Frustration of us knowing more than coaches

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Yeah.. I look forward to preseason every year.. It's like bonus football. Also because the Cowboys used to come to the Bay Area almost every preseason I would get a chance to see my favorite team in person during preseason. I always hoped for it to be that all important third preseason game so I could get a look at the starters for at least a half. But it didn't matter.. I just wanted some football to watch. Just as it gives the staff a chance to evaluate guys in game action it lets us fans see the new guys in game action too. I know the season ticket holders feel like they get ripped off having to buy both preseason games.. but it is what it is.. You don't like it, don't buy season tickets.. Problem solved.
I used to get geared up to watch practices and scrimmages. I just love football.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Ya gotta admit though that its crazy a guy who hadn't seen the field in his entire NFL career until a few weeks ago started yesterday and did fine. (at least that was my impression from the broadcast tape).

Bob Sturm posted his weekly article on the Offense and really liked McGovern's play yesterday. He was a guy that was really high on McGovern after he was drafted but wasn't pushing for him to be on the field this year. Him and Broaddus both seem to be saying the move was about McGovern progressing and being in a situation where he was between two veterans in Looney and Martin. They both thought two rookies next to each other (Biadasz and McGovern) would be a fatal weakness opponents would exploit and kill our offense.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Bob Sturm posted his weekly article on the Offense and really liked McGovern's play yesterday. He was a guy that was really high on McGovern after he was drafted but wasn't pushing for him to be on the field this year. Him and Broaddus both seem to be saying the move was about McGovern progressing and being in a situation where he was between two veterans in Looney and Martin. They both thought two rookies next to each other (Biadasz and McGovern) would be a fatal weakness opponents would exploit and kill our offense.

McGovern is not a rookie but I get your meaning. I think McGovern looked pretty bad the first time he was pressed into duty so the coaches got spooked. He has looked better in spot duty here lately which obviously calmed them down and enabled them to make the move with Zack. While I don't believe I am smarter than every coach in the NFL I also don't necessarily accept that every coach in the NFL is smarter (football-wise) than I am. But they do it for a living. Spend 70-80 hours a week watching film, discussing the nuances of the upcoming opponent, watching guys practice. So even if they are not as smart as me, they have 1000 times as much information as I do. So even if I disagree with their decision, I have to respect that they have come to the conclusion they came to regarding a particular player or position group honestly. But just because a coach is wrong, that doesn't make them stupid. It just makes them wrong on that particular count. But they've likely made 100 correct calls we don't hear about before making the one we disagree with.

Trendnet

Reaction score
How many of us, and how many times, called for Zack Martin at RT, Donovan Wilson at SS, and Antuan Woods/Neville Gallimore (or anyone other than Poe) at DT? Yet why did it take almost one half of a season to make these changes? So very frustrating that us fans saw this so much earlier than the coaches.

Makes me wonder why you haven't started your NFL GM career yet?

Laziness?

Kaiser

Reaction score
But they do it for a living. Spend 70-80 hours a week watching film, discussing the nuances of the upcoming opponent, watching guys practice. So even if they are not as smart as me, they have 1000 times as much information as I do. .

I agree 1000%. They make plenty of mistakes but for every move like the OP mentions, every fan (myself included) wants to make 20 moves that wouldn't have worked out. The coaches know the assignments and who is executing, fans are often making their decisions based on a few highlight plays. Lael Collins in his first year was the perfect example, he would miss assignments and then pancake someone on the fourth play - then fans would want him playing in the Pro Bowl.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Makes me wonder why you haven't started your NFL GM career yet?

Laziness?

That's not really fair man.. there are only 32 NFL GM jobs in the world and really only 31 because the one here in Dallas is not going to open up until Jerry is too senile to find his way to the facility .. You're not getting one of those jobs without some serious connections. Obviously none of us has any such connections or we'd at least be a junior team exec trying to work our way up the ranks. I mean how many of us would take half our salary for ANY NFL job? But you basically can't get one without essentially being a volunteer to do some silly mundane task just to get your foot in the door. Any of us who has a wife knows they won't let us do any job for free no matter how much we love doing it. I remember when I was knocking around with some local nightclub and wedding bands my wife was always on me about the fact that we didn't make a whole lot of money for our gigs. I was like "Who the F cares? I'm getting paid to make music.." Something I absolutely loved doing and would do for free.. If I was single I would camp out at the STAR until I found something I thought they needed doing and then I would offer to do it or actually do it until got them to give me a job doing something with the Cowboys.