FWST Blog: Wade says Ellis remains starter

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AsthmaField;2407155 said:
Let me ask you this: Would you rather have Spencer play the first play of the game and then Ellis get 80% of the defensive snaps or would you rather Ellis play the first play and then Spencer get 80% of the defensive snaps?

I'd rather have Spencer get 80% of the snaps - including the first one!

What would be the rational reason not to have the guy who's playing the majority of the snaps start?

The only reason that comes to mind is one - hurt feelings.

And that sure isn't rational.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
stasheroo;2407202 said:
I'd rather have Spencer get 80% of the snaps - including the first one!

What would be the rational reason not to have the guy who's playing the majority of the snaps start?

The only reason that comes to mind is one - hurt feelings.

And that sure isn't rational.

If Greg Ellis plays the first play of the game, and then comes out and Spencer plays the other 60 snaps, are you ok with that?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BigDFan5;2407211 said:
If Greg Ellis plays the first play of the game, and then comes out and Spencer plays the other 60 snaps, are you ok with that?

Not at all.

I'm asking you, if Spencer is the better player and getting the majority of the snaps, why is it necessary for Greg Ellis to play that first snap?

Can you give me some examples of other situations where a player ceremoniously takes the field with the starting unit and then a better player goes the rest of the way?

Maybe I'd feel better about this situation then.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
stasheroo;2407222 said:
Not at all.

I'm asking you, if Spencer is the better player and getting the majority of the snaps, why is it necessary for Greg Ellis to play that first snap?

Can you give me some examples of other situations where a player ceremoniously takes the field with the starting unit and then a better player goes the rest of the way?

Maybe I'd feel better about this situation then.

As I said you are more interested in the titles of the players than anything else. You act as if you are concerned that the best player should play but thats not the case. Your concern is more a need to bash Phillips

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
WHAT I WOULD RATHER HAVE IS THE BEST PLAYER OR AT LEAST THE ONE ONE IS TRYING THE HARDEST ON THE FIELD. Sorry had to say that rather loud. But quit trying to protect everyones feelings and get some one who wants to earn his pay check on the field

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BigDFan5;2407271 said:
As I said you are more interested in the titles of the players than anything else. You act as if you are concerned that the best player should play but thats not the case. Your concern is more a need to bash Phillips

Hardly.

Phillips and Greg Ellis are apparently the guys hung up on titles.

Everywhere else in the league, the guy who plays more starts.

But not in Dallas.

Another case where dysfunction is the norm around here.

And as I suspected, there's no example of it happening anywhere else because nonsense like this only happens under "Mr Nice Guy"'s watch.

But yeah, it's just me.

Picking on poor Wade.

Hope I don't make him cry...

:cry2:

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
BigDFan5;2407271 said:
Bingo...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;2407312 said:

Yeah, I'm the bad guy.

Dallas is the only place in the league where the guy who plays the majority of the snaps isn't the starter.

But I'm the bad guy for pointing it out.

Gotcha.

It's yet another glaring example of the dysfunction running rampant on this team.

And yet another reason why they don't win.

Keep sticking up for Wade.

Right until the season ends and he gets fired.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Terence Newman700;2405598 said:
that makes no sense.....if hes playing on first and second how is ellis a starter?.....does he mean just the title?

i hate wade....its obvious ellis is a cancer, to the D, not just with his mouth but with his play along with Henry, and he only cares about feelings then winning...cant wait to hear the day hes fired

it might make sense for spencer to be healthy more than 1 week in a row before promoting him. the longer spencer stays the healthy the higher percentage of snaps he'll get.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
stasheroo;2407323 said:
Yeah, I'm the bad guy.

Dallas is the only place in the league where the guy who plays the majority of the snaps isn't the starter.

Gotcha.

It's yet another glaring example of the dysfunction running rampant on this team.

You're not the bad guy... I'll leave that designation for Commander fans. However, you are over reacting (IMO) about little more than semantics. That's your business but personally, I don't care who is called what as long as Spencer plays a lot more than Ellis.

Perhaps Ellis will be more effective with a lot more rest.

I do understand that you are saying Phillips is a wuss and should just call the best player the starter... and I don't disagree with you. However, it doesn't upset me in any way if he doesn't do that because... well, it just doesn't matter to me.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AsthmaField;2407497 said:
You're not the bad guy... I'll leave that designation for Commander fans. However, you are over reacting (IMO) about little more than semantics. That's your business but personally, I don't care who is called what as long as Spencer plays a lot more than Ellis.

Perhaps Ellis will be more effective with a lot more rest.

I do understand that you are saying Phillips is a wuss and should just call the best player the starter... and I don't disagree with you. However, it doesn't upset me in any way if he doesn't do that because... well, it just doesn't matter to me.

Maybe it's a personal thing then.

It does bother me - a lot.

I think it sends a bad message to not only Spencer - who deserves to start and isn't getting a chance to - but to the other hungry players on the team.

It seems to send a message of no matter how hard you work, the guy who's been here is the starter.

And no matter how badly the starter plays, he stays the starter.

I think it impedes both motivation and accountability.

And if you're going to use Spencer's recent injuries against him, you may as well bench Newman and Henry while you're at it.

