Free agent QB situations should be leverage for contract negotiations

vlad

Reaction score
I'll be shocked if that negotiating mastermind Stephen Jones doesn't sign Dak for a record contract.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Do we have a QB under contract? If we don't, then that's your answer. Deny what you want but I'm not wrong. BTW, this is you. You say you don't want to get into a multi blah blah thread but yet, here you are.

I'm pretty sure you never really watched Hill at BYU. I think you are saying you did but no, I don't think so. He's a much better throw then Tebow ever was but doesn't matter. You say he's not an every down QB. OK, why? How do you know this?

We don’t have to have him under contract because we can franchise him which means he’s not going anywhere. If he doesn’t want to sign the franchise tag he’ll have to sit out. I could care less what Taysom Hill did at BYU that’s not the NFL. If Taysom Hill was a better passer than Tim Tebow than how come he went undrafted? Tebow won a Heisman trophy and was drafted in the first round. I know Taysom Hill isn’t an every down QB because he wasn’t being used as an every down QB when Drew Brees was injured. Bridgewater is the QB that replaced Brees not Taysom Hill.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I disagree and think we need to see more..

The MVP of the league this season was a borderline gadget guy btw.

Taysom Hill has looked really good in the pre-season and has been decent when asked to throw in the regular season..

He’s very talented.

"Need to see more" is exactly why I think the Saints will flip him to a QB-desperate team in the hopes they'll overpay a la Garappolo to SF. I don't think he's all that great either but he's been backing up one of the all-time greats for a few years so that can't hurt.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I will be glad when Dallas gets Dak signed that way at least the complaints will be he did not deserve it in some people eyes.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

However he led the league with 36 TD passes. Taysom Hill has never thrown a TD pass in 3 seasons. Jackson was drafted in the first round because of the potential he showed as a passer and a runner. He was very efficient throwing the football with a 113.3 passer rating. Big difference between Lamar Jackson and Taysom Hill.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
However he led the league with 36 TD passes. Taysom Hill has never thrown a TD pass in 3 seasons. Jackson was drafted in the first round because of the potential he showed is a passer and a runner.

Yeah but the guy throws well because he runs well. He gets matchups out wide because defenses are terrified he will take off on them.

The guy rushed for like 1200 yards this year.

If he was forced to sit in the pocket nobody would be worried but the defense is threatened by it every play and you can believe if Taysom Hill is on the field he will have that advantage as well.

He's looked good in the pre-season when given the opportunity and he has an endorsement from Sean Payton.

From what i've seen and from what others who coach him have seen I like him as a prospect.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yeah but the guy throws well because he runs well. He gets matchups out wide because defenses are terrified he will take off on them.

The guy rushed for like 1200 yards this year.

If he was forced to sit in the pocket nobody would be worried but the defense is threatened by it every play and you can believe if Taysom Hill is on the field he will have that advantage as well.

He's looked good in the pre-season when given the opportunity and he has an endorsement from Sean Payton.

From what i've seen and from what others who coach him have seen I like him as a prospect.

Taysom Hill runs well himself and can run over defenders but you don’t see him throwing touchdowns or showing efficiency as a passer. Compare his passer rating with Lamar Jackson’s.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Taysom Hill runs well himself and can run over defenders but you don’t see him throwing touchdowns or showing efficiency as a passer. Compare his passer rating with Lamar Jackson’s.

Really?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

Watch the film! Like I said you’re too fixated on the things he does well like running away from defenders, running over them, catching the football and the occasional good throw down the field. That combination ended up getting Tim Tebow drafted in the first round. His liability as a passer is the reason he didn’t last long.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I disagree and think we need to see more..

Taysom Hill has looked really good in the pre-season and has been decent when asked to throw in the regular season..

He’s very talented.

If he's very talented, where is Dak on this scale?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If he's very talented, where is Dak on this scale?

Talent eventually plays out and you learn what the player is regardless of his talent.

So Dak is a known commodity.

Taysom is a unknown.

I don't even know why we're talking about Taysom Hill so much because the Saints aren't letting him go anyways. They think he is their future.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The way things played out you were dead wrong! You were so convinced we couldn’t get Romo under the cap that you wanted me to prove that we could. lol There was only one thread where we got into a multipage argument about Romo and this was the thread from 2013. Most of our posts were from the last several pages of the thread.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/would-you-trade-romo-for-the-1-pick.250692/

OK, I read the entire thread. Where do you think I was wrong? When you say that I was so convinced that we wouldn't get Tony under the cap, well, that's not right. I believe what I said was that we couldn't afford Tony and all the other FAs, which turned out to be true. Is that the point you were eluding to?

