News: Garrett chimes in on Dez's involvement in the offense

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
I like Garrett but don't like that statement. He needs to be creative in getting one of your best players the ball.

Sydla

Reaction score

So it was a great game yesterday by Garrett?

As I've said in the past, I really am curious as to where the breaking point will be for some of you guys with regards to Garrett. Seems all of last year and now starting this year, it's nothing but excuses and roses for Garrett.

Craig

Reaction score
The coach doesnt tell the qb who to throw the ball to. Bryant lined up all over the field. Dak threw to the guys that were open and made safer throws when he was trying to go to dez. Overthrew down the sideline erring on an overthrow rather than a pick on an underthrow. Fade on the drop everyone for some reason thinks was a catch.

chicago JK

Reaction score
I don't buy the notion that Dez can't play multiple spots or doesn't run good routes. My god, that is what coaching is for! Heck tell him, we want to get you the ball more but we need you to be able to line up in different spots and run crisp routes and right now you are not good enough for this. Tell him The upside is Antonio Brown targets. Be on his butt every day in practice, all the time, making sure he is perfecting his craft. If he falls short, let him know. Maybe this happens, but I doubt it.

waving monkey

Reaction score
So it was a great game yesterday by Garrett?

As I've said in the past, I really am curious as to where the breaking point will be for some of you guys with regards to Garrett. Seems all of last year and now starting this year, it's nothing but excuses and roses for Garrett.

that was a little tongue in check but I see growth you see failure and I am thoroughly through with pointing out what appears as the obvious
and others have the opposite view. It's just life like democrats vs republicans. There is no accounting for it.

I wish we could divide the board like the pundits.com have done. I think its a great idea but I think people just want to blow steam.

Sydla

Reaction score
that was a little tongue in check but I see growth you see failure and I am thoroughly through with pointing out what appears as the obvious and others have the opposite view. It's just life like democrats vs republicans. There is no accounting for it.

I wish we could divide the board like the pundits.com have done. I think its a great idea but I think people just want to blow steam.

Honestly, where do you see growth in this coaching staff?

I see stagnation.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
**** seriously **** and how about we get another real coach, last one we had was Parcells

Well, to be fair, I saw a Parcells-coached team get their pants coached off by Sean Payton and Co. But Parcells established the right culture, that's for darn sure. I promise you, Williams ain't running up the field on that final play if Parcells was here.

ErikWilliamsHeadSlap

Reaction score
Garrett just makes me sad. It almost hurts to watch and listen to the same old same old. He simply lacks imagination and lacks balls. He is not worthy of his position. He is a quality control level coach and that is it. But we all know he will fall back on his Romo was hurt excuse. And failing that he will replace Maranelli to save his own ***. And Jerry will lap it all up. He seems like such a good man. The players seem to love him and fight for him. But he is not a winner. Any winning we do is in spite of him, not because of him. You cannot play to not lose. You have to play to win...at all costs.

khiladi

Reaction score
The one constant has been Garrett. And if he's not building the game plans he's still responsible for them. He's the head coach. If he has an issue with Linehan and how he is using Bryant he can simply walk down to his office and tell him what he wants.

Equally strange is this idea that it's too difficult to move Bryant around. That he has to play outside all the time. Somehow, some way Atlanta moves Jones around. AJ Green plays out of the slot from time to time too.

My complaining about Garrett is offset by your constant excuse making for him.

Garrett got Linehan here, because Garrett didn't want to change the playbook with Callahan...

Jerry kept the playbook to keep Garrett relevant, while thinking he could get more out of Linehan calling plays from that same garbage playbook.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Has Garrett ever once taken the blame for anything? Has he ever said "I need to do better as a coach" beyond generic statements like "We all need to do our jobs" or something along those lines? I hear a lot of other coaches, every Sunday, putting the onus on themselves after a lackluster performance.

no he has not, even when he froze his own kicker

khiladi

Reaction score
Dak had 45 pass attempts and 26 of those throws were targeted between just two players....Jason Witten and Cole Beasley.

Unfortunately, most of our brainiac fanbase can't make out what was happening in terms of the Giants not wanting to be beaten by the WRs on the outside (Dez and T-Will combined for just 9 total targets) which resulted in Witten and Beasley seeing a ton of clean looks on underneath routes which is what Dak, a rookie QB, chose to attack. Whether folks like it or not, that's exactly what Garrett was talking about "taking what they gave us."

Instead, immediately post-game on the board we get all the usual ignorant posters spouting off about Dez being a bum, stealing money from the Cowboys, not being an elite WR anymore... One of the worst overreactions and mindless blathering I've ever witnessed.

You mean they use Dez only on go and sideline routes? What exactly do you think everybody is complaining about? What does a slant or putting Dez in motion and running some drag routes on him entail if they took the 'outside'?

khiladi

Reaction score
This .500 mentality with Garrett needs to end... He's not even a .500 coach... Romo with Garrett makes Garrett a .500 coach... Garrett without Romo is 1-15 HC and would be 0-16 if Desean Jackson didn't run backwards in his own Garrett moment on the punt return...

khiladi

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...b-dak-prescott-exemplifies-poise-in-nfl-debut

"Prescott deserves even more credit for his poise because he also didn't have the running game theCowboys were expected to provide. The Giants successfully contained rookie running back Ezekiel Elliott (who gained 51 yards on 20 carries), largely because they had an effective strategy that allowed them to crowd the line of scrimmage and provide deep help to control Bryant. Garrett said New York accomplished this by playing a lot of two-deep coverage and then blitzing safeties to disrupt the run game. It's the kind of tactic teams can use when facing a first-time starter."

Don't tell that to the brainiacs on this board. Dez simply isn't an elite receiver....so they say.

You mean like DEFENSES ALWAYS DO AGAINST Dallas... They even do that with Romo...

erod

Reaction score
This thread is silly.

Do people honestly not consider that Garrett was working with a rookie QB in his first game?

They scored 27 points if Beasley and Dez didn't drop touchdowns.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This thread is silly.

Do people honestly not consider that Garrett was working with a rookie QB in his first game?

They need to listen to the actual presser instead of reacting to the paraphrasing.

And, apparently, they also probably ought to look closer at what the team actually does with Dez in the first place before they decide he doesn't get moved around.

Sydla

Reaction score
This thread is silly.

Do you realize that it also wasn't the first game Garrett ever coached?

The problems we saw on Sunday weren't just a one time thing.

Please tell me you aren't one of these guys that thinks Garrett is a really good coach.