Free agent DE's getting franchised; help must come in draft

LittleD

Reaction score
Sorry not in the "next year crowd"...this team has had a legit team at least 3 times since 95...this is the Cowboys...not the browns...wait till next year mentality is for the wanna be's, the one year wonder's...not the Cowboys...not this franchise..enough is enough...

I feel your frustration and your pain my friend. Problem is, when you evaluate the team, coaching & ownership there are lots of holes to plug
and we have never been that adept at picking FA at reasonable prices. The last one that earned his money was TO I think. We really don't have much choice since we've been a bottom half to middle of the road NFL team since 1995. The Glory days have long since departed Dallas and like Cleveland, Oakland & Jacksonville, we can only wish and hope that situations improve.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
The owner blew his cap last year for Osweiler so why would he take another huge risk with a 37yr old QB who
can't seem to stay healthy. If he wants to improve his team, wouldn't it make more sense to go after Garoppolo from NE
in a trade. Makes more sense to me.
why would New England help Houston?

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Walden is and has been awful.

And Alexander is a massive individual standing 6'1" and weighs 245lbs (won't cut it at DE) who was a product of Rex Ryan's convoluted 3-4 DE– Oh and Alexander faded badly down the stretch for the Bills.

Pass on both.
Didn't Walden get 11 sacks last year. I gotta check his previous years but 11 isn't bad

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
NE is looking for a draft pick before they lose Garoppolo to FA. This is what NE does. You don't think Bellicheat
would know how to defense his understudy QB.
No doubt he would but they are smart enough to recognize the teams that are challenges to their AFC dominance. If Houston were to acquire him, they would have to overpay dearly.

LittleD

Reaction score
No doubt he would but they are smart enough to recognize the teams that are challenges to their AFC dominance. If Houston were to acquire him, they would have to overpay dearly.

Everything you say is reasonable. I just think there a very few teams that would give much for aging Romo unless they lose
their QB in pre-season or TC. In that case, we would have to hold Tony through summer and would we risk having to pay his
14mil salary for a vested vet.

plasticman

Reaction score
Good write up! Are you leaving out edge rushers such as von miller, perry, ect who are listed as linebackers in your analysis? Second question why did you use past 3 seasons ?
No, Von Miller was one of the 13. However, he is a linebacker and I dont believe he would flourish as a DE.

I used the past three seasons because they are the most relevent to today's NFL. Also, I figured three seasons would show some consistancy, of which there seems to be very little.

I never really thought of sacks as being that relevent to the game. However, there is a definite correlation between sacks and INT's. There is also a correlation to winning, although that could be the result of an opponent's desperation to score when significantly behind.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
  • In 2016 16 players got 10 sacks plus which is 50% of the NFL teams
  • 2015 - 16 players w 10+ sacks 50%
  • 2014 - 18 players w 10 + sacks 56%
  • 2013 - 24 players w 10+ sacks 75%
  • 2012 - 20 players w 10+ sacks 62%
I was too lazy to keep going, but you get the drift. More than have the league has a war daddy.
If you lower the bar from 10 to 9 sacks, the number goes up drastically. These stats are for DEs and edge rushers like Von Miller, Ware, Nick perry ect...

DFWJC

Reaction score
Chandler Jones and Melvin Ingram will be franchised; Mario Addison has resigned. Unless we go after rotational DE's like Jabaal Sheard or Demarcus Ware, looks like our outside pass rush help will have to come in the draft. Which makes trading Romo to flip first round picks with HOU or DEN (if a rookie DE we like slips) all the more important.
JPP franchised too

As for Romo...flipping 1sts with Houston seems very far-fetched.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
No, Von Miller was one of the 13. However, he is a linebacker and I dont believe he would flourish as a DE.

I used the past three seasons because they are the most relevent to today's NFL. Also, I figured three seasons would show some consistancy, of which there seems to be very little.

I never really thought of sacks as being that relevent to the game. However, there is a definite correlation between sacks and INT's. There is also a correlation to winning, although that could be the result of an opponent's desperation to score when significantly behind.
All good sir. Not trying to charge you up or anything. Have a great day and go cowboys!

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
And dallas got that outside pressure late in the yr when they lead the last 5 weeks in sacks.why? Because they got that inside push wth Collins and McClain making QBs uncomfortable. And them inside blitzes. It all starts from the inside out. Wish this team had the balls to cut T Crawford. you lose 50k on the salary cap this yr but next you you gain 9mil giving dallas close to 70mil in cap room

I think it starts upfront....as in across the entire front; esp in this defense designed to be penetrating. But you are almost always going to see more production from your ends who are generally 1 on 1.

Last edited:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Chris Long might be what is left:

Free agent DE Chris Long announced that he won't be re-signing with the Patriots.

It doesn't sound like there's any bad blood between the two sides whatsoever, but Long "want(s) to get back to being the player I was before" and play a bigger role on his next team. After being an every-down player with the Rams the first eight years of his career, Long took more of a back seat in New England, playing just 15 snaps in the Super Bowl as a situational pass rusher. Turning 32 later this month, Long probably doesn't have more than a couple years left.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/354945/FA-Chris-Long-says-he-won't-re-sign-with-Pats

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Wow James Harrison got extended two more years. He's 39 and gonna be 40 during the season

Hmmmmmm I need some of what he's taking. Super vitamins

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Are there any war daddy's available in 2018 or 2019? Hope we can get some action by then.