Nobody gets hurt like Henry does. The guy's the Master of Injury!

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
stasheroo;2407504 said:
Maybe it's a personal thing then.

It does bother me - a lot.

I think it sends a bad message to not only Spencer - who deserves to start and isn't getting a chance to - but to the other hungry players on the team.

It seems to send a message of no matter how hard you work, the guy who's been here is the starter.

And no matter how badly the starter plays, he stays the starter.

I think it impedes both motivation and accountability.

And if you're going to use Spencer's recent injuries against him, you may as well bench Newman and Henry while you're at it.

Nobody gets hurt like Henry does. The guy's the Master of Injury!

I understand. I think the young players though, will see that Spencer has earned extended playing time by performing well when he's been in the games. That's what they all want. Time to get out on the field and show the world what they can do.

Would they like to be called starter? Probably... but I think the playing time is the most important thing.

I do see what you're saying, but I'm not ready to skewer Phillips for something that is that small (in my eyes). There are other things that I AM about ready to skewer him for though.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
BigDFan5;2407271 said:

it's not like he's making up reasons to bash Phillips

this is a pretty legitimate one, the guy is too worried about feelings

if a veteran sucks, he loses playing time, end of story, no need to smooth the situation over like Wade is apparently trying to do

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
stasheroo;2406812 said:
So if it doesn't matter, what's the harm in having Spencer start?

Because it doesn't matter. Very, very basic conceptual skill concerning this one.
stasheroo;2406812 said:
Since he's going to play more snaps anyway, why not the first one?

Which one of my kids gets to the toothpaste first..............Who's idea was it.............the chicken or the egg...........who farted..........Good Lord.

stasheroo;2406812 said:

Yes you are. And that concern's me with such a trivial matter and all. Only child syndrome.

stasheroo;2406812 said:
This should be good...

:rolleyes:

You're asking me to make something good out of horsecrap. I don't think you'll like it................... "rollseyes"

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2407585 said:
it's not like he's making up reasons to bash Phillips

this is a pretty legitimate one, the guy is too worried about feelings

if a veteran sucks, he loses playing time, end of story, no need to smooth the situation over like Wade is apparently trying to do

Yes loses playing time

Yet stash has said he didnt care if Ellis lost every single snap but one

See stash would be ok if Spencer started and played 45 snaps and Ellis played 15

But he isnt ok With Ellis playing 1 play and Spencer getting 59.

He is just looking to bash, you used to be able to recognize things like this bob. Surprised I had to explain it

Disturbed

A Mere Flesh Wound
Reaction score
stasheroo;2407323 said:
Yeah, I'm the bad guy.

Gotcha.

I agree with you. Is this because we hire very old coaches set in their ways? I think Johnson was the only coach who played the best player and didn't care about "feelings".

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seven;2407638 said:
Because it doesn't matter. Very, very basic conceptual skill concerning this one.

So 'basic', you still don't get it.

Ask Anthony Spencer if it 'doesn't matter'.

And the next time you're passed over for a promotion at work, just tell yourself 'it doesn't matter'.

Seven said:
Which one of my kids gets to the toothpaste first..............Who's idea was it.............the chicken or the egg...........who farted..........Good Lord.

Promotion and incentive for doing well? No promotion, status quo?

I know which one looks better to me.

Seven said:
Yes you are. And that concern's me with such a trivial matter and all. Only child syndrome.

More like competition and incentive vs none.

Seven said:
You're asking me to make something good out of horsecrap. I don't think you'll like it................... "rollseyes"

Yeah, like I figured...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BigDFan5;2407639 said:
Yes loses playing time

Yet stash has said he didnt care if Ellis lost every single snap but one

See stash would be ok if Spencer started and played 45 snaps and Ellis played 15

But he isnt ok With Ellis playing 1 play and Spencer getting 59.

He is just looking to bash, you used to be able to recognize things like this bob. Surprised I had to explain it

Only in Dallas does the better player not start.

And the excuse-makers gloss over it as 'no big deal'.

Ask Spencer if it's 'no big deal'.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
stasheroo;2407966 said:
So 'basic', you still don't get it.

Ask Anthony Spencer if it 'doesn't matter'.

And the next time you're passed over for a promotion at work, just tell yourself 'it doesn't matter'.

I love how kids alwasys fall back on my job. It's got everything to do with an athlete starting 1 game. Oh and when I see Anthony, I'll be sure to ask him.

Should I do that before the autograph question?

stasheroo;2407966 said:
Promotion and incentive for doing well? No promotion, status quo?

I know which one looks better to me.

Quid pro quo. I think Wade knows just a smidge more than you. Forgot that with all the holier than now agenda driven splooge over a 1 game "start".

stasheroo;2407966 said:
More like competition and incentive vs none.

Psssst. ONE play.

stasheroo;2407966 said:
Yeah, like I figured...

Like your going to convince me you CAN figure. Yeah. Right.

You have nothing. NOTHING. Except for the job comparison thingy. Which I still can't figure into the equation.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Started Bollinger in the 2nd half vs the entire game and allowing Ellis to play 3rd downs, well we need Spencer on 3rd downs as well.

Go out strong Wade, don't go out like this.