Free agent DE's getting franchised; help must come in draft

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Impact Pass Rusher

Elite Pass Rusher

Dominating defensive End

War Daddy

What are we looking for? What do we want this guy to do for us? What measureable accomplishments do we expect?

I know the pass rush is a problem, but is it a problem with talent level, specific skill set, coaching philosophy, defensive style, or some other aspect?

Overall, this defense was ranked #5 in limiting points. Yes, they did get scored on in the playoffs by one of the more prolific offenses led by an obvious future Hall of Famer and a direct issue in the loss was the lack of a pass rush.

Looking at the sack stats over the past three seasons there has been only 13 DE's that averaged 8 sacks per season or 1 sack in every two games. 7 of them were first round draft picks, 3 of them a top 5 pick overall.

The draft and free agency strategy of the Cowboys over the past several seasons seems to be one in which they don't actively seek any perceived immediate need. They draft the best talent they can get regardless of position and, eventually, that need is filled.

I think they also understand two things if they were to "go out and get" a guy:

1. He will be overpriced.

2. They are always one play away from being right back where they were before they signed him to that overpriced contract.

Their strategy is to incrementally add talent to a squad and obtain elevated results through superior scouting, competition, training, and the player's character as previously described by Jason Garrett.

However, it's in this scenario where you can get some very pleasant surprises. Example? Expectations for Dak prior to the season was somewhat lower than if the Cowboys had somehow moved back up into the 1st round.

Suppose the Cowboys sign a top guy in free agency to a fortune only to draft the next Charles Haley in the 4th round of the next draft? Even suppose that we were never able to really discover his talent level because he didn't get enough exposure as the result of backing up the big contract free agent.
Good write up! Are you leaving out edge rushers such as von miller, perry, ect who are listed as linebackers in your analysis? Second question why did you use past 3 seasons ?

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Sorry LM but I respectfully disagree with your analysis, my friend. IMO, D-Tackle was arguably one of the stronger position groups of the entire 2016 Defensive unit and they only appear to be getting better with a young Maliek Collins and potentially David Irving sliding over to 3-tech full time.

Combine those two young studs with a hopeful re-signing of Terrell McClain and the retention of Ced Thornton and I believe the DT's are set for next year at the very least. The real problęmõ is at D-End, where we'll be short handed right off the bat with Randy Gregory being suspended for the entire upcoming season.

Factor in the uncertain statuses of both Tank Lawrence and Charles Tapper due to nagging injuries and I believe the problem at DE is far and away more serious and pressing than the situation at D-Tackle.

If we add two to three impact rushers at D-End this offseason, I strongly believe that you will see this defense take that next step and as a result of the strong DE play, the DT's will improve as well. You need to at least have the ability to pose the threat of an outside pass rush in order to successfully pressure the QB in today's NFL and as it currently stands, we simply don't have one.
:hammer::hammer::hammer:

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
So who is left beyond Perry?
No one?

CBs - Bouye and Prince?

We may have no choice but go FA on RT and WR and trade up the draft for a DE...
Ugly
I'm really sad now, I had dreams of a Super Bowl next year but now it's dawning on me...we're gonna have the same defense. Such is life

waldoputty

Reaction score
I'm really sad now, I had dreams of a Super Bowl next year but now it's dawning on me...we're gonna have the same defense. Such is life

like-wise, 1st round DEs generally dont make a big difference year 1.

we may be better off getting a blitzing LB and play a 3-3-5 on passing down and take turn blitzing the LB and Jaylon (hopefully)

We better not take Tim Williams in the 1st or 2nd rounds.
Dont need a 2nd coming of Gregroy unless at least until 3rd round...

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score

Disappointing end of the season and so far this offseason.

With the 28th pick in the draft, even if a DE is there it will be hard for him to make an immediate impact.....plus there will be alot of pressure on him also. Between a rock and a hard place, someone tell Myles Garrett to get 3 DWIs or something.

Going another season looking at Jack Crawford and Tyrone Crawford playing all those snaps makes me want to punch myself in the face, Fight Club style.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Well, guess we have to trade up for Myles Garrett now.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Well, guess we have to trade up for Myles Garrett now.

We did get Haley by trade, only hope with that is if we can pull off a trade for a vet pass rusher.

Wish Jerry would shut up talking about a War Daddy, and actually work on getting one, by trade.

Not like we don't have assets we could trade, just wish Jerry wouldn't telegraph it to the league so he sounds desperate.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Disappointing end of the season and so far this offseason.

With the 28th pick in the draft, even if a DE is there it will be hard for him to make an immediate impact.....plus there will be alot of pressure on him also. Between a rock and a hard place, someone tell Myles Garrett to get 3 DWIs or something.

Going another season looking at Jack Crawford and Tyrone Crawford playing all those snaps makes me want to punch myself in the face, Fight Club style.
Same here bro! I wanna punch myself too. Two Crawfords and a mayowa

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
like-wise, 1st round DEs generally dont make a big difference year 1.

we may be better off getting a blitzing LB and play a 3-3-5 on passing down and take turn blitzing the LB and Jaylon (hopefully)

We better not take Tim Williams in the 1st or 2nd rounds.
Dont need a 2nd coming of Gregroy unless at least until 3rd round...

Plus the defense most likely downgrades at ss also. I think church will be gone.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
I don't want any outside guy either at this point. Just resign our guys and keep drafting we'll. Tony Jefferson (who I keep reading on here) isn't much different than Wilcox or Church.

That's the problem is they've drafted well except at de. Had they don't better we wouldnt be in this pickle. Gregroy seems like a lost cause and draw has been a bust. Liked the tapper pick but health issues.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
That's the problem is they've drafted well except at de. Had they don't better we wouldnt be in this pickle. Gregroy seems like a lost cause and draw has been a bust. Liked the tapper pick but health issues.
We haven't taken a first round edge guy lately though. That changes this year. If we can't hit on a first round edge guy.........

gmoney112

Reaction score
Yeah, first year DE's just don't do much. Getting used to NFL tackles, extra games, is hard for those young guns to do.

Just bring back Ware already and draft a guy or two. If Ware can stay healthy he can probably give us 300 snaps.

And Tapper is going to be our Michael Bennett. Book it. He may not do it this year since it's basically his rookie year, but he will.

Next time someone links an NFL.com scouting profile they're gettin' shanked.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Yeah, first year DE's just don't do much. Getting used to NFL tackles, extra games, is hard for those young guns to do.

Just bring back Ware already and draft a guy or two. If Ware can stay healthy he can probably give us 300 snaps.

And Tapper is going to be our Michael Bennett. Book it. He may not do it this year since it's basically his rookie year, but he will.

Where in line at the commissary or in the yard?

waldoputty

Reaction score

does he have a back issue?

Silverstar

Reaction score
Trading #28 for Clowney or Mercilus is worth a try.

I think Houston would consider with Watt coming back from injury.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
So who is left beyond Perry?
No one?

CBs - Bouye and Prince?

We may have no choice but go FA on RT and WR and trade up the draft for a DE...
Ugly
Poe is going to hit FA.

Personally I thought he was the best option for us, any way. But with fewer guys to select from, it seems he'll get even more $$

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
people need to get over this DE obsession, because the problem with the DL is the inability to get pressure up the middle consistently and the lack of collapsing the pocket and forcing the QB outside

There is not enough pressure all around but DE is most often where you're going to get pressure. There it is more often 1 on 1 esp the weak side. It's 3 vs 2 inside although Marinelli gets around that some with jumping the gap.

But we do need pressure up the middle. That is not of as much use without outside pressure though.