Future Cowboys? The top 20 potential NFL free agents and whether they'd fit in Dallas

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
This draft is loaded at Rb, I am betting there are going to be numerous guys who will make contributions next year as college free agents.
Rather use free agency on positions weak in this draft, DE, WR, Corner, three tech maybe.

Yeah interested to read who the butcher likes. I have only read where Elliott has a 1st rd grade. So not sure about loaded.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see a really uninspiring list there of guys who are very likely to be overpaid in a year where teams will be flush with cap room. I think it's a great year to be a free agent.

I like Miller at a good price and Weddle is very high on my list to help stabilize this secondary for a few years, again if the price is right.

I thought that the 'safeties under contract' comment was ridiculous. Isn't every bum 'under contract' before he's cut? I'd drop either Wilcox or Church without thinking twice about it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What? Our offense is in dire need of skill position talent. QB, RB, WR and TE. They all need upgrading.

Well I agree with that NOW but i'm saying prior to last offseason I believe we all thought we were set with Romo, Randle/Mcfadden, Dez and Terrence and Witten/Hanna/EScobar. And that was just a year ago. We have spent TOO many resources and money in that offense to use high value picks on them.

Like I said in another thread, you can't have Pro Bowlers at every position. Every team will have holes. QB is clearly the exception depending on who's there when we draft. But none of those positions should be addressed before round 3 or 4. And I don't know WHY anyone would want this team to draft a tight end while Witten is still on this team. That's insane. They've let it be known three 2nd round tight end picks ago that they aren't going to stop playing Witten until he simply can't walk anymore.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Okay, after umpteen mentions the last month I just have to ask. What am I missing on Lamar Miller? Why is he so coveted?

He's never averaged below 4.0 YPC and averaged 4.5 and 5.1 his past two years, rushing for 8 touchdowns each year. He's also a young back who should have several prime years left, rather than being an older back whose legs could fall off at any time.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's fine. Its also the unknown. Miller...you already kind of know what you have in him. But initially you just said you wanted "triplets". Wanting better is fine. What's better?

Triplets as in a franchise QB, a bellcow RB and an alpha WR.

Is Lamar Miller a bellcow RB? I didn't see it in Miami.

chicago JK

Reaction score
I want to stay away from the big free agents. It seems every year we laugh at the Commanders when they sign the big free agents but at the start of free agency every one is wishing we sign 2-3 of them.

Most of these guys you are severely overpaying for guys who very rarely recapture their play from the previous season. I would look at veterans who you can get value on. We to get away from having a top end roster. And some of these top end guys are only top end in name and salary. We have to get away from thinking we are one guy away.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's never averaged below 4.0 YPC and averaged 4.5 and 5.1 his past two years, rushing for 8 touchdowns each year. He's also a young back who should have several prime years left, rather than being an older back whose legs could fall off at any time.

And 1 year of over 200 carries.

What he's proven is he's a nice rotational back in Miami. The Cowboys should be looking for their next bellcow. I have no idea why the fans around here all believe that guy is Miller.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I want to stay away from the big free agents. It seems every year we laugh at the Commanders when they sign the big free agents but at the start of free agency every one is wishing we sign 2-3 of them.

Most of these guys you are severely overpaying for guys who very rarely recapture their play from the previous season. I would look at veterans who you can get value on. We to get away from having a top end roster. And some of these top end guys are only top end in name and salary. We have to get away from thinking we are one guy away.

I read ya but I want Jerry to take a player at 4 who probably won't help on the field for at least a couple of seasons. I think having an active free agency where he feels he's really helped the team in 2016 increases the chances of him being comfortable in making that draft pick. So I'm hoping we go aggressive in FA this year.

Dwight

Reaction score
What? Our offense is in dire need of skill position talent. QB, RB, WR and TE. They all need upgrading.

Is there a talented TE in the draft that you feel would give Dallas an impact on offense?

gimmesix

Reaction score
Since we all know we will never have a huge free agent bounty like we had with the Ferguson/Henry/Rivera triple shot in 2005, I will settle with one.

I'm hopeful that after seeing this train wreck of a season, Jerry's ready to open up his wallet again.

Unlike some here, I have no problem with Jerry spending his money to fortify this team with quality free agents.

