FWST Blog: Jerry: Parcells wore teams down

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
bingo.

this needs to be added to a FAQ here for the Tuna haters and/or those who actually think Jerruh is a competent GM.

wileedog;2400188 said:
And you are misunderstanding my point.

I'm not 'pining' for Bill to have stayed, although I think we would have been 1000x better off if he was the GM of Dallas and not Miami right now. Nor am I saying that Parcells the Dallas version was a brilliant Xs and O's guy who consistently outthunk the guy with the headsets on the other side. He didn't.

And neither does Wade. Or Garret so far for that matter.

But Parcells brought all of the other intangibles that a HC needs to bring. He wisely reshaped the organization, set the ground rules down and enforced them. Problem players were quickly moved. lack of effort like the Jenkins mishap were not tolerated. If the team didn't have natural locker room leaders, yes some of the older "Parcell's Guys" were brought in to help provide that (why this was seen as a negative I never understood).

He wasn't perfect by any stretch, but Wade brings NOTHING to the table except supposed knowledge of the 3-4, and now his lack of discipline is threatening to undo a lot of the GOOD things that Parcells accomplished here.

That's the point. Not anything to do with playoff wins, which makes no sense to use as a measuring stick because it ignores everything Bill DID do for this franchise vs. everything Wade hasn't and wont.

CoCo

Reaction score
wileedog;2400188 said:
And you are misunderstanding my point.

I'm not 'pining' for Bill to have stayed, although I think we would have been 1000x better off if he was the GM of Dallas and not Miami right now. Nor am I saying that Parcells the Dallas version was a brilliant Xs and O's guy who consistently outthunk the guy with the headsets on the other side. He didn't.

And neither does Wade. Or Garret so far for that matter.

But Parcells brought all of the other intangibles that a HC needs to bring. He wisely reshaped the organization, set the ground rules down and enforced them. Problem players were quickly moved. lack of effort like the Jenkins mishap were not tolerated. If the team didn't have natural locker room leaders, yes some of the older "Parcell's Guys" were brought in to help provide that (why this was seen as a negative I never understood).

He wasn't perfect by any stretch, but Wade brings NOTHING to the table except supposed knowledge of the 3-4, and now his lack of discipline is threatening to undo a lot of the GOOD things that Parcells accomplished here.

That's the point. Not anything to do with playoff wins, which makes no sense to use as a measuring stick because it ignores everything Bill DID do for this franchise vs. everything Wade hasn't and wont.

Hope you have a great day! :)

khiladi

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2400385 said:
I can't believe that anyone thinks last year was Wade Phillips' doing

last year we had Tony Sparano on the offensive staff, along w/ Garrett, and all that talent, that's what drove our team, while our D just played prevent all year

Tony Sparano did nothing for this offensive line. The very same offensive line he was coaching got flat-out blasted by the Giants. Tony Sparano was the offensive line coach that suffered late last year and in the play-offs. It was the very same offensive line coached by Sparano that everybody was calling out with Drew Bledsoe in the pocket. Tony Romo made Sparano look semi-decent and Jason Garrett look like a genius. It doesn't take a genius to understand why our run blocking sucks way more than our pass blocking. The reason is because of Tony Romo's pocket presence. He can avoid the rush and sit back, making plays. It is no different now than it was when BP was here.

Also, our main weakness in this offensive line is Cory Proctor, who is a product of Bill Parcells and the type of lineman he likes. Bill Parcells didn't leave us with any great offensive lineman, and if it weren't for the fact that Jerry brought in Leonard Davis, we would be a hell of a lot worse offensively. Who would we have at right guard if Jerry didn't bring in Leonard Davis? Puh-lease.. You people are absurd.

What full-back did BP bring in, besides Oliver Hoyte, who was essentially a LB turned FB. The guy missed his blocks all the time as well. That was a great addition by BP to help the running game...

These problems we see today are the same problems that existed in the Parcells era.

