Free Agency thread

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I would say that they believe he is their No. 1. And he was last year as far as production goes. The question, of course, is how much attention was Cooper drawing away from him, and can Gallup do the same? I wasn't too impressed with how our receivers played last year when Cooper was sidelined. Of course, the whole offense was stinking during that time, so maybe they can do better than that.

The chief obstacle to finding that out, though, is how many games Gallup is going to miss. We need a solid No. 2 to fill that gap because I don't think a Washington/Noah Brown combination is going to scare anyone into not just doubling Lamb.
CeeDee needs to bulk up and quit the droppsies

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
CeeDee needs to bulk up and quit the droppsies

Lamb was credited with four dropped passes last year, which tied him for 13th in the NFC and didn't put him anywhere close to the top in the NFL. Deebo Samuel had seven, JaMarr Chase had nine. Of course, Lamb was targeted less than some of the receivers with more, so that has to be factored in. Four drops out of 120 targets, though, isn't bad.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lamb was credited with four dropped passes last year, which tied him for 13th in the NFC and didn't put him anywhere close to the top in the NFL. Deebo Samuel had seven, JaMarr Chase had nine. Of course, Lamb was targeted less than some of the receivers with more, so that has to be factored in. Four drops out of 120 targets, though, isn't bad.

Drops aren’t an official stat, so different places will give you different numbers. This article talks about them specifically from 2020 and 2021:

https://dentonrc.com/sports/to-reac...cle_296e8511-afa4-57af-9d39-a78b7fc7892d.html

Reactions: CWR

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I watched every game but one last year and that is not what my eye test is telling me.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I watched every game but one last year and that is not what my eye test is telling me.
Missed a game? What's up with that? Lol.

My memory tells me there were a handful of times he was trying to run before he caught the ball. WR screens mostly.

CDL has every bit of the ability to be the lead dog, and I truly think he will prove that. I do worry a little about him being affected by the entitled culture around here though. Seems a bit full of himself already. Parsons will sadly get there soon enough.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Missed a game? What's up with that? Lol.

My memory tells me there were a handful of times he was trying to run before he caught the ball. WR screens mostly.

CDL has every bit of the ability to be the lead dog, and I truly think he will prove that. I do worry a little about him being affected by the entitled culture around here though. Seems a bit full of himself already. Parsons will sadly get there soon enough.
Culture killing player's attitudes?
Get out of here! :rolleyes:

speedkilz88

Reaction score
DEVON ALLEN

Career Receiving Statistics
Season GP REC YDS TD Long REC/G AVG/C AVG/G
2014 14 41 684 7 80 2.9 16.7 48.9
2015 12 9 94 0 23 0.8 10.4 7.8
2016 3 4 141 1 77 1.3 35.3 47.0

2013 — Collegiate experience limited as a redshirt freshman while struggling to remain healthy yet made the most of his opportunities in the 2014 spring, both on the football field and the oval track . . . Emerged as one of the program’s most promising receivers of the future during spring drills, culminated with a 49-yard touchdown grab among his two catches for 94 yards and two scores in the Spring Game . . . Scored second at the 2014 Pac-12 Track & Field Championships in both the 110 (13.47) and 400 hurdles (51.19) before snapping the school’s 10-year-old high hurdles school record in the NCAA regionals (13.27) . . . Culminated his inaugural collegiate track season by surging to the NCAA 110-meter hurdles crown in a championship meet-record 13.16 and the second-fastest collegiate clocking ever, before claiming the title at the USATF Outdoor Championships from a veteran field.

2014 — Performed like a seasoned veteran, pacing the Ducks in receiving yards (440) and yards per catch (19.1 avg.) through the first seven games of the season while tying for third in scoring (36 points) . . . Finished the year leading the team in touchdown catches (7) and ranking second in receiving yards (684) despite virtually missing the final two games of the year after injured on the opening kickoff of the Rose Bowl . . . Was on the receiving end of the Ducks’ longest pass-catch of the campaign with his 80-yard grab at Washington State . . . Led Oregon in receiving on two occasions while eclipsing the 100-yard plateau against Washington State (142) and Michigan State (110) . . . After catching one pass for 5 yards in his collegiate debut vs. South Dakota, he proceeded to account for scoring grabs in each of his next four appearances, including a touchdown reception of 70 yards against the Spartans . . .Snapped a seven-game scoring drought with a 4-yard TD catch in the conference championship game vs. Arizona . . . Thirty-one of his 41 catches resulted in first downs or touchdowns, including all five grabs in the regular-season meeting vs. Arizona . . . Also utilized as a kick returner in four games, accumulating 99 yards at California and 69 yards vs. Michigan State while pacing the team with a 26.1-yard average on only eight returns . . . Also picked up 21 yards on his lone carry of the year vs. Colorado . . . Awarded honorable mention academic all-conference honors following the end of the regular season . . . Red-shirted the 2015 track & field season while recovering from football injury.

