Frustration of us knowing more than coaches

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It doesn't but we don't know how Wilson was practicing.

I remember in 2016 when everyone saw Dak, Romo, Showers and Moore and a lot of reports came out that Dak and Showers were battling each other. Come to find out Dak is a better in game performer than he is at practice.

There are so many decisions that goes into playing a guy.

As long as they make the right decision that's all that matters I'm not going to complain about when they did it.
This is an example of why the preseason games are important. Prescott was said to not practice well, but he lit it up in the pre season games when he was drafted.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right. If Jerry listened to the fans we'd have Johnny Football here instead of Zack Martin.

We would be 0-16 every year if fans ran the team.
They would dump every player, even pro bowlers, and stick with player on 1st contracts all the time. Because they think a rookie on less pay is better than giving a contract over the minimum pay.
As they will want to tank every year to get a top draft pick, only to dump him after 4 or 5 years. Or one bad play in TC, cut the player.

tomsanders921

Reaction score
Just like we know to give the ball to Zeke at least once on 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 instead of passing each down?

Yep!
I agree with that. But in the coaches defense, they had a wide open td on the fourth down but dalton somehow didn't see him. Schultz was wide open and dalton threw to the wr just underneath him.

Trajan

Reaction score
I played high school football in the DFW area, even played varsity, so I’m basically superior to the coaching staff....I’m kinda a big deal.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Just because you are a great OLman, OG, doesn’t mean you can just jump out to another position. It kept striking me that early on we never heard Zack saying, “whatever the team needs.” It was always, “I’m playing guard!” With a new staff and little practice and no preseason, I seriously doubt if he even practiced at RT. I think the bye week was the first time Martin had the time to really dive in on a new position, the techniques and assignments on every play. The defender handoffs, stunts, outside blitzes. A man with the pride Zack clearly has in his play may have felt a little resistant to moving out there before he was ready.

And he has the stature that the staff wouldn’t force him out there before he felt he was ready.....not to mention before McGovern was ready to start. Just unsubstantiated thoughts, but I’m sure we will hear more sometime in the future if this was only a stubborn staff or if it also dealt with Martin and a new RG being ready.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You dont know more than the coaches. Nobody here knows more than the coaches. If you did know more than the coaches you would have a job in the nfl.
How rude! Please do not throw cold water on the careers of super successful Madden NFL head coaches.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It's absurd to moan a couple of flawed calls out of an entire game of good ones.
In reality, that game was, by far, the best game called of any this season. :angry:

To me, it appears probable that some of us have an agenda with Kellen Moore!

Last edited:

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I think it was a "slowing the game down" thing for McGovern. He had a great college career and has a ton of physical talent, but he did look lost when Martin got hurt and he had to step in. Steele was awful but he was the last OT standing, the coaches said he would improve with reps and in fairness, he did improve. Not enough, but he did.

But if you gave both guys all the reps going forward McGovern could turn into a solid starter while Steele has the ceiling of a swing tackle.

Ya gotta admit though that its crazy a guy who hadn't seen the field in his entire NFL career until a few weeks ago started yesterday and did fine. (at least that was my impression from the broadcast tape).

I have to agree with the OP that there are a lot of instances where people on this forum make rational arguments as to why a player should be getting some playing time or more playing time and when it finally happens they do as well or better than who they replaced. I think most coaching staffs are conservative by nature but that shouldn't be an excuse especially when the whole team has been stinking it up. This was the perfect year to see if there are guys who are better players than practicers. Continuing to play guys who have proven they are bad is just not smart. Take a chance.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
This is an example of why the preseason games are important. Prescott was said to not practice well, but he lit it up in the pre season games when he was drafted.
exactly. he practiced like doody. he would have probably been cut had he not gotten an unexpected chance to play.

Reactions: G2

kskboys

Reaction score
Ya gotta admit though that its crazy a guy who hadn't seen the field in his entire NFL career until a few weeks ago started yesterday and did fine. (at least that was my impression from the broadcast tape).

I have to agree with the OP that there are a lot of instances where people on this forum make rational arguments as to why a player should be getting some playing time or more playing time and when it finally happens they do as well or better than who they replaced. I think most coaching staffs are conservative by nature but that shouldn't be an excuse especially when the whole team has been stinking it up. This was the perfect year to see if there are guys who are better players than practicers. Continuing to play guys who have proven they are bad is just not smart. Take a chance.
There are times when the coaches are too close to see the answer. Happens to all coaches.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Exactly. I never been a fan of getting rid of preseason. I never understood the notion that they "don't matter".