Frustration of us knowing more than coaches

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
How many of us, and how many times, called for Zack Martin at RT, Donovan Wilson at SS, and Antuan Woods/Neville Gallimore (or anyone other than Poe) at DT? Yet why did it take almost one half of a season to make these changes? So very frustrating that us fans saw this so much earlier than the coaches.

Well that's a huge problem with the organization.

They have to see things fail several times before they make changes.

So many things are obvious but the Cowboys must watch us fail and fail and fail before they decide to do something.

This is why we win nothing.

Hardline

Reaction score
Romo fans did yeah but there was a part of this fanbase that wanted them to get Johnny Football. There was also a part of this fanbase that wanted them to draft Carson Wentz.
They only fans that wanted Johnny College fell for the hype.
Johnny College wasn't going to come in the NFL and be able to chunk the ball downfield to Mike Evans just about every play.

Most of us knew Zack Martin was an elite talent.

The eagles trading up ended the Wentz talk.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Were you one of the ones who wanted Carson Wentz?
RemarkableTediousDwarfmongoose-small.gif

Lol

kskboys

Reaction score
Were you one of the ones who wanted Carson Wentz?
Wentz was never a top prospect. Most fans don't take the time to differentiate between a decent prospect such as Wentz and a real top prospect such as Lawrence in the upcoming draft.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Wentz was never a top prospect. Most fans don't take the time to differentiate between a decent prospect such as Wentz and a real top prospect such as Lawrence in the upcoming draft.

Man I never even heard of Carson Wentz until people started hyping him up on this site lol. There was definetly a group of people on this site who wanted him.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Coaches are conservative by nature. Because when they make a move and it backfires they are subject to another word that has F-I-R-E in it. So they typically don't make moves until they absolutely have to. It has to hit them over the head.. hard. I will give McCarthy and his staff a pass this year with all the irregularities they have dealt with vis-a-vis Covid-19, no real offseason, no preseason.. new team.. even the coaching staff has had to learn to work with one another. It is what it is.. As long as we are still in this thing I won't hate on their having waited on these moves too much. No I didn't like what I was seeing from the DT position most of this year or from Darian Thompson and Xavier Woods.. and I about lost my lunch watching Anthony Brown yesterday.. AB has 4.3 speed yet still manages to have to hold all over the field. There isn't a receiver in the league who can just run by him.. Why do you need to hold all the damn time?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They only fans that wanted Johnny College fell for the hype.
Johnny College wasn't going to come in the NFL and be able to chunk the ball downfield to Mike Evans just about every play.

Most of us knew Zack Martin was an elite talent.

The eagles trading up ended the Wentz talk.
People were upset that the Cowboys didn't trade up for Wentz. You guys can revise history but I remember all of these posts on this site lol.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Exactly. I never been a fan of getting rid of preseason. I never understood the notion that they "don't matter".
It may be boring to some. But not me. I like to follow the drafting and FA process and you get a real good look at roster moves in pre season. It's the next best thing to real game time playing. It's got to be a huge tool for the staff with roster cuts.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It may be boring to some. But not me. I like to follow the drafting and FA process and you get a real good look at roster moves in pre season. It's the next best thing to real game time playing. It's got to be a huge tool for the staff with roster cuts.
I always loved it because you get to see the rookies play and develop. Its like getting a early look at contributors down the road. It also gets you read for the NFL season. I always eat it up man I never understood the hate and complaints it got.

Reactions: G2

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I always loved it because you get to see the rookies play and develop. Its like getting a early look at contributors down the road. It also gets you read for the NFL season. I always eat it up man I never understood the hate and complaints it got.
Same here. Like when Romo lit it up and we were all like: "who's this guy?" Same with Prescott. I love the underdogs.

I'm spit-balling here, but there's got to be less injuries because they're conditioned more.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
How many of us, and how many times, called for Zack Martin at RT, Donovan Wilson at SS, and Antuan Woods/Neville Gallimore (or anyone other than Poe) at DT? Yet why did it take almost one half of a season to make these changes? So very frustrating that us fans saw this so much earlier than the coaches.
Probably because Biadiaz, Martin, Steele > Biadiaz, McGovern, Martin. I understand the coaches not wanting to put two first year players next to each other at C and G. Having Martin at RG between a rookie C and an UDFA RT was the right play. Once Looney got back in there at C, it makes more sense to have Martin out at RT with a first year player at RG between an All Pro and a veteran C. Not to mention that the coaches see these guys every day and obviously felt that McGovern wasn't quite ready early in the season. It's really not that complicated to figure out.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

Has it ever occurred to you that during practice, that all these fan wannabe coaches don't get to see, those players were still making to many mistakes and that when they finally starting doing well in practice they got their chances.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
it took 2 wins and 7 loses for kellen to make the zack martin adjustment .

Here's a news flash for your wannabe coach career, the OC doesn't decide who the starters are and/or where they play. The head coach makes those decision.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
There is patience....and stupidity. Sadly...our coaching staff really blurs the lines when it should be crystal clear in what to do. :rolleyes:

Please list all of the coaching jobs you've had, especially in the NFL.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

Yeah.. I look forward to preseason every year.. It's like bonus football. Also because the Cowboys used to come to the Bay Area almost every preseason I would get a chance to see my favorite team in person during preseason. I always hoped for it to be that all important third preseason game so I could get a look at the starters for at least a half. But it didn't matter.. I just wanted some football to watch. Just as it gives the staff a chance to evaluate guys in game action it lets us fans see the new guys in game action too. I know the season ticket holders feel like they get ripped off having to buy both preseason games.. but it is what it is.. You don't like it, don't buy season tickets.. Problem solved.

Reactions: G2

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What people?
Lol you guys are kidding yourself if you think Wentz is going to bust. What a joke.
Time will tell, but I agree Wentz will be really good in this league. I would say I worry more about Philly next year than I do the other two teams in this division.
Wentz is just an all around better human being.

Btw, this is why I'm smarter than the average fan. I can admit when a rival has a better player.