FWST Blog: To Test Devin Hester or Not Devin Hester? ST Coach Read speaks

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To Test Devin Hester or Not Devin Hester?

Facing Bears returner Devin Hester has been likened to pitching to Barry Bonds when he was in his prime: Do you even bother?

When the odds and statistics suggest Hester is going to do some damage, do you try to muscle up and prove can be one of the few to stop him?

"Oh, I think yeah," Cowboys special teams coach Bruce Read said.

That doesn't mean the Cowboys will kick to Hester. It means Read is like anybody else - you want to try to see if you can.

"All of this is fun. It's scary stuff and our guys have been fantastic," Read said. "It's been a great challenge. Hester is different because of his numbers and what he's done. He can take a game over on his own. So we have to do all we can to prevent him from scoring points and getting good field position."

The last time the NFL saw a returner this explosive was Dante Hall when he was in his prime with the Chiefs; in '04, he returned two punts and two kicks for touchdowns. He also returned one in the postseason for a score.

"I was at San Diego when he was with the Chiefs, and we covered him before he was 'Dante Hall' and I was saying this guy is really good," Read said. "They were like, 'We don't know who he is.' At least these guys know who (Hester) is."

- Mac Engel

Posted at 01:57 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
The only chance we have is if we kick it extremely high on kick offs, and hustle our butts down there just as he's catching it.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cricket can't wait to hit Hester

LOUIS DeLUCA / DMN
Rookie FB Deon "Cricket" Anderson didn't sleep last night, staying up to study film to make sure he knows what he's doing if he has to start.

FB Oliver Hoyte aggravated a pinched nerve, which he originally suffered during the preseason, in last week's game. Hoyte said he would be a gametime decision.

Cricket is going to great lengths to make sure he's prepared to play fullback, but he said he's not sweating the possibility that he'll start. He's more fired up about getting a shot at Devin Hester.

"I don't even care as long as I'm on kickoff coverage and get to hit Hester," Cricket said. "That's what I live for."

Cricket said he feels like the linebacker from the cinematic classic The Program that drilled a dude and screamed something like, "I've been looking for you my whole life!"
Posted by Tim MacMahon at 1:43 PM (E-mail this entry) | Comments (5)

SupermanXx

Benched
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1659615 said:
I sure hope he wraps him up........cause he will not catch him

o_rly.jpg
http://www.farfromneutral.com/exodus/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/o_rly.jpg