Future Cowboys? The top 20 potential NFL free agents and whether they'd fit in Dallas

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Well that's the thing. IMO, no team is going to let a solid player go. There's the rare instances where maybe a guy like Suh slips through the cracks and a Revis. But i'm not for the guy who balled out his contract year. I'm no for the second tier player who balled out his year.

Is Von Miller was to hit free agency he'd dominate on whatever team he lands on. I understand that. But you don't see many guys in free agency of that caliber. I use free agency to fill in spots. Like a McFadden. I don't look for future starters through it though or overapy.

I guess we differ on that. I think you can upgrade your starters through selective shopping.

Would a player like Travis Benjamin, for instance, offer us a better No. 2 option than Terrence Williams? At what cost?

Would Lamar Miller be a starting-quality back to pair with McFadden?

There will be few truly splash players out there, and frankly, if a player like Wilkerson hits the open market, we should go after him, but there will be quite a few solid players that we can go after.

We don't need to just sit back and let the good ones go so we can sift through the remainder like we have been doing. That mostly just leaves us with players good enough to make a roster, but not elevate the team — the Minceys, Terrell McClains, Haydens, Selvies.

Now, I'm not saying those kind of guys don't serve a purpose, but they don't need to be the main ones our team is relying on. We need to be taking fliers on players like David Irving, Jack Crawford, etc., but we also need to be grabbing some players who actually proven their talent in the NFL.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I guess we differ on that. I think you can upgrade your starters through selective shopping.

Would a player like Travis Benjamin, for instance, offer us a better No. 2 option than Terrence Williams? At what cost?

Would Lamar Miller be a starting-quality back to pair with McFadden?

There will be few truly splash players out there, and frankly, if a player like Wilkerson hits the open market, we should go after him, but there will be quite a few solid players that we can go after.

We don't need to just sit back and let the good ones go so we can sift through the remainder like we have been doing. That mostly just leaves us with players good enough to make a roster, but not elevate the team — the Minceys, Terrell McClains, Haydens, Selvies.

Now, I'm not saying those kind of guys don't serve a purpose, but they don't need to be the main ones our team is relying on. We need to be taking fliers on players like David Irving, Jack Crawford, etc., but we also need to be grabbing some players who actually proven their talent in the NFL.

Have you ever seen a current contender or past contender win free agency and actually contend? I just think when you do that you no longer get the "hungry" player. The player who gives it his all. And I understand why they don't. You have your money. Its not guaranteed. So you don't play as hard as you once did your contract year. But I think that's also why you see teams have success with hungry players as opposed to a bunch of free agents who are no longer playing for a big contract.

I'd like Benjamin on this team for the right price. I don't really consider him a "splash" free agent.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Have you ever seen a current contender or past contender win free agency and actually contend? I just think when you do that you no longer get the "hungry" player. The player who gives it his all. And I understand why they don't. You have your money. Its not guaranteed. So you don't play as hard as you once did your contract year. But I think that's also why you see teams have success with hungry players as opposed to a bunch of free agents who are no longer playing for a big contract.

I'd like Benjamin on this team for the right price. I don't really consider him a "splash" free agent.

Win free agency? Not sure what that really means. I believe in using free agency to make your team better. If that means you have a shot at the top pass rusher available and you go get him, so be it. If it means you upgrade your second receiver spot with a player like Benjamin, then so be it.

I'm not looking to make a "splash." I want Dallas to FA shop with the idea of grabbing clear improvements not fill-out-the-roster kinds of guys.

I'll mention Wilkerson again. If the Jets are foolish to let him go, then Jerry should be foolish enough to throw whatever money it takes at him to get him here. Not because he's a "splash" player, but because he is a proven DL threat who would improve the interior of our defense for years to come. He could play some nose and some 3-tech and be a clear upgrade to the players we have at those positions.

If Alshon Jeffrey isn't franchised by Chicago, I'd be happy if Dallas decided to add him to complement Bryant because it would give us an outstanding 1-2 punch at receiver. It would be a "splash" signing, but it would also be a very good signing based on his production over the past three years.

Eric Berry would do the same for our secondary. Miller/Ivory would improve our running game, etc. And picking up players like that means we don't have to draft players at their positions to improve the team.

Now, it's a good possibility Wilkerson, Jeffrey and Berry never make it to free agency, but I'd hate for Dallas to not go after them if they did, knowing how desperately this team needs to improve those starting spots.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Win free agency? Not sure what that really means. I believe in using free agency to make your team better. If that means you have a shot at the top pass rusher available and you go get him, so be it. If it means you upgrade your second receiver spot with a player like Benjamin, then so be it.

I'm not looking to make a "splash." I want Dallas to FA shop with the idea of grabbing clear improvements not fill-out-the-roster kinds of guys.

I'll mention Wilkerson again. If the Jets are foolish to let him go, then Jerry should be foolish enough to throw whatever money it takes at him to get him here. Not because he's a "splash" player, but because he is a proven DL threat who would improve the interior of our defense for years to come. He could play some nose and some 3-tech and be a clear upgrade to the players we have at those positions.

If Alshon Jeffrey isn't franchised by Chicago, I'd be happy if Dallas decided to add him to complement Bryant because it would give us an outstanding 1-2 punch at receiver. It would be a "splash" signing, but it would also be a very good signing based on his production over the past three years.

Eric Berry would do the same for our secondary. Miller/Ivory would improve our running game, etc. And picking up players like that means we don't have to draft players at their positions to improve the team.

Now, it's a good possibility Wilkerson, Jeffrey and Berry never make it to free agency, but I'd hate for Dallas to not go after them if they did, knowing how desperately this team needs to improve those starting spots.

