FWST: Team source says Garrett likely choice

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
... after the Rooney Rule interview, of course.

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2011/01/01/1795930/team-source-says-garrett-likely.html

Team source says Garrett likely choice to lead Cowboys

By CLARENCE E. HILL JR.
McClatchy Newspapers

IRVING, Texas - Jason Garrett will more than likely be named the Dallas Cowboys head coach, according to a high-ranking team source.

It can't happen now because the Cowboys must adhere to the "Rooney Rule" and interview at least one minority candidates.

(much more at link)

-----------------

Not posted on the FWST site yet ...

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
He performed well in his tryout. He deserves the shot.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Is the media just starting to figure out what most of us already knew?

SSGMIKE

Reaction score
Really? Going 4-4 and struggle against 2 of the worst team in the league in the Cards and Skins..... Not sure he the answer, but Jerry probably make another right choice again with Garrett.... He need somebody for a puppet anyway......

Until the GM is change then the Boys can take the next step to the Super Bowl.....

theogt;3773628 said:
He performed well in his tryout. He deserves the shot.

Anjinsan

Benched
Reaction score
Garrett's really been impressive since he's taken over. Extremely smart with a lifelong history in football. He's got all the tools to be a head coach for a long long time.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
SSGMIKE;3773637 said:
Really? Going 4-4 and struggle against 2 of the worst team in the league in the Cards and Skins..... Not sure he the answer, but Jerry probably make another right choice again with Garrett.... He need somebody for a puppet anyway......

Until the GM is change then the Boys can take the next step to the Super Bowl.....

It's Romo's fault...

:cool:

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
SDogo;3773633 said:
Is the media just starting to figure out what most of us already knew?

Speculation is different from a "high-ranking team source" saying it.

The media has been speculating along with "most of us" for weeks, but this is the first time that the speculation has been confirmed by a source within the organization.

Mansta54

Reaction score
Already I'm so excited for a physical, focused, disciplined, hard working TC under JG. I truely believe this team was never in good physical football shape all year and that hurts your play mentally as well. Finally, a real Jimmy Johnson type TC is coming. These players better be ready. Our football team will be ready to roll and physically and mentally prepared next year. That excites me!!!

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
AdamJT13;3773643 said:
Speculation is different from a "high-ranking team source" saying it.

The media has been speculating along with "most of us" for weeks, but this is the first time that the speculation has been confirmed by a source within the organization.

Good news if true.

:star: :starspin :star: :starspin :star:

Bizwah

Reaction score
SSGMIKE;3773637 said:

We also had good games against two of the better teams in the NFL (Saints and Eagles).

We started the season off terribly....if you remember the Green Bay game, the team was basically done. Garrett has resurrected team morale. He's done it without one of the better QBs in the NFL and Dez Bryant.

The defense has let us down. But I don't blame Garrett too much for that. He really had nothing to do with the defense until week 8.

I think this is the best possible choice for us. Garrett is a rising star as a coach. I like this so much more than recycling old coaches.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Mansta54;3773644 said:
Already I'm so excited for a physical, focused, disciplined, hard working TC under JG. I truely believe this team was never in good physical football shape all year and that hurts your play mentally as well. Finally, a real Jimmy Johnson type TC is coming. These players better be ready. Our football team will be ready to roll and physically and mentally prepared next year. That excites me!!!

It's a new year, fool. ;)

I hear you...

Mansta54

Reaction score
Bizwah;3773651 said:
We also had good games against two of the better teams in the NFL (Saints and Eagles).

We started the season off terribly....if you remember the Green Bay game, the team was basically done. Garrett has resurrected team morale. He's done it without one of the better QBs in the NFL and Dez Bryant.

The defense has let us down. But I don't blame Garrett too much for that. He really had nothing to do with the defense until week 8.

I think this is the best possible choice for us. Garrett is a rising star as a coach. I like this so much more than recycling old coaches.

Dead on point!!!!

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
SSGMIKE;3773637 said:

REally? Didn't know worst teams could beat teams in playoff contention like Jags? So what does that say about Eagles being beaten at home by Vikings by Rookie QB, with a chance to clinch playoff bye? Andy Reid is one mediocre coach who lasted this long I guess..

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
SSGMIKE;3773637 said:

I don't think Jerry was looking for Garrett to take a team that had struggled to 1-7 and turn it into a team that was blowing past even the "easiest" of opponents. He wanted tangible results, and has gotten them.

Progress was all that was needed, and progress was shown. I think pretty much any GM would have made a similar decision based on that.

Not saying it will necessarily turn out well, only that the move is sound based on how Dallas has done under Garrett compared to what the Cowboys were doing before he became head coach.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
True or false I am already sick of the way the conversations are going about it here.

I think he is coming back without question and the big excitement is going to be who goes on the roster and the staff and who they are replaced with.

I just really have a feeling come monday morning its going to suck because it will be all rumors and guessing for 3 months about everything.

Draft should be awesome though.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
If it is "business as usual" in the GM and personnel department, then I'm concerned about personnel decisions.

Valley Ranch needs a thorough cleaning out, imo.

Again, I agree with Mike Lombardi. It isn't Jason Garrett's coaching that is costing Dallas games, it's poor self scouting and personnel evaluation, including that great 2009 draft, Roy E. Williams, Marion Barber, Marc Colombo, ect...The stuff I'm starting hear about Newman and Holland...

I'm less concerned with Garrett's coaching than I am with that personnel outfit, and that is why Fisher is an appealing guy. I know his DB coach really likes Newman, and Fisher would keep Newman in Dallas, imso. Plus, Fisher's offensive line coach is among the best in the NFL.