Twitter: Fox signs Tom Brady to double Romo or Aikman's contract

RS12

Reaction score
This is nuts. Nobody watches football for the announcers. Fox is giving elite QB1 money every year for someone talking about the game.
I loved John Madden. Greatest announcer ever. But I ever once watched a game because he was calling it. Fans watch the games based on the teams playing.
It's true nobody watches games for the announcers, but I will definitely hit the mute button if I don't like the announcers.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Of course there is. Just like with Madden . You knew if he was calling the game it must be a big game .

These personalities not only attract fringe fans but they can also keep them hanging on when they might otherwise tune out.

Our original MNF dynamic trio with Gifford , Don and Howard are a perfect example. Before that , I’m not sure it mattered as much.
I hear your point.

Just trying to measure that up against how many football fans are watching it anyway.

Let's say there was no one at all (like Jets/Dolphins 1981)....the real fans still watch.

I fully understand how they are trying to cater to the casual fan because they have us anyway, but a ten year deal for that kind of cash? Wow.

Initially people loved the Romo shtick, but it's worn off a bit no?

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Brady has a lot of work to do to catch up with Romo in SB calls.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s amazing how much Brady is hated . I just don’t recall this eras hate level years ago for some of the leagues greatest players.

We rooted like hell against Montana but any true football fan marveled in watching him perform.

If you’re a purest and fan of the game , you should want to watch the best perform .

MarcusRock

Reaction score
They probably don’t care if he’s any good they just want a big name in the booth. Listening to his interviews he doesn’t sound like he would be a very good broadcaster.

Really? I think the opposite. Interviews versus being excited about game action are 2 different things. The guy works his butt off at his craft and I have no doubt he'll make the same commitment in the booth.

Last edited:

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I'll be surprised if this works.
Nothing about Brady indicates announcer material to me.
He is usually stumbling and bumbling when he's ad-libbing in front of a camera

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I hear your point.

Just trying to measure that up against how many football fans are watching it anyway.

Let's say there was no one at all (like Jets/Dolphins 1981)....the real fans still watch.

I fully understand how they are trying to cater to the casual fan because they have us anyway, but a ten year deal for that kind of cash? Wow.

That deal is all about preventing him from signing elsewhere and attracting fans to another network.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I hear your point.

I guess I’m one of the few who didn’t initially like Romo’s schtick but it has grown on me . I wasn’t initially a fan of Madden either .

RS12

Reaction score
It’s amazing how much Brady is hated . I just don’t recall this eras hate level years ago for some of the leagues greatest players.

We rooted like hell against Montana but any true football fan marveled in watching him perform.

If you’re a purest and fan of the game , you should want to watch the best perform .
I dont hate Brady at all. Wouldn't call myself a fan but his ability to consistently elevate the play of those around him and hatred of losing has no peer, I envy that, and I have been watching football since the 60s.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It is a smart but upended move on Fox Sports' part after Troy Aikman jumped ship, at least on paper. Only Belichick's name might draw more "analyst credibility" than Brady's by comparison with every other available choice. It will be funny to me if Brady eventually turns down the deal though.
It'll be even funnier if he sucks, but they have to eat his contract.

EST_1986

Reaction score
Oh boy, I can hear Brady now.

"3rd and 11, Mahomes drops back and hits Keece for a 10 yard pass, it's 4th and 1 and KC is punting. I would of made sure Keece got 11 yards instead of 10, bad play by Mahomes"

Be ready to hear I I I alot
Fox is traditionally NFC, so probably won't happen all that much

GINeric

Reaction score
Out of all the "former players who become announcers", I am hoping Brady calls out players, coaches and plays when he sees them rather than going soft like all of the rest do including Aikman and Romo.

He does not seem like someone who cares what other people think and it would be nice to have someone saying the things that fans say rather than worrying more about players, coaches, etc. getting mad at them for justified criticism.

I wonder if he'll send texts to the Fox mechanics to secretly deflate Fox's aerial blimp to his liking before every game.....