I think this year showed the bargain basement route isn't adequate without some studs.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Triplets as in a franchise QB, a bellcow RB and an alpha WR.

Is Lamar Miller a bellcow RB? I didn't see it in Miami.

I'd settle for s recievers opposite Dez and a Quartrback. Inthought McFadden was good enough to avoid a running back until the 4th or 5th round.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'm hopeful that after seeing this train wreck of a season, Jerry's ready to open up his wallet again.

Unlike some here, I have no problem with Jerry spending his money to fortify this team with quality free agents.

I think this year showed the bargain basement route isn't adequate without some studs.

Free agency spending isn't smart because you can get the same level of talent in the draft. Jerry has always spent and like most owners it's bit them. How free agency splashes do the Steelers have? The Pats? The Seahawks. And the Seahawks are funny because when they do go for it all like trade for Jimmy Graham or Percy Harvin they always fail. Gotta get better with draft picks and fill in the depth roles with free agents.

Wood

Reaction score
Not that I put alot into the 40, but a sub 4.4 would provide speed that this team lacks. He ha a few super long TD runs. That said, I dont want him at 3M per

and thats the issue. Price for Miller won't be cheap and there are bunch of really good RB in this draft. Dallas should gauge his interest at reasonable contract and chance to go to Super Bowl.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is there a talented TE in the draft that you feel would give Dallas an impact on offense?

Probably not. There are a couple of good receiving TEs who can't block yet.

The guy I want to watch at the Senior Bowl is Western Kentucky's Tyler Higbee.

gimmesix

Reaction score
And 1 year of over 200 carries.

What he's proven is he's a nice rotational back in Miami. The Cowboys should be looking for their next bellcow. I have no idea why the fans around here all believe that guy is Miller.

Well, I prefer Ivory, but if the price is right, I would be happy to have Miller in a rotation with McFadden for this year and then look for more competition when that rotation runs its course.

A much better option in my opinion than waiting until midway through the draft to add an RB or what we did last year in relying on a back who had proved little in Randle.

My concern is Dallas is so pleased with McFadden's play that it ignores the position again this year. I believe getting Miller would alleviate that concern.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Free agency spending isn't smart because you can get the same level of talent in the draft. Jerry has always spent and like most owners it's bit them. How free agency splashes do the Steelers have? The Pats? The Seahawks. And the Seahawks are funny because when they do go for it all like trade for Jimmy Graham or Percy Harvin they always fail. Gotta get better with draft picks and fill in the depth roles with free agents.

I don't agree that quality free agents always fail. I think you have to be smart about it, but you can really supplement your team with some top-notch free agents. It's just difficult to get them because teams usually franchise their indispensable pieces.

The main thing is don't pay age and shop wisely. We're not a team in need of middling depth. We're a team in need of an infusion of talent that can help this team be able to win more than one game without Romo.

I look very closely at the WR, RB, DT, vet DE and S markets to try to improve the quality of this team.

Aven8

Reaction score
This team needs a vet WR bad IMO. We can get a RB in the draft, but we need a solid vet at WR that can help guide the group. Plus take a couple more in the draft with speed.

Dwight

Reaction score
Probably not. There are a couple of good receiving TEs who can't block yet.

The guy I want to watch at the Senior Bowl is Western Kentucky's Tyler Higbee.

Speaking of Western Kentucky, I want Dallas to select his QB Brandon Doughty in one of the later rounds in the draft this year.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't agree that quality free agents always fail. I think you have to be smart about it, but you can really supplement your team with some top-notch free agents. It's just difficult to get them because teams usually franchise their indispensable pieces.

The main thing is don't pay age and shop wisely. We're not a team in need of middling depth. We're a team in need of an infusion of talent that can help this team be able to win more than one game without Romo.

I look very closely at the WR, RB, DT, vet DE and S markets to try to improve the quality of this team.

Well that's the thing. IMO, no team is going to let a solid player go. There's the rare instances where maybe a guy like Suh slips through the cracks and a Revis. But i'm not for the guy who balled out his contract year. I'm no for the second tier player who balled out his year.

Is Von Miller was to hit free agency he'd dominate on whatever team he lands on. I understand that. But you don't see many guys in free agency of that caliber. I use free agency to fill in spots. Like a McFadden. I don't look for future starters through it though or overapy.