Gaethers re-signs with the Colts

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
Not going to lose sleep over a box safety. He's great in run support and injury prone.

We need a ballhawk.

Sydla

Reaction score
Down to Iloka, Boston and Berry for any upgrade potential.

And they passed on Boston and Iloka last year so they are probably non starters.

So basically it's Berry or hoping a mid-round draft pick can start for us if you want an upgrade on Heath.

Hailmary

Reaction score
.....and with our third round pick, the Dallas Cowboys select ____________________ (insert safety's name here).

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As expected. The Colts let him find his market and then he came back and they took a tiny portion of their huge stack of cap cash and got a deal done.

Good business.

Carson

Reaction score
Down to Iloka, Boston and Berry for any upgrade potential.

And they passed on Boston and Iloka last year so they are probably non starters.

So basically it's Berry or hoping a mid-round draft pick can start for us if you want an upgrade on Heath.

Iloka is visiting the Raiders today. His old DC is there so he could sign

Sydla

Reaction score
We are rolling with what we have. And maybe a draft pick.

Their belief in Heath is amazing. Football Outsiders had this to say:

Jeff Heath can not tackle. We noted last year in this space that Heath had more missed tackles (11) than defeats (six). The problem got worse in 2018, as Heath's 22 broken tackles were the second-most allowed in the league. Heath just isn't a starting-caliber strong safety; he's a quality special teams player who has been promoted beyond his skill set. Bringing in a new safety -- either strong or free, as Woods would do just fine moving into the strong safety position -- would help a defense that ranked 19th or worse when covering tight ends, running backs, or third wideouts.

I really thought Richard would come in here and shake things up in the secondary with some new pieces but it seems he's either on board with guys like Heath or has no voice to bring change.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
agree. I think that happens a lot to Dallas. We get used as a negotiating tool.

Most likely, the Colts told him they would like to have him back so if he received an offer give them a chance to match it or better it. Teams often let other teams set the bar, especially on players they know would return all things being equal.

Of course, Dallas lets other teams set the bar for their players and then says, "We're not matching that!"

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
3 weeks ago looking at the FA S list, I was 100% positive that one of the top 5 on that list would be wearing a Cowboys uniform and here we are 3 weeks later and Jeff Heath is still the starting S for the Cowboys.
iu