Twitter: Fox signs Tom Brady to double Romo or Aikman's contract

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Out of all the "former players who become announcers", I am hoping Brady calls out players, coaches and plays when he sees them rather than going soft like all of the rest do including Aikman and Romo.

He does not seem like someone who cares what other people think and it would be nice to have someone saying the things that fans say rather than worrying more about players, coaches, etc. getting mad at them for justified criticism.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Out of all the "former players who become announcers", I am hoping Brady calls out players, coaches and plays when he sees them rather than going soft like all of the rest do including Aikman and Romo.

He does not seem like someone who cares what other people think and it would be nice to have someone saying the things that fans say rather than people who want the players and coaches to keep liking them.
I wouldn't count on it, these TV analysts are dependent on access to coaches and players to do their jobs. None of them ever call out the coaches or players for bonehead plays, the league does not like that. Even when they call out an apparent drop, they do not dwell on it.

They get contacted by the league office if they get too negative about the officiating or games stoppages. The NFL has convinced the TV nets that they're all in this together and it is all about accentuate the positive.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
This is nuts. Nobody watches football for the announcers. Fox is giving elite QB1 money every year for someone talking about the game.
I loved John Madden. Greatest announcer ever. But I ever once watched a game because he was calling it. Fans watch the games based on the teams playing.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I wouldn't count on it, these TV analysts are dependent on access to coaches and players to do their jobs. None of them ever call out the coaches or players for bonehead plays, the league does not like that. Even when they call out an apparent drop, they do not dwell on it.

They get contacted by the league office if they get too negative about the officiating or games stoppages. The NFL has convinced the TV nets that they're all in this together and it is all about accentuate the positive.
Right

If we were all on the payroll we’d be much more positive too:)

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

He may turn out to be just like the rest, but I am hoping he doesn't :D

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is nuts. Nobody watches football for the announcers. Fox is giving elite QB1 money every year for someone talking about the game.
I loved John Madden. Greatest announcer ever. But I ever once watched a game because he was calling it. Fans watch the games based on the teams playing.
Yea but like anything else it attracts fringe fans not diehards like us that watch regardless.

fivetwos

Reaction score
When are they gonna realize we will watch anyway even if you're paying a Rich Gannon type next to nothing?

I really dont get it, but whatever. We all pay for it somehow.

MarcusRock

Reaction score

He does not seem like someone who cares what other people think and it would be nice to have someone saying the things that fans say rather than worrying more about players, coaches, etc. getting mad at them for justified criticism.

You didn't hear Aikman calling out Randy Gregory for his dumb bear hug penalty in the playoff game? Also, it was Aikman who seemed ready to fight Mike Pereira when Pereira was backing those tripping calls on the Cowboys OL in New England a few years back. I've seen Romo call out players too, albeit softly.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yea but like anything else it attracts fringe fans not diehards like us that watch regardless.
Does it though? Maybe initially.

How many housewives are gonna skip the mall on Sunday because a certain guy is BROADCASTING a football game?

The numbers must be there somehow for them to do it, but I can't reconcile it logically.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You didn't hear Aikman calling out Randy Gregory for his dumb bear hug penalty in the playoff game? Also, it was Aikman who seemed ready to fight Mike Pereira when Pereira was backing those tripping calls on the Cowboys OL in New England a few years back. I've seen Romo call out players too, albeit softly.
Yep . Aikman has been critical. It’s why some Cowboy fans have bashed him.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Does it though? Maybe initially.

How many housewives are gonna skip the mall on Sunday because a certain guy is BROADCASTING a football game?

The numbers must be there somehow for them to do it, but I can't reconcile it logically.
Of course there is. Just like with Madden . You knew if he was calling the game it must be a big game .

These personalities not only attract fringe fans but they can also keep them hanging on when they might otherwise tune out.

Our original MNF dynamic trio with Gifford , Don and Howard are a perfect example. Before that , I’m not sure it mattered as much.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Crazy!! They don't even know if he's going to be any good at broadcasting!! He could turn out to be another Jason Witten. :p

They probably don’t care if he’s any good they just want a big name in the booth. Listening to his interviews he doesn’t sound like he would be a very good broadcaster.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it is the fans of the players that it draws, I don't think fringe fans care.

It is about marquis value and Fox lost Aikman and they needed to save face so they jumped on Brady. Just what the game needs, another QB in the booth to heap praise on the darlings of the gridiron.

The reason Madden and Stram were so great is that they watched the game like a coach, not like a player and even Brian Billick was pretty good,

I'd rather listen to a goat sing "Bad to the Bone" than listen to Romo mumble.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They probably don’t care if he’s any good they just want a big name in the booth. Listening to his interviews he doesn’t sound like he would be a very good broadcaster.
Right . It’s all about the personality and appeal. I thought Romo scratchy voice was horrible and trying to predict every play instead of commenting afterwards was annoying but turned out a huge success.

Their broadcasting abilities aren’t important. Remember they are “ color” commentators . It’s all about their popularity and image . And why Fox is willing to dish it out.