They use to run the same vertical routes with TO in the offense when Sparano was offensive coordinator as they do now with Jason, but they used him way more often as a decoy. It was the same offense that got hosed by Detroit in December. This losing mentality wasn't created by Wade, it was here when BP was the coach. They faded in December, year in and year out with Parcells as coach.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
khiladi, the same problems exist on the line, w/o Sparano

Wade came into a great situation

burmafrd

Reaction score
Outside of the second half of the playoff game, the O line NEVER looked as bad as it has the last couple of games.
Kihladi you are trying to blame it all on Kosier not being there. Well what has the new regime done the last two years to bring in talent (outside of Bigg which was a good move).
AND COACHING.
Houck so far has been WORSE then Sparano.

khiladi

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2401065 said:
khiladi, the same problems exist on the line, w/o Sparano

Exactly...

The same problems existed before Wade got here. How can one pin-point him for our offensive line woes?

This is essentially BPs players. They showed the same tendencies in the BP era as they did in this era. They were coached more by Tony Sparano, then Hudson Houck.

khiladi

Reaction score
burmafrd;2401076 said:
Outside of the second half of the playoff game, the O line NEVER looked as bad as it has the last couple of games.
Kihladi you are trying to blame it all on Kosier not being there. Well what has the new regime done the last two years to bring in talent (outside of Bigg which was a good move).
AND COACHING.
Houck so far has been WORSE then Sparano.

Please... They looked like crap with Drew Bledsoe in the pocket. They were getting killed by the media and analysts. As soon as Romo came in, the spotlight went off of them because Tony Romo has pocket presence. The offensive line looked like crap last year in December. Mation Barber had how many yards against the Commanders in December?

Houck has a career that eclipses anything Tony Sparano has done. To even put Sparano in the category of Houck is a joke....

The problem with this offense is Jason Garrett. He doesn't allow any continuity for Houck to work with. Jason is the one who calls pass or run, and whether they are going to go deep or throw quick passes.

Who did Bill Parcells draft to back-up the lineman? Two of the starting OL'men aren't even from the BP era. They just went out and got Holland, because Proctor flat out sucks.

khiladi

Reaction score
What is funny is that the same Pacells homers often talk about how Parcells said that these players were dumb and prone to mistakes. Well who drafted these idiots then?

I guess he only builds talent when they want to boost his career up...

khiladi

Reaction score
Wade's era with the Cowboys has brought players like:

Martellus Bennett
Felix Jones
Anthony Spencer
Mike Jenkins
Orlando Scandrick
Leonard Davis
Roy Williams
Zach Thomas

All of these players are starting now nd play significant roles and have tremendous upside, with the exception of Zach Thomas, who they really brought as a leader of this defense. They are replacing players from the Parcells era.

The problem isn't Wade's eye for talent. Everybody saw the players he brought into San Diego and he was also the DC when the Eagles got reggie White and Clyde Simmons or Jerome Brown.

The problem with Wade is his butt is too soft and it reflects in his coaching. Wade needs to grow a pair of balls. He needs to stop with his read-and-react style which is similar to his predecessor Bill Parcells and his cover-2 all the time philosophy, because he is scared of the deep play crap.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
khiladi;2401094 said:
Exactly...

The same problems existed before Wade got here. How can one pin-point him for our offensive line woes?

This is essentially BPs players. They showed the same tendencies in the BP era as they did in this era. They were coached more by Tony Sparano, then Hudson Houck.

you got me mixed up w/ someone else, I'm not pinpointing any problems on Wade

in fact I don't think he's done anything during his tenure here

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
khiladi;2401131 said:
Wade's era with the Cowboys has brought players like:

Martellus Bennett
Felix Jones
Anthony Spencer
Mike Jenkins
Orlando Scandrick
Leonard Davis
Roy Williams
Zach Thomas

Wade didn't bring those players here, Jerry did

Jerry has said that all final decisions rest w/ him

khiladi

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2401145 said:
Wade didn't bring those players here, Jerry did

Jerry has said that all final decisions rest w/ him

So then the credit goes to Jerry when BP was here for the talent...

The point is, it is obvious that wade has input. Remember, Jerry signed Ratliff to an extension mid-season last year. nobody expected such a thing. That was preceded by all the gushing of Wade about this guy and how beastly he was. Every single PC, Wade was on his jock. It wouldn't have been done, if it weren't for wade.

Wade knows personnel. Dan Reeves said he was one of the best personnel guys he ever worked with. Just wait till Spencer really starts playing.

