Free Agency Rumors Thread

dbonham

Reaction score
Seahawks are gonna sign Hatcher for like 2 years, 8mil and posters here are going to act like he would have accepted the same deal in Dallas

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Melton is about a month from being a full go. This helps Dallas because he will get a smaller deal IMO

MartinRamone

Reaction score
Byrd and Vaccaro, wow. I wonder how they got the money to offer such kind of deal to Byrd.

49ers got Jonathan Martin.

Questfor6

Reaction score
Yes, who would want a 27 year old, proven franchise 3-tech?

Agree 2 years ago he was in a category with Geno Atkins but because of a torn ACL everyone acts like we're going after the likes of Drake Nevis or Marvin Austin

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
whitner leaving the second best team in the nfl to go to the browns really surprised me.

they must have told him who they are going to draft this year ....or he is just chasing money.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
whitner leaving the second best team in the nfl to go to the browns really surprised me.

they must have told him who they are going to draft this year ....or he is just chasing money.

Not sure how big a factor it was but he is fromthere.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At least it appears the Cowboys are focused on the weakest part of our team. A lot of conversation about the DL which I greatly appreciate.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I have mix feelings on getting Melton. This means that they won't be interested in Donald which is too bad. But I think its the right move. However, I wouldn't mind we try and sign Hatcher for cheap if things don't go well with Melton.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I have mix feelings on getting Melton. This means that they won't be interested in Donald which is too bad. But I think its the right move. However, I wouldn't mind we try and sign Hatcher for cheap if things don't go well with Melton.

It doesn't mean that at all. All it does is give us versatility. If we sign Melton and Donald is there when we pick, I would say there is a 75% chance we still take him. The only alternative being a trade back. You can never have too many pass rushers--as last year proved.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
It doesn't mean that at all. All it does is give us versatility. If we sign Melton and Donald is there when we pick, I would say there is a 75% chance we still take him. The only alternative being a trade back. You can never have too many pass rushers--as last year proved.

True......Gotta agree with you here. If we get Melton though most likely Donald will be gone. But it does fill a needed position within the Dline. Heck, I'll be happy if we can still sign Hatcher to play along side Melton. Will see if this comes to that.

ceerrece

Reaction score
If we sign Melton, and Dallas don't want to draft a DT with the 16th pick, i think is safer to go after C.J. Mosley than reach for a DE like Ford or Ealy.

udas

Reaction score
I could see Melton signing a 1 year deal, with possibly a 2 year option. He knows he would have gotten a lot more money if he was healthy and can prove it this year. He has ties to the Dallas area, Marinelli is here as well, and if he has a big year he could cash in. Only problem is this wouldnt allow the Cowboys to do a whole lot else and Melton alone wont fix this defense. I may be in the minority here but think there are other ways we could spend the money that could have a greater impact and address multiple positions for the same cost as Melton. Of course if Melton somehow can be landed for a modest deal my thoughts would change a bit here.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Not too shabby!

Melton and Donald would shore up the inside of the DL for the foreseeable future. The DL is the most vital area of Marinelli's defense and I can't find anything wrong with making it scary good.

More likely though would be sign Melton, trade back and get Dee Ford with an additional pick.

Here is what I just wrote in another thread about that:

Look, Selvie plays the WDE position better than he does the SDE spot that he manned last year. He is more than solid against the run and would have probably had more sacks last year over on the weakside than Ware did. He isn't perfect, but he can set the edge all day long.

If Dallas moves back to the latter half of the first round and takes Dee Ford to come in on certain passing downs in place of Selvie, then I couldn't find much fault with that. Ford would get to some QB's, you can bet on that. It would be a platoon just like Seattle used. Nothing wrong with that. Ford could be very valuable in that role until he grows into a starter.

Selvie could move back to the strongside on passing downs, or even inside if they wanted Crawford at the SDE spot.

Ford would offer plenty of versatility on the DL, which is the most vital area of Marinelli's defense. He has rare athleticism for a guy his size, is strong for his size and can run like blue-blazes.

I'd be fine with a trade back for him.

If they sign Melton, I've seen Barr falling. Would he be a good fit for WDE with Marinelli or would he rotation guy like Ford?