Frankenstorm

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
Several friends in NY (Brooklyn, Westchester) have posted that they have no power. Another friend doesn't have a smart phone and is up in the Catskills. I haven't heard from her in a few hours, so I am assuming that she is also without power.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
I lost power about a half hour ago. The wind is nasty here. It literally shakes the entire house.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
a_minimalist;4814902 said:
I lost power about a half hour ago. The wind is nasty here. It literally shakes the entire house.

It's not supposed to be as bad for us, but I know there is potential. I can't hear the wind between being on the first floor of the house, the tv and the computers. Plus, it's pitch black out.

I can't decide if I want to see or if I should be happy in blissful ignorance.

JBond

Reaction score
The Weather Channel's Stu Ostro is reporting major flooding in the East Village. Several photos posted to Twitter show what appears to be several feet of water in the area of Avenue C and 14th St. See a user photo posted by Ostro here ...

Read more: http://live.nydailynews.com/Event/Tracking_Hurricane_Sandy_2#ixzz2AjryTMsw

Front of an appartment blew off.

a00f5f1e-7737-492c-981c-3c433456511a_500.jpg

West Village looking towards Union Square

7e9a16db-7502-47c9-b51d-89af3fa7d766_500.jpg

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Faerluna;4814911 said:
It's not supposed to be as bad for us, but I know there is potential. I can't hear the wind between being on the first floor of the house, the tv and the computers. Plus, it's pitch black out.

I can't decide if I want to see or if I should be happy in blissful ignorance.

Glad to hear you won't be getting it bad. It's just wind here and no flooding. The wind actually blew over our grill which I've never seen before

a_minimalist

Reaction score

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Lower Manhattan is in at least ankle deep water and blacked out. (parts of anyhow) My office building is out of power. (i know because my VPN is offline)

There are a TON of BS images showing 3-4 feet water in Manhattan. Most of the worst flooding in Manhattan will be in lower Manhattan and I only show ankle deep waters. Now, I saw what looked quite deep in Hoboken, NJ.

Funny thing is someone tried to pass of an image of a shark swimming by a house as seen in NJ, except for the fact that water could have NEVER been that deep while still FULL daylight which was obviously when the image was taken.

I'm completely amazed that I still have power Several brownouts and even some outages that some how came back on shortly after. Generally, a decent storm has a good chance of taking our power out. This storm has had gusts up to 70ish mph which I would think would have easily taken our power out by knocking down 300 year old trees.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
JBond;4814913 said:
The Weather Channel's Stu Ostro is reporting major flooding in the East Village. Several photos posted to Twitter show what appears to be several feet of water in the area of Avenue C and 14th St. See a user photo posted by Ostro here ...

Read more: http://live.nydailynews.com/Event/Tracking_Hurricane_Sandy_2#ixzz2AjryTMsw

Front of an appartment blew off.

a00f5f1e-7737-492c-981c-3c433456511a_500.jpg

West Village looking towards Union Square

7e9a16db-7502-47c9-b51d-89af3fa7d766_500.jpg

Be careful, that looks like a fake. I know lower Manhattan is blacked out, but not Union Square. Not to mention the side of that building being ripped off is almost positively fake. That is more Earthquake like than this storm. It is highly unlikely that this storm could produce something like that.

JBond

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4814934 said:
Be careful, that looks like a fake. I know lower Manhattan is blacked out, but not Union Square. Not to mention the side of that building being ripped off is almost positively fake. That is more Earthquake like than this storm. It is highly unlikely that this storm could produce something like that.

They were from the Daily News. I assumed they were legit.

http://live.nydailynews.com/Event/Tracking_Hurricane_Sandy_2#ixzz2AjryTMsw

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4814934 said:

There have been a lot of fakes but that building is most definitely real. I saw it on the news being filmed before we lost power for good. They said it was an old building. It looks like the stairs which make up the fire escape caught the wind. Don't quote me on that last part though

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
a_minimalist;4814972 said:
There have been a lot of fakes but that building is most definitely real. I saw it on the news be filmed before the we lost power for good.

The side of the building ripped off in Manhattan? I will have to see it to believe it. The surge and some high winds was the best that hit Manhattan. The worst of it was in southern NJ.

The only way I could see that being true is if it was a building that should have been condemned long ago.

From what I've heard, there are now 5 dead. Most by being hit by falling trees.

JBond

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4814969 said:
hehe two issues with this statement. First, the first mistake people always make is to "assume", second, you believed the Daily News. :laugh2:
Yep...I know. I just thought they were interesting. The pic of building missing the front is legit. It has been on other news stations as well.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4814986 said:
The side of the building ripped off in Manhattan? I will have to see it to believe it. The surge and some high winds was the best that hit Manhattan. The worst of it was in southern NJ.

The only way I could see that being true is if it was a building that should have been condemned long ago.

From what I've heard, there are now 5 dead. Most by being hit by falling trees.

I promise you it's real lol. I do understand the skepticism though.

I think the building was condemned.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
a_minimalist;4814993 said:
I promise you it's real lol. I do understand te skepticism though.

The building was condemned.

Okay, man give me a fully logical statement explaining how it's even reasonably possible for the complete side of a building being ripped off (multiple stories of that building without collapsing ) given what has come here. Which is NOT a hurricane and hasn't been since hitting the shore.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
News 7 (ABC-NYC) has never shown that image of the building missing the entire side of itself or even spoke of it.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The worst flooding is in Hoboken that I've seen. Water to the top of cars.