Free agent DE's getting franchised; help must come in draft

Sydla

Reaction score
people need to get over this DE obsession, because the problem with the DL is the inability to get pressure up the middle consistently and the lack of collapsing the pocket and forcing the QB outside

Oh god, here we go again............... pressure up the middle. Seems that's the misguided battle cry every offseason around here.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I'd go after Perry but as Alexander states, the demand may put him out of our range.

In talks with Houston (if Romo interest rumors are true), I'd start by trying to package Romo and picks for Clowney. If they have no interest in parting with Clowney, I'd inquire about Whitney Mercilus.

Finally, I have no issue with bringing back DWare. He'd be fine as a situational pass rusher.

LittleD

Reaction score
I'd go after Perry but as Alexander states, the demand may put him out of our range.

In talks with Houston (if Romo interest rumors are true), I'd start by trying to package Romo and picks for Clowney. If they have no interest in parting with Clowney, I'd inquire about Whitney Mercilus.

Finally, I have no issue with bringing back DWare. He'd be fine as a situational pass rusher.

Just rumor...Texan's Owner said that they have absolutely "No Interest" in Romo. Only team with current rumor status is Denver and that also may be
agent drum beat. We aren't getting any FA DE's unless they are bottom of barrel types.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Texan's Owner said that they have absolutely "No Interest" in Romo

This is lying season.

They have to realize how close they are to competing with NE for the AFC AND that someone the caliber of Romo is hardly ever available for such a low price.

Whoever trades for Romo will be the talk of the off-season, no matter what happens in free agency.

conner01

Reaction score
Oh god, here we go again............... pressure up the middle. Seems that's the misguided battle cry every offseason around here.
Lol
Most of our pressure last year came from the middle
Some from Irving the rest from Collins and Crawford
We need pressure from the edge

conner01

Reaction score
Every year fans start their wish list and have their dreams crushed when teams don't let their pass rushers go
It's not rocket science, every team wants a qb and more pressure on opponents qb
That's why neither position gives much in free agency

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Wait...how is this possible. The Giants spend 200 million last year on defense, still have the money to franchise tag JPP and they are going after a free agent guard like Leary and a running back?

Magical :rolleyes:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wait...how is this possible. The Giants spend 200 million last year on defense, still have the money to franchise tag JPP and they are going after a free agent guard like Leary and a running back?

Magical :rolleyes:

The have pocket change tied up in RB's... Their offensive line is made up of a bunch of low-end players not making a lot. And their star WR is still on his rookie deal.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Pass rush from the edges is a bigger problem.

Once dallas played collins Dallas lead the league in sacks in the final 5 weeks of the nfl. and the only reason collins started playing more was because crawfords injury. Irving, Collins, McClain, Mayowa was the effective lineup and lead that charge at the end of the yr. McClain i dont think is going to be back. I guy like Brantley would be great for this DL and add in a Healthy Ware hopefully from FA and Lawrence i think u have something going there. Most of the top DEs in this draft are SDEs. Dallas is fine there. Tim Williams i wouldnt touch, McKinley will most likely start on the PUP. That leaves a guy like Charles Harris who i dont think is better then Mayowa. Dallas also has Tapper who is already healthy and ready to go.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
The have pocket change tied up in RB's... Their offensive line is made up of a bunch of low-end players not making a lot. And their star WR is still on his rookie deal.
Very true. Their D line is highly paid, they have expensive corners, and I believe Shane Vareen is making the same as Zeke. Eli makes coin but the receivers are still cheap

kumizi

Reaction score
As much as they need pass rush, I hope they don't draft a bunch of them just "hoping" to hit on something. I'd rather they stick to their board.

tm1119

Reaction score
Bring Demarcus back, draft a guy in the 1st or 2nd, and cross our fingers Lawrence and Tapper are healthy and the pass rush will be drastically improved. Hell, just subtract Jack Crawford and it will be improved. The # of snaps he got at DE last year was sickening.

And that's not including Collins getting his 1st healthy training camp and hopefully a lot more snaps out of Irving.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
If the only help we are gonna get is from the guys on the team we already have....aaaaaargh I wanna punch myself in the face

Couldn't beat the Giants last year, and they are upgrading that offensive line and running back. How have we closed that gap?!