Frank Pollack Out as Cowboys O-line Coach

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
he made pro bowlers out of tyron smith, freddy and zack. he got doug free back on track. he got Jeremy parnell working well. he got la'el collins going early on as a lg and had la'el playing pretty well at rt at seasons end. even had Jonathon cooper doing well this year. I guess chaz green and bell sealed his fate. hope the last two will be gone next year.
:welcome:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pollack could be the fall guy for an offensive line that was just too banged up last year. Both Tyron Smith and La'el Collins played through back injuries. Now we learn Zack Martin had an elbow issue. The team did not settle on Jonathan Cooper at left guard until October. Chaz Green and Byron Bell were disasters at left tackle when Smith couldn't play.

No matter who the o-line coach is next year, I expect a better performance as long as there's better luck in the health department.

It's always hard to know whether guys are fired as "fall guys" or if the team really thinks they weren't doing a good job. At the end of the day I don't know how much it matters. Coaching is a results oriented occupation, and even if doing a good job if for whatever reason the results aren't there the job is at risk.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Exactly my point. There didn't seem to be any problem with Green, he was playing solid football, so it doesn't really make sense to think Pollack and Colombo were doing anything wrong with him. For whatever reason players sometimes just have a disaster game, and all a team can do is find ways to cover for it, which Linehan failed to do, or bench him, which they finally did.

And remember, these are also the same coaches that worked with Leary last year, and who helped Collins transition from OG to OT this year, and who incorporated Cooper into the mix. Seemed both Collins and Cooper kept improving over the season.
I am not sure I get your point though. First you said the failure was on not getting Green in a position to succeed, pinning it on Garrett/Linehan. All things were the same with Green, his OL coach and the OC/HC. I guess you are trying to excuse Pollack, which I don't necessarily disagree with. But the OL coach does have a higher grade of responsibility than any other position coach and should be held accountable. It just seems there is a desire to clean house on the entire offensive staff and get more loyalists. Perhaps Pollack was rocking the boat. He is a zone proponent, perhaps Linehan wants more man blocking.

I doubt there will be an explanation though, especially from Garrett.

Alexander

Reaction score
God forbid there be proven expertise in the room other than.

Callahan had no ties to Garrett and there did seem to be some friction there. Sometimes that is healthy.

A little disagreement is fine if it provides an eventual compromise instead of deteriorating into a power struggle.

There is a reason why head coaches usually get "their guys" and regardless of how poorly some do, they hang around.

Nepotism takes care of a lot of that.

It is not often you see a coach get an all-star best of the best staff. They usually get their sycophants and hangers on.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not sure I get your point though. First you said the failure was on not getting Green in a position to succeed, pinning it on Garrett/Linehan. All things were the same with Green, his OL coach and the OC/HC. I guess you are trying to excuse Pollack, which I don't necessarily disagree with. But the OL coach does have a higher grade of responsibility than any other position coach and should be held accountable. It just seems there is a desire to clean house on the entire offensive staff and get more loyalists. Perhaps Pollack was rocking the boat. He is a zone proponent, perhaps Linehan wants more man blocking.

No, I didn't say that. I said once things went wrong in that game Linehan should have adjusted. I didn't say Linehan caused the failure, I said he didn't react to it.

The point you are missing, which I don't think is that hard to grasp, is that if the same coaches were there when he was succeeding, and succeeding on more than one occasion, how does it make sense to say a failure in one game proves Colombo is a bad coach? To expand on that, there are 5 O-Line positions, and all the starters have had success, and even backups have stepped in and played well the last few years, so how does it make sense to say Colombo is terrible because he was the assistant O-Line coach when one back up player at one position had one really bad game?

As for you saying I'm trying to excuse Pollack (of what? one game by one back up player?), if you will remember this line of discussion started with me saying I don't mind if they make a switch to Colombo.

Alexander

Reaction score
No, I didn't say that. I said once things went wrong in that game Linehan should have adjusted. I didn't say Linehan caused the failure, I said he didn't react to it.

The point you are missing, which I don't think is that hard to grasp, is that if the same coaches were there when he was succeeding, and succeeding on more than one occasion, how does it make sense to say a failure in one game is a sign the Colombo is a bad coach? To expand on that, there are 5 O-Line positions, and all the starters have had success, and even backups have stepped in and played well the last few years, so how does it make sense to say Colombo is terrible because he was the assistant O-Line coach when one back up player at one position had one really bad game?

As for you saying I'm trying to excuse Pollack (of what? one game by one back up player?), if you will remember this line of discussion started with me saying I don't mind if they make a switch to Colombo.
Colombo is massively inexperienced and unless he is some sort of savant, I don't think he is prepared to handle the responsibility yet.

Even Pollack spent two years as an apprentice learning from Callahan before taking over. Prior to that he learned from the best in Alex Gibbs, spending five years as an assistant OL coach in Houston. He was given the Raiders OL job and was fired after a year. Before he came to the NFL, he was responsible for an OL at the college level.

Colombo is not even close to being as experienced as the coach they are getting rid of.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Awesome OL coach. But he was awful as the offensive coordinator. Remember the dink-and-dunk scheme in 2013? Dallas hired Linehan in 2014 and kept Callahan as the OL coach, and the offense was almost unstoppable.

Yeah, no doubt he can coach OLs. He got run out of the Raiders, and there were rumbles he was not well liked at all with the Jets, either. And then Dallas...say what you want about the Garrett staff, but they do a good job of not publicly fighting. If a coach doesn't fit, they usually go away quietly, but whatever went down with Callahan/Romo/Garrett was as close to a dust-up as we usually see around here. And then he went to the Skins, of all places.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Yeah, no doubt he can coach OLs. He got run out of the Raiders, and there were rumbles he was not well liked at all with the Jets, either. And then Dallas...say what you want about the Garrett staff, but they do a good job of not publicly fighting. If a coach doesn't fit, they usually go away quietly, but whatever went down with Callahan/Romo/Garrett was as close to a dust-up as we usually see around here. And then he went to the Skins, of all places.
Players love being coached by Callahan. He is a true technician and has positive results with their performance.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/blue-s...-Bill-Callahan-was-a-Huge-Loss-362831181.html

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm less understanding. A position coach should know if a player will be a train wreck if he has to start a game.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Callahan had to go too. He was not a "Garrett guy".

Callahan didn't want to be here. We forced him to stay the last year that he was here. Not sure it was because he wasn't a Garrett guy, but he didnt like being overlooked as OC.

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
Callahan was a tremendous loss.
That is my opinion too, another opinion of mine is that we were better in the O-line in 2014 than 2016, but 2016 received more accolades..again, jmo, and it really doesn't matter when you look at the end result: lack of play off wins......

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Players love being coached by Callahan. He is a true technician and has positive results with their performance.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/blue-s...-Bill-Callahan-was-a-Huge-Loss-362831181.html

Yeah, I'm sure the OLs did. Remember all the stuff in OAK where Rice and Brown thought he sabotaged the Superbowl? There was a ton of rumbling against him as a HC. It followed him to NY, too, where again, he's a great position coach but was generally not all that well liked when he left to come here.