Jenky

Reaction score
I'm on board with renting a QB like Brees or Brady, especially if Dak is going to overestimate his talents and demand top 3.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
OK, I read the entire thread. Where do you think I was wrong? When you say that I was so convinced that we wouldn't get Tony under the cap, well, that's not right. I believe what I said was that we couldn't afford Tony and all the other FAs, which turned out to be true. Is that the point you were eluding to?

It would take a day to read that entire thread. lol You’re the type that just likes to argue and argue and argue! I’m not about to waste several days with you again. Post a quote from that thread where you ended up being right. :thumbup:

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
If they bail on Dak, they will lose the entire lockerroom in my opinion.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
We don’t have to have him under contract because we can franchise him which means he’s not going anywhere. If he doesn’t want to sign the franchise tag he’ll have to sit out. I could care less what Taysom Hill did at BYU that’s not the NFL. If Taysom Hill was a better passer than Tim Tebow than how come he went undrafted? Tebow won a Heisman trophy and was drafted in the first round. I know Taysom Hill isn’t an every down QB because he wasn’t being used as an every down QB when Drew Brees was injured. Bridgewater is the QB that replaced Brees not Taysom Hill.

Well, you can franchise him but he doesn't have to sign it. He may not be going anywhere but it doesn't mean we have QB either because he doesn't have to play. That is a possibility. I don't believe that will happen but it's certainly possible.

Taysom was injured and he played at a program that is not as highly touted as was Florida. I mean, it's not really all that big of a stretch.

What does Bridgewater being the starter over Hill have to do with anything? Seriously, I don't get any of this.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It would take a day to read that entire thread. lol You’re the type that just likes to argue and argue and argue! I’m not about to waste several days with you again. Post a quote from that thread where you ended up being right. :thumbup:

OK, well, take a day if you have to and get back to me I guess. Me, I've already read it so my question isn't going to change. I guess I can expect to hear from you tomorrow?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
How could it not be?

Look at New Orleans..

Brees will be available..

Bridgewater is available.

Taysom Hill is a RFA and I can’t imagine them not wanting to see him on the field ASAP with his contract status and their long term future at that position.

So we could have Drew Brees and Tom Brady both available.

Then there is a long list of other QB’s starting with Winston, Rivers, Mariotta, potentially Derek Carr.

Who knows how the chips could fall...

How is this not a ton of leverage for the Cowboys to use in contract negotiations if they so choose.

Some of those guys are upgrades and some of them would perform just as good as Dak if they were in Dallas.

If Drew Brees becomes available Dallas should be all over that.

Instead we will give Dak a long term deal and some smart team like the Titans will go get Brees or Brady and be better off for it then we are.
the first question in signing a QB should be what's the best option to get us to the super bowl and how realistic is it to get one of these options.

Brady and Brees are probably not realistic options. I can understand the NFL Madden generations just signing/adding players ad hoc...but in real world NFL it doesn't work...let me repeat Brees and Brady aren't coming to dallas.

Is bridge water really better than Dak...lets debate. I like Dak better....

is Taysom Hill? no really WTTF.....seriously!!! WTTTFFFF this is just plain stupid

Mariotta!!!! really....you are going to go to the superbowl with him? he got benched..BENCHED…...

Rivers? noodle arms Rivers of the past two years will have problem fielding anything but back up roles...this is not the Rivers of 5 years ago so stop living in the past....

Carr!? not sure if he is better option than Dak...lets debate....there is a reason Raiders are looking to move on from him....what has he accomplished exactly? is he superbowl worthy....

I have been a Dak critic...been called Dak Hater...but I am a cowboys fan and we have to find the best option to win a superbowl….so lets say in your opinion he is worth 31 mill a year. and he wants 34....and you are ready to go to a lesser option to save 3 mill on the salary cap....to prove what!?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Well, you can franchise him but he doesn't have to sign it. He may not be going anywhere but it doesn't mean we have QB either because he doesn't have to play. That is a possibility. I don't believe that will happen but it's certainly possible.

Taysom was injured and he played at a program that is not as highly touted as was Florida. I mean, it's not really all that big of a stretch.

What does Bridgewater being the starter over Hill have to do with anything? Seriously, I don't get any of this.

No way is he going to sit out and lose 28M on the franchise tag. Not happening!

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Talent eventually plays out and you learn what the player is regardless of his talent.

So Dak is a known commodity.

Taysom is a unknown.

I don't even know why we're talking about Taysom Hill so much because the Saints aren't letting him go anyways. They think he is their future.

I just don't understand your logic. You are the one that said you would bring him in over Dak.
Dak, is better than everyone you named.