What I mean is look at what the Eagirls did that one year they got Asomugha and Jason Babin. Or last year when they got Maxwell. Or the Dolphins with Suh. Or the Rams with Finnegan. Or us with Brandon Carr. I'm just asking do these moves work? And in comparison to perenial playoff teams....they usually never get into these bidding wars of free agency.

RW31

Reaction score
Give me WR Marvin Jones and CB Janoris Jenkins and RB Chris Ivory.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
A 1st round RB at 15th will be about 11m all guaranteed for 4 years. About the same as a FA

I'm very very unlikely to ever espouse drafting a RB in the first....ever. TD, AD, someone like that yeah. Earl Campbell. Those are first rounders. Everyone else goes in the middle or even late rds AFAIC. Until the rules change this is a passing league and will remain so.

gimmesix

Reaction score
What I mean is look at what the Eagirls did that one year they got Asomugha and Jason Babin. Or last year when they got Maxwell. Or the Dolphins with Suh. Or the Rams with Finnegan. Or us with Brandon Carr. I'm just asking do these moves work? And in comparison to perenial playoff teams....they usually never get into these bidding wars of free agency.

I do not think you can build your team in FA. I do think you can supplement your talent in FA. You've got to have draft success to go along with the FA success.

Adding a player like Suh can be the final piece or one of the final pieces, but if you're looking at him to turn an 8-8 team into a champion, it's not likely to happen.

I believe we have several talented parts (Romo, Bryant, the offensive line) in place that we can supplement them in FA and succeed. I also again believe you don't pay a premium for age looking for that shot to win, so you have to shop smartly.

A 26-year-old DL who has had two 10-plus-sack seasons in the past three (and has only played in four seasons overall) would be smart shopping even with an expensive contract. Paying a premium for a then-31-year-old cornerback going into his ninth year in the league is not smart shopping.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Agreed. It costs too much to stock your talent from FA. You have to be selective mindful of the costs to your cap now and the future. Teams have moved on from that idea of buying a SB. You have to play the game to finish the season then the decade and beyond. Jerry was just slow applying this lesson. The draft is where you build and sustain.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I do not think you can build your team in FA. I do think you can supplement your talent in FA. You've got to have draft success to go along with the FA success.

Adding a player like Suh can be the final piece or one of the final pieces, but if you're looking at him to turn an 8-8 team into a champion, it's not likely to happen.

I believe we have several talented parts (Romo, Bryant, the offensive line) in place that we can supplement them in FA and succeed. I also again believe you don't pay a premium for age looking for that shot to win, so you have to shop smartly.

A 26-year-old DL who has had two 10-plus-sack seasons in the past three (and has only played in four seasons overall) would be smart shopping even with an expensive contract. Paying a premium for a then-31-year-old cornerback going into his ninth year in the league is not smart shopping.

A 26 year old DL that has two 10 plus sack seasons in the past three seasons? That sounds exactly like Greg Hardy to me.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
I have two brothers. One's a Vikings fan and the other is a Dolphins fan. Diehards too. The Dolphins fan is an unapologetic homer constantly reminding me of what a great core of young players they have down there. I pay extra attention to those two teams if only to revel in their failure.

So yes I've seen Miller plenty. I can't say he wouldn't thrive in Dallas getting more touches behind a better offensive line but he wouldn't be my top target. I'd look to the draft.

Favorite commercial or no?

AzorAhai

Reaction score
I personally would go after Miller as long as the price tag doesn't get too crazy. After that from the upper echelon guys, I would go after Jenkins who is a better fit for what Marinelli wants to do, Gipson and check in on Weddle if I can't get Gipson(no not all of them, these would just be on my wishlist). I would also like to go after Derrick Johnson as a stop gap veteran who still plays at a high level. 1 tech needs to be upgraded in FA, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I wouldn't be opposed to any of the big name targets this year. Maybe even try for one top tier and 2 mid tiers. Hell go after 2 top tiers and a mid tier. Whatever it takes to try to win now, while convincing Jerry they can still win with the 4th pick sitting on the bench for 2 years. The window they are in now is closing. They should plan for the future, while also wedging some 2x4s in the window to keep it open as long as possible. If that takes being active in FA, so be it

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I thought that the 'safeties under contract' comment was ridiculous. Isn't every bum 'under contract' before he's cut? I'd drop either Wilcox or Church without thinking twice about it.

So would I but Church has embedded himself as a "core Cowboy". He is not going away anytime soon.

Exactly 30 days ago:

"I think Barry Church has really continued to improve every year he's been in the league."-Stephen Jones

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So would I but Church has embedded himself as a "core Cowboy". He is not going away anytime soon.

Exactly 30 days ago:

"I think Barry Church has really continued to improve every year he's been in the league."-Stephen Jones

Great.

But isn't going from terrible - bad - mediocre a sign of "improving" too?

:thumbdown:

gimmesix

Reaction score
A 26 year old DL that has two 10 plus sack seasons in the past three seasons? That sounds exactly like Greg Hardy to me.

Obviously, Hardy was not a normal situation for a variety of reasons.

If there's a free agent we choose to go after who has been forced to sit out for a year, is going to likely be suspended for several games before we can even get him on the field and needs a special contract because of the concerns about him, then we can talk about similarities.

This was a unique situation where Dallas tried to get a high-production player in his prime who was available because of special circumstances and picking him up failed. Not even sure we can learn from it not to pick up a player who has been forced to sit for a year considering that a similar situation didn't seem to affect Adrian Peterson.

gimmesix

Reaction score

Exactly 30 days ago:

I agree that Church has, but I also agree that his position is one we need to look to upgrade. Church is a limited player because of his lack of speed. He makes up for it better than some understand because of his football intelligence, but that lack of speed is always going to make him a player Dallas needs to upgrade.

I think the ideal role for him would be as a backup safety/nickel linebacker.