Free Agency Rumors Thread

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
According to Rotoworld.com, a site with NFLPA access, a Cowboys deal with Henry Melton "could happen quickly".

Aven8

Reaction score
Well great. Now we will have a former running back playing DT, and a former WR playing safety.

Now we just need a QB for DE.

I say screw this, trade up if you have to but go get Donald. He is way better now than Melton will ever be.

CowboysLaw87

Reaction score
Ha... Well, I'd rather have a free agent DE and draft Donald, but I don't really see a DE that is as ideal a fit for us as Melton is at 3T.

I think Melton is a very good pickup for us though, and I would be happy to have him on the team. He really will help.

I still want Donald to be drafted by us, and who knows, they might. Marinelli is going to send rushers in waves after the QB and I'm sure he could find a way to use Melton and Donald up and down the line.

I certainly wouldn't expect it though.

I am not married to any one prospect. I'm a Cowboy fan first. I just think Donald is ideal to help us.

Beautifully put. Kind of a one in the hand is worth 2 in the bush type thing. I'd rather have Donald than Melton, but I'd rather have Melton tonight then hope to land Donald against some odds in 2 months.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I am a fan of Melton, however, it's a bit of a downer to consider he'll actually be a downgrade from Hatcher's play last season.
Aaron Donald would be a downgrade to Hatcher's play last season. I guess he wouldn't be worth drafting either.

Wood

Reaction score
Thats 4.4 sacks per season. He must be a heck of a run stopper....

I think the point some are trying to make here is Melton would be a nice addition, however, it would be foolish to expect him to play at the level Hatcher played last year. I understand he is younger and that is a good thing, but this is going to be a step down in terms of production.

Hatcher gave that production for one year. Its not like he what this perennial pro bowler who was spitting out double digit sacks each year. He played well in his contract year. Lets not over-blow what he did.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Isn't the real question here what's the contract going to look like? Hatcher has said he's going to the highest bidder. If the contract for Melton is favorable, it seems to me it makes the most sense to sign him. Yes, Hatcher had a great year last year but how do we know THAT production wasn't a fluke? I don't think anyone expects Melton to come in and be the greatest DT to play the game, but for the age, familiarity with the system and probable contract numbers, you take him.

Good post.

Personally, I think it was the position that allowed Hatcher to have that production. Meaning that any decent player at that position in a Marinelli defense is going to have serious production. The scheme is set up that way.

Hatcher had years to beat OL that way and he didn't. Why? Because he really didn't want to before? Because he took steroids last offseason?

No, it was because the 3T for Marinelli is put in perfect position to make plays.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Beautifully put. Kind of a one in the hand is worth 2 in the bush type thing. I'd rather have Donald than Melton, but I'd rather have Melton tonight then hope to land Donald against some odds in 2 months.

Yeah, I agree.

If there was the perfect Marinelli DE that was 27, from Texas, and wanted to play for his old coach and wouldn't cost a fortune, I'd rather have him than Melton and make Donald happen in the draft.

However, that DE isn't out there that I can tell, so get the perfect fit (Melton) while you can and see what happens in the draft. If Donald is there and we love him that much then take him and have the best pass rushing DT combo in all of football.

I'd be fine with it. :)

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Melton is a good 3-tech for Marinelli's scheme, is 27 and the acl shouldn't be an issue.

I would take him over Hatcher at 31 any time.
I agree with you. I also know you're a big time Donald supporter, probably the biggest. So how do you feel about this situation? I'd rather get Donald, and I know that signing Melton will probably put an end to us getting Donald, but I also know there's at least a 50/50 chance that Donald won't be available when we draft. I also know that if we don't sign a vet 3-tech and risk trying to get Donald, if Donald is off the board we are pretty much screwed. It's definitely a sticky situation. I'm interested in your thoughts since you're a big Donald supporter and also like Melton.

And as far as the whole Melton vs Hatcher argument... You people are crazy. A lot of experts were saying Atkins and Melton were the top 2 DTs in the league. People are saying "he only has 15 sacks in 5 years." You do realize that up until very recently, it was unheard of for DTs to have huge sack numbers? I don't want to go into the history and pull up all the stats, but if pretty sure that 15.5 sacks in 3.5 years is a great number for a 3-tech DT. Also, I highly highly doubt Hatcher will be anywhere near as good as he was this year. He'll also probably demand top dollar in free agency. I'm all for keeping Hatcher if we could get him on a one-year $4 million contract and still draft Donald in the 1st, but there's no way that's gonna happen. Give me Melton for 4 years over Hatcher for 4 years if the money is the same.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
fisher just said marinelli wants hatcher over melton.

so I imagine we give a bunch of money to hatcher.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Thats 4.4 sacks per season. He must be a heck of a run stopper....

