Future Cowboys? The top 20 potential NFL free agents and whether they'd fit in Dallas

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Okay, after umpteen mentions the last month I just have to ask. What am I missing on Lamar Miller? Why is he so coveted?

Miller is a good back.

He's young, can run and catch, doesn't have a lot of wear and tear and is young.

zack

Reaction score
Not all that impressed by this list. Miller would be good but I'm sure we could draft a back too.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Miller is a good back.

He's young, can run and catch, doesn't have a lot of wear and tear and is young.

I'd rather address it in the draft. I don't like settling. Getting an okay player from Miami isn't my idea of Plan A. Especially when it's significantly more expensive.

I suppose he could thrive getting more of a workload. I'm just surprised everyone sees his Dolphins career and is salivating at the thought of signing him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This defense could use a Von Miller, Eric Berry or Josh Norman.

Realistically I wonder what Bruce Irvin's market is like.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Okay, after umpteen mentions the last month I just have to ask. What am I missing on Lamar Miller? Why is he so coveted?

He's a 3 down back that has a lot of potential. He's been misused in Miami. Got some speed too and can run downhill. Good in pass protection, since apparently that's the #1 criteria that our staff seems to use in evaluating players.

3m/per is a bargain. If we can get him for that it shouldn't even be a question.

I like Jackson on that list, surprised Mebane wasn't mentioned. Gipson either.

We have a lot of holes, anything we can patch up in FA with quality players and not the Jasper Brinkleys of the world is pretty much a necessity at this point.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'd rather address it in the draft. I don't like settling. Getting an okay player from Miami isn't my idea of Plan A. Especially when it's significantly more expensive.

I suppose he could thrive getting more of a workload. I'm just surprised everyone sees his Dolphins career and is salivating at the thought of signing him.

It's one less draft pick you have to use on offense.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Who do you like rounds 3-4?

I'd take one as high as the first round (Elliott) if the quarterbacks we want aren't available, and we trade down.
In the second, I'm good with Henry and Collins. Those three have been my main draft pets.
I want to get a running back anywhere within our top three picks.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I think they definitely pursue one of those Safeties and a 1T like BJ Raji. I really don't see them paying big money to a FA at most of the other positions, unless its a game changer like Alshon Jeffrey or Josh Norman.

I don't see an OT either, I've been one of Free's biggest critics but he played well at the end of the season and the team likes Chaz Green. I'll rather roll with that than pay the three million in dead cap money and have to pay another 5 million or so on top of that for another FA.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I hate lazy articles like that. Most if not all won't even have a chance to be Cowboys, a lot won't even be a consideration. The majority won't even be available.

If I had to pick any of the 20 listed, I would go with Lamar Miller, Danny Travathen and Eric Weddle.

Since we all know we will never have a huge free agent bounty like we had with the Ferguson/Henry/Rivera triple shot in 2005, I will settle with one.

That would be Weddle. No question. We need a veteran presence in the secondary.

I like Miller, but we can get a cheaper rookie back.

I think that is a great list, but I want Hardy if the choice is Miller or Hardy.

I want to draft QB, RB, CB and 1T

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
This is a list of players that will be franchised or will want too much money for the Cowboys.

DallasBlockersClub

Reaction score

He's really fast so obviously he's a good running back.

In all seriousness, he's a very productive player both running the ball and in the passing game, and has been a victim of being horribly utilized in Miami. Would be very good in Dallas.

FWIW, I'd rather just draft our own. (Alex Collins)

Last edited:

Kaiser

Reaction score
I want to draft QB, RB, CB and 1T

I haven't done any real draft review but I've read a couple of things that the 1T position is very deep after the 3rd round, which could be a great fit for one of our 4th or someone dropping to one of our 6ths.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
He's a 3 down back that has a lot of potential. He's been misused in Miami. Got some speed too and can run downhill. Good in pass protection, since apparently that's the #1 criteria that our staff seems to use in evaluating players.

3m/per is a bargain. If we can get him for that it shouldn't even be a question.

I like Jackson on that list, surprised Mebane wasn't mentioned. Gipson either.

We have a lot of holes, anything we can patch up in FA with quality players and not the Jasper Brinkleys of the world is pretty much a necessity at this point.

I like the guy but why not get a RB in the draft with the cheap contract that comes with him?