Free agent DE's getting franchised; help must come in draft

Reaction score
Chandler Jones and Melvin Ingram will be franchised; Mario Addison has resigned. Unless we go after rotational DE's like Jabaal Sheard or Demarcus Ware, looks like our outside pass rush help will have to come in the draft. Which makes trading Romo to flip first round picks with HOU or DEN (if a rookie DE we like slips) all the more important.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Chandler Jones and Melvin Ingram will be franchised; Mario Addison has resigned. Unless we go after rotational DE's like Jabaal Sheard or Demarcus Ware, looks like our outside pass rush help will have to come in the draft. Which makes trading Romo to flip first round picks with HOU or DEN (if a rookie DE we like slips) all the more important.
Draft and in house players I tend to forget Tapper is available also. What was Tapper timed at 4.59 that's good speed for a 260 rush guy.Long reach and strong hands.
Don't recall his rush bend.I dont recall his tackling needed a lot of work.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I'd love ware back. But also marinelli likes interchanging dline so makes sense for us to get rotational players

Leadbelly

Reaction score
Probably ain't coming in the draft either. We have Irving and Lawrence as DE starters, with Crawford (one or both), Mayowa, and Tapper backing up.

Currently CB is Scandrick, 2nd-year Anthony Brown, and nothing.
SS is empty.
WR opposite Dez is empty.
TE might be a year away from being empty.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Probably ain't coming in the draft either. We have Irving and Lawrence as DE starters, with Crawford (one or both), Mayowa, and Tapper backing up.

Currently CB is Scandrick, 2nd-year Anthony Brown, and nothing.
SS is empty.
WR opposite Dez is empty.
TE might be a year away from being empty.

Mayowa should start over dlaw. But they need to draft de's. They need to replace dlaw and gregory.

Sydla

Reaction score
You likely aren't getting immediate impact pass rush players in the draft. They are rare.

The Cowboys have basically created this situation with a combination of questionable draft choices, injuries and lack of any real veteran additions via FA.

What you see is what you get and I expect 2017 will be much like 2018. Not good enough.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
image.png

Just wanted to refresh by memory. It looks like before his injury was discovered, Charles Tapper was projected to be the next Jack Crawford.

Sweet

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
You likely aren't getting immediate impact pass rush players in the draft. They are rare.

The Cowboys have basically created this situation with a combination of questionable draft choices, injuries and lack of any real veteran additions via FA.

What you see is what you get and I expect 2017 will be much like 2018. Not good enough.
That's depressing

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
people need to get over this DE obsession, because the problem with the DL is the inability to get pressure up the middle consistently and the lack of collapsing the pocket and forcing the QB outside

AshyLarry06

Reaction score
people need to get over this DE obsession, because the problem with the DL is the inability to get pressure up the middle consistently and the lack of collapsing the pocket and forcing the QB outside
Sorry LM but I respectfully disagree with your analysis, my friend. IMO, D-Tackle was arguably one of the stronger position groups of the entire 2016 Defensive unit and they only appear to be getting better with a young Maliek Collins and potentially David Irving sliding over to 3-tech full time.

Combine those two young studs with a hopeful re-signing of Terrell McClain and the retention of Ced Thornton and I believe the DT's are set for next year at the very least. The real problęmõ is at D-End, where we'll be short handed right off the bat with Randy Gregory being suspended for the entire upcoming season.

Factor in the uncertain statuses of both Tank Lawrence and Charles Tapper due to nagging injuries and I believe the problem at DE is far and away more serious and pressing than the situation at D-Tackle.

If we add two to three impact rushers at D-End this offseason, I strongly believe that you will see this defense take that next step and as a result of the strong DE play, the DT's will improve as well. You need to at least have the ability to pose the threat of an outside pass rush in order to successfully pressure the QB in today's NFL and as it currently stands, we simply don't have one.