2015 — Returning to action only nine months after suffering a knee injury, struggled to regain the proficiency he enjoyed as a freshman with varied results . . . Stepped onto the field in 12 of 13 games, catching nine passes for 94 yards while averaging 10.4 yards per grab . . . Caught passes in five games, including three catches for 28 yards in his second game back vs. Georgia State before returning the following week to grab two receptions for 13 yards against Utah . . . Also nabbed two grabs for a season-high 30 yards in the win over California before being held without a catch in his final three regular-season appearance . . . Stepped onto the field for the first time of the year at Michigan State yet was held without a catch for the first time as a collegian while positioning himself from the line of scrimmage . . . 2016 spring football practice participation consisted primarily in an advisory role as athletics preparations centered around the U.S. Olympic track & field trials . . . Returning to the track following a year's absence, bettered the 60-meter hurdles school record on three occassions during the 2016 indoor season, highlighted by 7.56 to win the NCAA indoor championships . . . Contributed 27.5 points to the team's conference championship efforts to be selected as the men's Athlete of the Meet, including individual titles in the 200 meters and 110 hurdles . . . Won the 2016 U.S. Olympic Track & Field trials 110 hurdles in Eugene with a PR 13.03 before finishing fifth in the Olympic Games in Rio.

2016 — Announced that he was turning professional in the sport of track & field on Nov. 16 . . . Played in the first three games before suffering a season-ending injury at Nebraska . . . Recorded the third 100-yard receiving effort of his career with 141 yards on four receptions vs. Virginia, including a 77-yard touchdown . . . Ended his collegiate football career with 54 receptions for 919 yards and eight touchdowns over 29 games . . . The Ducks complied a record of 23-6 with him and 2-7 without him in the lineup during his three seasons.

https://goducks.com/sports/football/roster/devon-allen/5338

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score

He participated in Oregon’s pro day and ran a sub-4.40 40 (somewhere between 4.35-43.9 according to handheld times) at 27 years old. Player with Olympic-level work ethic is intriguing, IMO it’s the number 1 thing lacking from instant millionaires coming out of the draft.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

This article had him at eight in December, but I feel some observers give a receiver drops even if the ball doesn't hit them in both hands or if they are trying to make a difficult/diving catch.

With three drops in last week’s victory over the New York Giants, CeeDee Lamb is facing some unusual criticism in recent days. But while the Cowboys’ receiver did struggle on Sunday, is his overall season and career progress now being treated too harshly?

Prior to Week 15 Lamb had just five drops in 13 games. With 109 targets on the year, that gave him a drop percentage of just 4.6%.

Of the NFL’s players with 100 or more targets so far in 2021, Lamb’s prior mark was on par or lower than some of the game’s best receivers.

Even with the last game now factoring in, Lamb’s drop percentage only goes up to 6.8% on the year. Those three drops in New York were certainly a bad at the office, but hardly representative of CeeDee’s entire season.

In fact, even after Sunday, Lamb’s still showing progress from his rookie season. Last year CeeDee finished with a 7.2% drop rate and should hopefully come in below that mark in 2021. He’s already set new career highs in receiving yards and touchdowns and has three games left to add to those margins.

CWR

Reaction score
Drops aren’t an official stat, so different places will give you different numbers. This article talks about them specifically from 2020 and 2021:

https://dentonrc.com/sports/to-reac...cle_296e8511-afa4-57af-9d39-a78b7fc7892d.html

You think he is really 200lbs? I agree a little bulk would be good for him, but I dont think he's as skinny as he's made out to be. It's just his body type, which explains the power he runs with after the catch. He's not an "easy" guy to bring down. Another 10-15 lbs of muscle could be good for him though. At 23 years old he's still growing into his man body.

CWR

Reaction score
This article had him at eight in December, but I feel some observers give a receiver drops even if the ball doesn't hit them in both hands or if they are trying to make a difficult/diving catch.

With three drops in last week’s victory over the New York Giants, CeeDee Lamb is facing some unusual criticism in recent days. But while the Cowboys’ receiver did struggle on Sunday, is his overall season and career progress now being treated too harshly?

Prior to Week 15 Lamb had just five drops in 13 games. With 109 targets on the year, that gave him a drop percentage of just 4.6%.

Of the NFL’s players with 100 or more targets so far in 2021, Lamb’s prior mark was on par or lower than some of the game’s best receivers.

Even with the last game now factoring in, Lamb’s drop percentage only goes up to 6.8% on the year. Those three drops in New York were certainly a bad at the office, but hardly representative of CeeDee’s entire season.

In fact, even after Sunday, Lamb’s still showing progress from his rookie season. Last year CeeDee finished with a 7.2% drop rate and should hopefully come in below that mark in 2021. He’s already set new career highs in receiving yards and touchdowns and has three games left to add to those margins.

The craziest thing about this teams curse is its almost always our best players making key mistakes at crucial times. Not to say that was the case with CD vs NY. It's just been a reoccurring, and maddening theme over the years.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You think he is really 200lbs? I agree a little bulk would be good for him, but I dont think he's as skinny as he's made out to be. It's just his body type, which explains the power he runs with after the catch. He's not an "easy" guy to bring down. Another 10-15 lbs of muscle could be good for him though. At 23 years old he's still growing into his man body.

Misquoted post?
:huh:

speedkilz88

Reaction score
He was 198 at the combine.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Thanks for the stats
Here's to a great season from CD next year!!!!!