Frankenstorm

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Turns out I actually know someone who lived in the building that had the facade ripped off.

JBond

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4815203 said:
The storm has almost completely died here where I'm at. (yay!) Odd, considering they say the storm is still intensifying. :confused:

10:05 PMtwc_hurricaneAt 11pm, the National Hurricane Center issued its final advisory on Post-Tropical Cyclone #Sandy.

Read more: http://live.nydailynews.com/Event/Tracking_Hurricane_Sandy_2#ixzz2AkU8BaJw

NYU nurses in pediatric ICU manually bagging patients on ventilators, according to a staffer. City begins emergency evacuation.

Read more: http://live.nydailynews.com/Event/Tracking_Hurricane_Sandy_2#ixzz2AkTz2OSe

JBond

Reaction score
a_minimalist;4815211 said:
Turns out I actually know someone who lived in the building that had the facade ripped off.

But Sam's galaxy 7 says it never happened. :confused:

a_minimalist

Reaction score
JBond;4815212 said:
10:05 PMtwc_hurricaneAt 11pm, the National Hurricane Center issued its final advisory on Post-Tropical Cyclone #Sandy.

Read more: http://live.nydailynews.com/Event/Tracking_Hurricane_Sandy_2#ixzz2AkU8BaJw

NYU nurses in pediatric ICU manually bagging patients on ventilators, according to a staffer. City begins emergency evacuation.

Read more: http://live.nydailynews.com/Event/Tracking_Hurricane_Sandy_2#ixzz2AkTz2OSe

NYU losing power is not good, at all. It's actually unacceptable.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4815203 said:
The storm has almost completely died here where I'm at. (yay!) Odd, considering they say the storm is still intensifying. :confused:

You might be in between rain bands. It'll die down appreciably, to the point you'll venture outside, and then you'll get your *** kicked when the next band of storms rotates over you. Same thing happened for a lot of folks in Ike.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
a_minimalist;4815211 said:

Address. I want to see it. I commute to Manhattan Monday-Friday every week except when I take a full week vacation. So far, I have not seen a single NYC news station show or even talk about this building striped clean of it's side. (which would be a MAJOR story)

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;4815227 said:
You might be in between rain bands. It'll die down appreciably, to the point you'll venture outside, and then you'll get your *** kicked when the next band of storms rotates over you. Same thing happened for a lot of folks in Ike.

I agree, except that the storm landed between 6-7pm, but it's now 11:36pm and it's definitely dying out. Even the TV news are reporting a dying off of the storm.

That said, there is a HUGE amount of people without power. Gotta say, I'm blown away and EXTREMELY thankful that I still have power. (though I've had several short outages and many brown-outs)

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4815233 said:
Address. I want to see it. I commute to Manhattan Monday-Friday every week except when I take a full week vacation. So far, I have not seen a single NYC news station show or even talk about this building striped clean of it's side. (which would be a MAJOR story)

92nd and 8th or 92 8th avenue you stubborn stubborn man.

JBond

Reaction score
ConEd has confirmed "spectacular blowout" of substation on 14th street in Manhattan.

JBond

Reaction score
a_minimalist;4815277 said:
What does that mean?

It means no power for lower Manhattan for a long time and it means Sam was off again when he questioned the video I posted. Posting from my phone, so the link didn't copy. The daily news site I posted is a great source of information tonight.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
JBond;4815284 said:
It means no power for lower Manhattan for a long time and it means Sam was off again when he questioned the video I posted. Posting from my phone, so the link didn't copy. The daily news site I posted is a great source of information tonight.

Oh okay. I've been following it since you posted the link. Thanks for all of the updates. My concern for manhattan turned out to be a justified one. It got hit even harder than I expected! It's a shame.

JBond

Reaction score
Having lived in Ramsey and Saddle River, I still have a certain enthusiasm and love for NYC. Good times in places now flooded. I love the village. Many good memories.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
a_minimalist;4815224 said:

I don't think they lost power. They started flooding in the lower floors so they had to evac for safety.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
We got very lucky and the winds never got as bad as they predicted here. A few friends that are up at this hour are also saying they didn't lose power.

The sun is rising so I can see if there is any damage, but I'm guessing nothing more than some downed branches at most.

Very thankful.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
a_minimalist;4815224 said:

Why unacceptable?

This is what happens with these kind of storms.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4815233 said:

http://www.wpix.com/

In Chelsea, the facade of a building collapsed at 92 Eighth Ave., exposing apartments within. There were no reports of injuries in the incident just north of 14th Street.