I just wish he would grow a pair or two. The guy avoids confrontation in general and it reflects in his coaching. It reflects in benching and not benching a player or coach. He is just a 'nice' guy that doesn't seem to want to hurt anybody's feelings. I mean the guy goes into a shell on 3rd and long, when he has a team backed up. He doesn't have the killer instinct, where he just tries to flat out kill the QB.

khiladi

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2401142 said:
you got me mixed up w/ someone else, I'm not pinpointing any problems on Wade

in fact I don't think he's done anything during his tenure here

My bad...

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
the only thing parcells wore down was my faith in my beloved team of 33 years.

switching to 3-4...i'll never forgive him for that ever.

bringing in his old washed up players like they would actually do something.

calling his team stupid.

on a side note...he did draft a few great players...gotta give him props for that.

but as a head coach...hell no.

he is better suited as a scout.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Hypnotoad;2399967 said:
Parcells had 4 years. His miss first round drafted players were Bobby Carpenter and Julius Jones. He never had a playoff win. The team would be horrible had it not been for stumbling into Tony Romo.

Wade has had 2 years and we have Anthony Spencer and Felix Jones. I think that's a huge improvement already since these players have produced better than their Parcells counterparts already.

People always want something else. Its really sad everyone is clamoring for Parcells now, when 2 seasons ago they were yelling at him for being too old and 'the game has passed him bye.'

Julius was a second rounder. And you can't say he started out like crap.

Spencer needs to beat out Ellis before I start saying he was a great first round draft pick. And Felix has to play more than a few games before we put him in the HOF.

And I am not liking the fact that he is already nursing a hammy in his rookie year.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
CoCo;2400147 said:
Nevermind the fact that he actually agreed with my point on Parcells as a HC in Dallas.

Beyond that he's speaking to issues that were never even a part of my post.

But yeah, I'm missing the facts. :rolleyes:

I was agreeing with you. But you know facts just get in the way here most of the time.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Brave heart said

You mean you don't want him using that measuring stick cause it hurts your theory about how great BP was here. Again what was his best year here with all the screaming, cutting, and being a hard *** with players? 10-6? First round playoff exit.

Exactly 1 year before Wade came here with essentially the same team (Davis and Hamlin added) Bill Parcels, and all his holding people accountable and being willing to be the bad guy equaled a 9-7 team and a first round play off exit.

So while he was here 4 years and gave us a lot more talent, which was awesome, he won less games in the regular season which seems to be the only thing you want mentioned cause the playoff record is the same pathetic 0-fer that Wade has.

The only difference is that Wade has been here a season and a half and BP was here for 4 years. While Wade's been here they (they being he and Jerry just like I'd say they for BP and Jerry since no HC here does anything without Jerry being on board with it) did add Davis, Hamlin, and Spencer, Orlando, Felix, and Jenkins. Not quite the same amount of talent as BP added, I'm sure, but again BP had 4 years to add talent to the team while Wade has had a season and a half.

So, again, please tell me where these guys were so much more mentally tough, so much more disiplined, so much more focused while BP was here with his iron fist than coach cupcake?

They still went on December slides under BP, just like they did last year with Wade, and they still didn't get out of their first playoff game with BP, just like they didn't get out of theirs with Wade.

The only other measurable that is accurate would be regular season record and in his one full season as HC Phillips had a better record than BP did.

This is what makes me smile the biggest about all these people who think that iron fisted, screaming, take control kind of guys are some how going to magically change things. BP was that kind of guy and when he was here, with many of these exact same players, they still had the same penalties, mental errors, and late season slumps that they've had under Wade so I'm not sure exactly what all the screaming, cutting, threatening, and being a hard *** actually accomplished in terms of wins.

But I guess it sure did make BP a lot more funny and cool to listen to in press conferances.

What you failed to mention is the roster Parcells inherited and how he had to spend time convincing GM Jones to make changes. No one seems to remember those facts. No one was going to turn this cesspool around quickly.

It takes time to truly BUILD a team. Phillips and Jones had a great base to work with. Their record from the end of last year to now is terrible. So I guess you can tear a team apart way faster than you can build one.

Jones does that best.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Wade went from 13-3 now to probably 11-5 at best, more likely 10-6.
Any way you look at it things are getting WORSE.

CoCo

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2402334 said:
I was agreeing with you. But you know facts just get in the way here most of the time.

My apologies. :eek::