Garrett called players out in meeting for Screw-Ups

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
From Dez: "“I really don’t have that much room to talk. Everybody has their own little deal with how they handle things,” Dez said. “I’m not saying Lucky didn’t respect Coach Garrett’s demands. I think he tried to fulfill Coach Garrett’s needs as much as he possibly could, but you’ve got to understand the bigger picture. This team is bigger than one person and you’ve got to have yourself in check. You’ve got to have your priorities in check. Coach Garrett is a well-respected guy in this locker room. It’s not for the media to say. We love the way Coach Garrett goes about his business and we respect that. That’s why we want to play for him and why we want to win for him.”

Players said the same thing about Wade ........ many even followed him to Denver first chance they got.

And they won a Ring.

The owners the problem because he is the one who decides final punishment.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Any guesses on who the 7 were?

And I wonder how this information leaked to the media

Do you have to ask? Garrett asked this to be leaked. To show how much he is "on top of things". He's a joke. He should be called out on his hypocrisy and terrible coaching all these years.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Players said the same thing about Wade ........ many even followed him to Denver first chance they got.

And they won a Ring.

The owners the problem because he is the one who decides final punishment.

and why take a cap hit on some players when you don't have to? NFL hands down punishment and the players pay is suspended the roster spot becomes open. In Lucky case he cost the Cowboys little to nothing in releasing him. What the league may do now is up to them

JBS

Reaction score
We should cut Zeke, Irving, Carroll, Wilson, Dez, and the rest of them

That will make us a better team all right!

Reactions: CWR

Sydla

Reaction score
This is what happens when your coach and owner try to be your friends. There really is no sense of discipline here in terms of players having to worry about their jobs, etc.

When the notion is the worst thing that can happen to you is a small team fine or a stern talking to, it's not going to dissuade guys from staying out of trouble.

Oh they might eventually cut a guy after multiple transgressions but typically its going to be a roster fodder guy like Lucky.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
This just in.....Cowboys Head Coach Jason Garrett is doing what a every head coach in the NFL is supposed to do. Non-story.
But apparently it is a story that for some reason Fisher etc. were compelled to prop up. He's taking names and cracking skulls. The timing is amusing as it comes at a time when the team seems very undisciplined. But not so fast, he is getting onto them behind closed doors!

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Do you have to ask? Garrett asked this to be leaked. To show how much he is "on top of things". He's a joke. He should be called out on his hypocrisy and terrible coaching all these years.
Really doubt that. Garrett is notorious for being tight lipped to the media. Why would he want that to get out? I'm not seeing the angle there.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Really doubt that. Garrett is notorious for being tight lipped to the media. Why would he want that to get out? I'm not seeing the angle there.
Letting it get out that he is actually got onto a bunch of players would be a great angle to float when it is very evident on the surface that you have a team out of control.

I don't buy that Garrett did this, but rather he has supporters like Fisher who probably find it fun to serve their own beliefs and float this at a time where PR is at a premium and "good news" is needed.

John813

Reaction score
This is what happens when your coach and owner try to be your friends. There really is no sense of discipline here in terms of players having to worry about their jobs, etc.

When the notion is the worst thing that can happen to you is a small team fine or a stern talking to, it's not going to dissuade guys from staying out of trouble.

Oh they might eventually cut a guy after multiple transgressions but typically its going to be a roster fodder guy like Lucky.

Yea, because the Cowboys lead the league in arrests, because the players know they can get away with anything.
Some players have more security than others when it comes to their job. Either they are a star, signed a new contract(cap implications), little depth at their position or they have a decent role on the team. Others, like Lucky, are bubble players and are easily replaceable. There are limits what teams can do to punish players. Do you want them to cut everyone? Teach them a lesson while making the team worse off.

I doubt Wilson wouldn't of acted like a fool if he played for another team. You think he thought he would of been ok with Jerry, but not with the 31 other owners, when he pulled out his AR-15? He would of done that regardless of which team he played for. He's an idiot. Fortunately for him, his position lacks experienced depth on the team, and he is/was expected to have a role on the team. It may cost him when it comes to when his contract expires and the offers aren't there. Carroll, sadly, did what a lot of people do, drive under the influence, and got caught. Even though the team offers rides for players, he made a bonehead decision and got caught. I mean, you think he thought, "Jerry and Jason won't care if I drink and drive/they lax **", ?
No, more than likely he probably has done that in the past but happened to get pulled over this time.

NFL players are human, and some humans are idiots/lack common sense.
It happens on almost every roster over a stretch of time. Either the player goes back to his troubled past, caught up in the nightlife/drugs, or just is mentally off.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yea, because the Cowboys lead the league in arrests, because the players know they can get away with anything.
Some players have more security than others when it comes to their job. Either they are a star, signed a new contract(cap implications), little depth at their position or they have a decent role on the team. Others, like Lucky, are bubble players and are easily replaceable. There are limits what teams can do to punish players. Do you want them to cut everyone? Teach them a lesson while making the team worse off.

I doubt Wilson wouldn't of acted like a fool if he played for another team. You think he thought he would of been ok with Jerry, but not with the 31 other owners, when he pulled out his AR-15? He would of done that regardless of which team he played for. He's an idiot. Fortunately for him, his position lacks experienced depth on the team, and he is/was expected to have a role on the team. It may cost him when it comes to when his contract expires and the offers aren't there. Carroll, sadly, did what a lot of people do, drive under the influence, and got caught. Even though the team offers rides for players, he made a bonehead decision and got caught. I mean, you think he thought, "Jerry and Jason won't care if I drink and drive/they lax **", ?
No, more than likely he probably has done that in the past but happened to get pulled over this time.

NFL players are human, and some humans are idiots/lack common sense.
It happens on almost every roster over a stretch of time. Either the player goes back to his troubled past, caught up in the nightlife/drugs, or just is mentally off.

Yes, I believe players are more likely to do dumb things in a more lax atmosphere.

John813

Reaction score
Yes, I believe players are more likely to do dumb things in a more lax atmosphere.

I can respect that POV. Just when I look around the league, multiple players for multiple organizations find themselves in trouble either with suspensions due to failed tests or are getting arrested. Over a course of a few years, a lot of teams find themselves dealing with a player in trouble in one way or another.

This year was a bad year for the Cowboys in terms of offseason issues in regards to players conduct. But, I believe it to be an outlier.

CWR

Reaction score
Maybe TWill instead of Gregory.

Not a big deal but I saw his name mentioned on NFLN yesterday and I was curious so I googled it. He was involved in a shirtless foot race outside of a strip club in the early morning a week or two ago. As I said----not a big deal but maybe not the image you want your players to portray.

True, Im just glad he won lol.

CWR

Reaction score
People are just unrealistic. The bottom line is if you are a fringe player you damn well better behave off the field or you will be cut. If you are a stud you get alot more rope. Every other team does it the same way. Always have....

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Letting it get out that he is actually got onto a bunch of players would be a great angle to float when it is very evident on the surface that you have a team out of control.

I don't buy that Garrett did this, but rather he has supporters like Fisher who probably find it fun to serve their own beliefs and float this at a time where PR is at a premium and "good news" is needed.

So you think Fisher is lying and David Irving is swearing to it?

http://scout.com/nfl/cowboys/Articl...ehead-As-Tells-CowboysHQcom-It-Wasn-105434794

I don't buy that. If Fisher was simply making it up and then quoting Irving on top of it, I don't think Irving would simply let him get away with it.