FTF: Eric Mangini: What do the Cowboys have to do to take the next step

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
So you're saying the Cowboys should be drafting a top QB every 3 to 4 years, while getting rid of the previous one in order not to pay them $20+ million per year? How is the team ever going to stay consistently good that way?
And you are not going to have the pick to draft like that.

The team would have to crater to get the draft pick every 4 years.

That isn't happening.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
All star players due up for new contracts (Dak, Zeke, Amari, D-Law, etc) will have to give Jerry some discounts and accept a little less than some other team would offer them. That's the only way this team will be able to afford to keep or build on this playoff team.

If those key players get greedy and start asking for top pay, this franchise is going to struggle.
Those players have put up with this organization and now they have to take pay cuts lol? Good luck with that. This team can afford to overpay them and they will do it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Do you realize that Dak is going to want 25 mil a year. The difference between Dak and Mahomes is being able to pay a top safety. I would rather have mahomes and go cheap at safety than Dak and that star safety for the Chargers.
I’d rather have the quarterback and safety but I guess it depends on how high or low you feel about the quarterback.

conner01

Reaction score

This is exactly what I would do but make no mistake, you pay him IMO. He's the centerpiece to everything we do as a run-first team. It's no coincidence we hear time and time that every team has one goal in stopping our offense...... contain or stop Zeke.
I agree
And if you sign him now you can get out when the day comes he’s worn out
He’s not gonna be a guy playing at 30
He gets too many carries
Sign now and you can easily get out when that day comes

tyke1doe

Reaction score
This is what I think about your idea... :facepalm:

Godzilla feels the same way, too.

94JUFbI.png
:laugh:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Bingo! I wouldnt pay Dak because of the reasons you stated and I wouldnt pay Zeke because he has a 5 th year option and the dude is going to worn out. Just not worth being saddled to a worn out RB for 4-5 years.

We always write deals with outs after 3 years. Saddled for 4-5 years literally never happens.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
That is exactly what I would do. Draft a guy every 3-4 years UNTIL you find a true franchise QB. You stay consistently good by having a top run game and defense until you find a true Franchise QB. If you don't think Herbert or Tua after sitting a year could not out perform Dak then that's your opinion. My opinion is that Herbert or Tua after sitting a year will out perform Dak. In my opinion both Herbert and Tua have a much higher ceiling than Dak.
ROFL... dude, this is just more insanity... so while your out there churning QB's, your once great D and RB are old, broken and out.... that is NOT how you build a team..just look how long it's taken us to get this excuse for a defense, and we all "thought" they were the bomb until the Rams made em look like bowling pins. No, your plan won't work, because you will be needing to draft or grab FA's every 3 years to replace the worn out parts...and how about THIS idea, we dump the bumb *** HC and vanillahan and go get a HC and OC that will actually USE Dak's greatness? How about we do that before we toss out the baby WITH the dirty water. Good grief :facepalm:

Philmonroe

Reaction score
And I knew this day would come when you haters start complaining, HE.

I was really hoping for an enjoyable offseason on CZ. Too good to be true. :facepalm:
How much of that Dak contract you getting for being this dedicated to clapping for him?

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Dallas fans need to think they are elite at every position. They need that to overcome the coaching that NEVER delivers. Draft Herbert or Tua??? How are you going to do that? Planning on Dallas winning 2 or 3 games?
You can do this thing called trading up. Maybe you've never heard of it before but it's possible. Don't know how crazy it would be in capital until the next season is over though.

Creeper

Reaction score
The CAP analysis is flawed. The Cowboys can cut Hurns and Lee and save $12 million which should give them about $64 million in CAP room. They can make more room in other ways but let's assume they don't. When we look at the contracts they sign, we have to look at guaranteed money. Let's take Zeke. Let's say they give him a 5 year deal worth $100 million. And let's say its $5 MM salary in year one with a $50 MM signing bonus. The cap impact is not $20 million a year, its $15 in the first year. Then it depends on the salary schedule in the later years. To be clear, I don't think Zeke is getting $100 million or a $50 million signing bonus. That would be ridiculous. He'll probably get offered half of that.

The same is true with Dak, although Dak's contract will probably be more evenly scheduled to not create a massive cap problem in the future. QBs have longer careers than RB and its more likely Dak will see the end of this contract than Zeke will. The same goes for Lawrence. The Cowboys will probably give him a deal like they gave to Demarcus Ware then cut him towards the end of the contract when his CAP impact get too high. Sounds harsh but this is how you have to do it, and it works as long as you prepare to replace the older guys as you let them go.

