealed the deal on the league was going to take him down a peg...plus Newton not improving being a successful passing QB the following season.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
WOW ...TMC - I forgot about his post game interview!
That probably sealed the deal on the league was going to take him down a peg...plus Newton not improving being a successful passing QB the following season.
He didn't....and you know I have to ask with the team these guys built around these guys what were they suppose to do? Him and Vince Young....it was like they said the more they could do the less talent to put around them. Mike Vick as well.

Off topic but these days the mobile QB's like Jalen Hurts...Howie at least gets how to build around him.

It seems like it took 5 years for the Giants to realize how to build around Daniel Jones.

And I don't know what the hell Bills are doing lol.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Don't know about that. Admittedly, I'm too young to remember but at the time the America's Team label came out, the Steelers were way more successful than we were. The Vikings too for that matter. Don't know if the promo was before the '76 season (after we just lost to the Steelers) or after it when the Raiders beat the Vikings (their 3rd loss in 4 Bowls) but I wonder if the popularity was in part due to an anti-bad guy team (Steelers/Raiders) sentiment where we were pumped up as "the good guys" to root for. And then like everything else people just got tired of it with 1 Bowl to show for it until the 90s. Would love to hear from an older poster who remembers that time well.
We were the good guys we were led by men who served their country in the military in Tom Landry and Roger Staubach who represented everything good about our country and sports that's why we were America's team we were led by Captain America and a coach who flew bomber missions brave true Americans.
Now we are led by the greatest group of contract negotiators on the planet and their mentor the ultimate self promoter with the morals of an alley cat Jerry Jones.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Only the remaining members of our '70s Cowboys led by Captain America himself are qualified to weigh in on whether we are still America's team or not.
Certainly that idiot Cam Newton does not deserve the distinction of categorizing Us in any way shape or form

cowboyed

Reaction score
Cam should keep on focusing more on his extraterrestrial cross-dressing tendencies. Seriously who cares about the Dallas Cowboys America's Team moniker that was branded on the team decades ago. What buffoonery.