I think the point some are trying to make here is Melton would be a nice addition, however, it would be foolish to expect him to play at the level Hatcher played last year. I understand he is younger and that is a good thing, but this is going to be a step down in terms of production.

I agree but I think its foolish to assume hatch will play at the level he played at last year also.

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
Well great. Now we will have a former running back playing DT, and a former WR playing safety.

Now we just need a QB for DE.

I say screw this, trade up if you have to but go get Donald. He is way better now than Melton will ever be.

An draft prospect is already better than a guy who made the pro bowl in 2012 huh? My God, I wonder if people actually think about what they are writing before they press submit.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

I would basically tell Marinelli "work with the younger player". Taking money from one 30 year old and giving it to another, even less consistent player, makes no intuitive sense.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score

Melton or Hatcher, both are three technique, so I assume it's a defensive end in the first round.

And in more rumors, ESPN Dallas says the Cowboys "may" bring Melton in for a visit....

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I agree with you. I also know you're a big time Donald supporter, probably the biggest. So how do you feel about this situation? I'd rather get Donald, and I know that signing Melton will probably put an end to us getting Donald, but I also know there's at least a 50/50 chance that Donald won't be available when we draft. I also know that if we don't sign a vet 3-tech and risk trying to get Donald, if Donald is off the board we are pretty much screwed. It's definitely a sticky situation. I'm interested in your thoughts since you're a big Donald supporter and also like Melton.

And as far as the whole Melton vs Hatcher argument... You people are crazy. A lot of experts were saying Atkins and Melton were the top 2 DTs in the league. People are saying "he only has 15 sacks in 5 years." You do realize that up until very recently, it was unheard of for DTs to have huge sack numbers? I don't want to go into the history and pull up all the stats, but if pretty sure that 15.5 sacks in 3.5 years is a great number for a 3-tech DT. Also, I highly highly doubt Hatcher will be anywhere near as good as he was this year. He'll also probably demand top dollar in free agency. I'm all for keeping Hatcher if we could get him on a one-year $4 million contract and still draft Donald in the 1st, but there's no way that's gonna happen. Give me Melton for 4 years over Hatcher for 4 years if the money is the same.

This is what I wrote earlier in this thread:

If there was the perfect Marinelli DE that was 27, from Texas, and wanted to play for his old coach and wouldn't cost a fortune, I'd rather have him than Melton and make Donald happen in the draft.

However, that DE isn't out there that I can tell, so get the perfect fit (Melton) while you can and see what happens in the draft. If Donald is there and we love him that much then take him and have the best pass rushing DT combo in all of football.

I'd be fine with it. :)

I still think there would be a chance we take Donald if he was there, but maybe not.

If they think Melton is still the pro bowler he was in 2012 then we probably draft a DE or OL... and I would be ok with that.

But man, Donald would be perfect for Marinelli!

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Melton or Hatcher, both are three technique, so I assume it's a defensive end in the first round.

And in more rumors, ESPN Dallas says the Cowboys "may" bring Melton in for a visit....

Well, I think that Hatcher could play either the 1T or the 3T DT spot, so if he is the one we sign, Donald still might be the pick.

Rockytop6

Reaction score
Sheesh! Ware's body isn't even cold yet and they are already courting Melton.

They had better be courting somebody. I hate to see Ware go but this isn't a wake. He was given a choice and he made his choice. I don't criticize him or weep over him. He gave us several tremendous years. I celebrate those. Now, I want somebody or somebodies to take his place and fill other holes and the team move forward successfully.

I wish he had taken a cut and remained, but evidently it was not a good move for him in his mind. JJ wanted him to stay but not at the price it would cost. We can't mourn over the past and whose fault this happened or that happened. We have to live in the now and look to the future.

chicago JK

Reaction score
He has been a good player.

To be honest, I don't like bringing In a free agent doing of knee injury. Even with his relationship to marinelli. I expect he is going to cost some money. It is just a a gamble that I would probably shy away from.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Well, I think that Hatcher could play either the 1T or the 3T DT spot, so if he is the one we sign, Donald still might be the pick.

Hatcher said last year he would have hated playing on the nose; which was the original plan had Jay Ratliff stuck around. The only way he's coming back is at 3T, in my opinion.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score

I agree. My ideal situation would be to sign Hatcher (not Melton) to a cheap 1 or 2-year deal, and draft Donald in the 1st. Go with Donald at the 3 and Hatcher at the 1. But I don't see Hatcher signing a cheap 1-year deal with us when some team will overpay him based on one year of production.