Free agent DE's getting franchised; help must come in draft

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
There is not enough pressure all around but DE is most often where you're going to get pressure. There it is more often 1 on 1 esp the weak side. It's 3 vs 2 inside although Marinelli gets around that some with jumping the gap.

But we do need pressure up the middle. That is not of as much use without outside pressure though.

Exactly............all that does is flush the QB out of the pocket.

Outside pressure is the key and we totally suck at it...........don't expect a deep playoff run until that changes. You are not going to beat the Aaron Rogers and Matt Ryans of the NFL if your pass rush sucks. Just a fact.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Exactly............all that does is flush the QB out of the pocket.

Outside pressure is the key and we totally suck at it...........don't expect a deep playoff run until that changes. You are not going to beat the Aaron Rogers and Matt Ryans of the NFL if your pass rush sucks. Just a fact.

Well, you can beat a Matt Ryan just as NE did but not everyone is a NE.

I'd go after Ware and draft a pass rusher in R1-4 if possible. It is difficult to say take a DE in R1 since we don't know who will be there.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Theres a couple of edge rushers still out there
Erik Walden and Lorenzo Alexander. They gotta be better than what we have.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
There is not enough pressure all around but DE is most often where you're going to get pressure. There it is more often 1 on 1 esp the weak side. It's 3 vs 2 inside although Marinelli gets around that some with jumping the gap.

But we do need pressure up the middle. That is not of as much use without outside pressure though.
And dallas got that outside pressure late in the yr when they lead the last 5 weeks in sacks.why? Because they got that inside push wth Collins and McClain making QBs uncomfortable. And them inside blitzes. It all starts from the inside out. Wish this team had the balls to cut T Crawford. you lose 50k on the salary cap this yr but next you you gain 9mil giving dallas close to 70mil in cap room

LittleD

Reaction score
This is lying season.

They have to realize how close they are to competing with NE for the AFC AND that someone the caliber of Romo is hardly ever available for such a low price.

Whoever trades for Romo will be the talk of the off-season, no matter what happens in free agency.

The owner blew his cap last year for Osweiler so why would he take another huge risk with a 37yr old QB who
can't seem to stay healthy. If he wants to improve his team, wouldn't it make more sense to go after Garoppolo from NE
in a trade. Makes more sense to me.

LittleD

Reaction score

Really, I don't think so... There are no great "Quick Twitch" DE's in FA now. Marinelli doesn't want or need
more bums.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Probably ain't coming in the draft either. We have Irving and Lawrence as DE starters, with Crawford (one or both), Mayowa, and Tapper backing up.

Currently CB is Scandrick, 2nd-year Anthony Brown, and nothing.
SS is empty.
WR opposite Dez is empty.
TE might be a year away from being empty.
AWWW the joy of being reminded how this team squandered a golden opportunity this past year. Big holes to fill for sure and the FA "stud" pool is drying up with all the tags and deals.

LittleD

Reaction score
AWWW the joy of being reminded how this team squandered a golden opportunity this past year. Big holes to fill for sure and the FA "stud" pool is drying up with all the tags and deals.

Hey, it's not all bad. I would lay money down that we take at least 1 DE in this upcoming draft. Tapper is supposed to be on the
mend so that we can see if that speed he has can translate into sacks. We have some young players coming back for Marinelli
to work with. We're acquiring more speed at LB and seemed to blitz a bit more toward the last of the season. It takes
some time to build the defense just like it took time to build this OL. Things are looking up, really up, in at least a decade.
What's not to like? Stephen already said we would not be big players in FA but, would nibble for mid-tier bargains.

CCBoy

Reaction score

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Hey, it's not all bad. I would lay money down that we take at least 1 DE in this upcoming draft. Tapper is supposed to be on the
mend so that we can see if that speed he has can translate into sacks. We have some young players coming back for Marinelli
to work with. We're acquiring more speed at LB and seemed to blitz a bit more toward the last of the season. It takes
some time to build the defense just like it took time to build this OL. Things are looking up, really up, in at least a decade.
What's not to like? Stephen already said we would not be big players in FA but, would nibble for mid-tier bargains.
Until I see Tapper/Smith on the field actually performing pretty hard to put any faith into what they may bring. Throw into the equation Cousins is on his way out of DC....the unthinkable may just happen. Yeah its bad at least for me...still not over losing again when it matters. Tired of seeing this team under perform in big games...yeah the sting of defeat has not left my thoughts...

LittleD

Reaction score
Until I see Tapper/Smith on the field actually performing pretty hard to put any faith into what they may bring. Throw into the equation Cousins is on his way out of DC....the unthinkable may just happen. Yeah its bad at least for me...still not over losing again when it matters. Tired of seeing this team under perform in big games...yeah the sting of defeat has not left my thoughts...

You could say that about any draft pick since they can get hurt right out of the gate in Training camp. Many parts and pieces have to perform very
well in order to mount a drive to the playoffs. Our offense kept things moving pretty well and the defense held as well as you could expect with the lack of pro bowl players on that side of the ball. I understand the frustration since it's been the 1990's since we've been to a championship game. Outside the Jimmy Johnson era, we haven't been good enough for whatever reason. We've had a number of draft wins and draft losses over the years just like most teams. The offense is starting to gel and the defense is slowing being re-tooled. Just going to take time to see if the coaching staff can make things work. We don't have a Bellicheat so be patient...Maybe next year.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Walden is and has been awful.

And Alexander is a massive individual standing 6'1" and weighs 245lbs (won't cut it at DE) who was a product of Rex Ryan's convoluted 3-4 DE– Oh and Alexander faded badly down the stretch for the Bills.

Pass on both.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
You could say that about any draft pick since they can get hurt right out of the gate in Training camp. Many parts and pieces have to perform very
well in order to mount a drive to the playoffs. Our offense kept things moving pretty well and the defense held as well as you could expect with the lack of pro bowl players on that side of the ball. I understand the frustration since it's been the 1990's since we've been to a championship game. Outside the Jimmy Johnson era, we haven't been good enough for whatever reason. We've had a number of draft wins and draft losses over the years just like most teams. The offense is starting to gel and the defense is slowing being re-tooled. Just going to take time to see if the coaching staff can make things work. We don't have a Bellicheat so be patient...Maybe next year.
Sorry not in the "next year crowd"...this team has had a legit team at least 3 times since 95...this is the Cowboys...not the browns...wait till next year mentality is for the wanna be's, the one year wonder's...not the Cowboys...not this franchise..enough is enough...