The point is, if the cap impact was the contract face value, no teams would fit everyone in under the CAP. The Cowboys should extend Dak and Zeke but only if Zeke is not asking for absurd money. They should re-sign Lawrence to a back loaded salary with a good signing bonus. I would try to sign Beasley but only if he is willing to take a reasonable contract. I don't see Beasley as anything but a 3rd down slot receiver. To me, a guy like that costs a few millions a year, not $10 million.

Willfreedom909

Reaction score
All star players due up for new contracts (Dak, Zeke, Amari, D-Law, etc) will have to give Jerry some discounts and accept a little less than some other team would offer them. That's the only way this team will be able to afford to keep or build on this playoff team.

If those key players get greedy and start asking for top pay, this franchise is going to struggle.
Nah with an offensive coordinator who knows what he’s doing we wouldn’t need as much talent. Dak and Zeke would combine for 60 touchdowns

Rajveer

Reaction score
I would say that you can't pay Dak and keep all the great players around him that he needs to be successful. In order to win a championship with Dak you need an Elite OL and Elite RB an Elite Receiver and an Elite Defense. That's a lot of Elites folks. You just cannot pay Dak and everyone else. I would make Dak play out his contract then franchise tag him and draft a guy like Herbert or Tua but that's just me.
I gave you a like just because you said Tua :)

ClintDagger

Reaction score
It truly is the dumbest logic when you break to down like this lol.
That’s not the approach, but neither is overpaying for a guy like Dak. The entire philosophy around having a non-elite guy like Dak as your QB is that you get him for a bargain compared to what most teams pay that position and you can put a great supporting cast around him. He went 8-3 with this supporting cast once Cooper came aboard and maybe with a full strength OL next year they can take a step or 2 forward.

The problem is, we saw Saturday how much of a gap there is between Dallas and the elite and looking at the tea leaves it doesn’t look like the supporting cast around Dak is going to get leaps and bounds better, especially if he gets a huge contract. So, there’s a very good chance you’ve already hit your ceiling with this staff & roster and I think that’s what has fans feeling uneasy.

Proof

Reaction score
Bumping the zeroes over would mean it's $45K on $1 million which is significant to me because I don't have an extra $45K lying around. I can't imagine when negotiating contracts and bidding against other teams that $45K times whatever multiple of millions being paid tips the scales to one team over another. I'm not trying to be a contrarian. I hear the state tax argument all the time in for all of the sports and I actually wonder how much money that comes out to be. For baseball or basketball when we are talking 81/42 games I guess it can add up but for football I don't think it does as much.

Don’t think those numbers are right. New York is closer to 10 pct for incomes over a million dollars, so you can roughly for easiness sake take 100k per million. You can see how quickly that adds up. And as far as home vs away games, it’s not 50/50. For football players I believe they are taxed for two “duty days” for away games, so even those games 5/7’s of that week is accounted for at home. So that tax is a fraction of a fraction

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That’s not the approach, but neither is overpaying for a guy like Dak. The entire philosophy around having a non-elite guy like Dak as your QB is that you get him for a bargain compared to what most teams pay that position and you can put a great supporting cast around him. He went 8-3 with this supporting cast once Cooper came aboard and maybe with a full strength OL next year they can take a step or 2 forward.

The problem is, we saw Saturday how much of a gap there is between Dallas and the elite and looking at the tea leaves it doesn’t look like the supporting cast around Dak is going to get leaps and bounds better, especially if he gets a huge contract. So, there’s a very good chance you’ve already hit your ceiling with this staff & roster and I think that’s what has fans feeling uneasy.
It’s not overpaying though. People keep trying to dictate how much a player gets based on outdated contracts other players got. The higher the salary cap gets the higher players get paid. It’s just what it is.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I agree
And if you sign him now you can get out when the day comes he’s worn out
He’s not gonna be a guy playing at 30
He gets too many carries
Sign now and you can easily get out when that day comes

Exactly...but I will say, if I sign him to the mega deal, I'm getting a more quality backup than Smith.

Ddisco22

Reaction score

they are not due until next year, the question is whether or not they will do it this year.
I doubt Dak gets a new contract, the will however take care of D-Law and Coop, possibly Zeke this year also.