News: Garrett chimes in on Dez's involvement in the offense

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Garrett is a big Sabban fan. I would like to see him take charge like Nick does.

Garrettop

Reaction score
I think people misunderstand "imposing your will". The Cowboys do try to "impose their will". The problem is going purely off of "imposing your will" means no tricks, no movement, etc., and sometimes your will isn't enough. Especially if it's Will(iams).

plymkr

Reaction score
That one I totally agree with. The TE screens I don't understand. Not sure I want them going to Dez, instead, but Elliott or Lucky or Dunbar I could get behind.
dude that's an easy one. Simply because a screen pass to Dez, Elliot, Lucky or Dunbar has a chance of working. It's the same "process" of "coaching" that got Morris pulled from the game. Morris was averaging 5 ypc and hammering the defense. We were getting the momentum and then Boom, Little Jerry remembers that the gameplan was for EE to get the carries so he pulled Morris for EE because nothing is going to cause Little Jerry to stray away from his gameplan. Success of Failure is secondary to having a gameplan and sticking to it. That's the Jerry Jones model, that's Little Jerry's model and that's why were going to be exactly .500 since 1997 after next week's loss.

I swear we coached that game to lose yesterday. We forced what didn't work and went away from what did work. Simply horrible, terrible coaching.

Kalyan

Reaction score
God I just hate this guy (as a coach). He can't leave soon enough.

I wonder what the other head coaches think of this guy when they are game planning. They probably let him win a few games here and there so that JC and keep his job and they can beat him whenever they want to :)

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Apparently so was I.

Perhaps you're drunk?

Either way, dude, we don't always agree, but I like that you're not afraid to bring it. And if you don't like something, you always have a good reason for it. That buys a lot of leeway to let the random Twill-brain fart slip every now and then.

yimyammer

Reaction score
Yes indeed. In one of the episodes, he gets his shorts pulled down by Pacman Jones.

Part of the culture of respect of those teams.

damn, I cant believe I forgot they brought him back

then again is was probably my brain protecting me from the trauma by wiping out the memory

just joking Campo, you seemed like a nice guy

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
That makes sense. I guess we'd need to hear more then about what better spots Dez needed to be put in. I sort of took it as a given that Garrett would think they put Dez in the best possible spots already. Given that, you can see his point.

But if what we needed to do was move Dez around more, that's another matter. Maybe. Honestly, when I look at the shots we did take to Dez, I think he should have brought down 2-3 of those balls. If he had, he'd probably have gotten more looks, anyway. The drops and the penalties put is in 3rd down situations, where Dez gets doubled. If the players make more of the catches they dropped, perhaps we avoid some of those and Dez gets more shots doing just what we were doing already.

Both things can be true. Dez does need to catch those balls (especially the one in the end zone), but he also needs to be targeted in situations that aren't just 1-on-1 jump ball heaves down the field.

Let's be clear, those were DIFFICULT passes to catch. 99% of receivers in the league won't come down with those balls, but of course, Dez is paid like the other 1%, so he SHOULD come down with them.

But he also should be schemed to be more involved in the offense. He's a guy who makes things happen with the ball in his hands. How about a little crossing route? A screen? A rub route to get him some space?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Both things can be true. Dez does need to catch those balls (especially the one in the end zone), but he also needs to be targeted in situations that aren't just 1-on-1 jump ball heaves down the field.

Let's be clear, those were DIFFICULT passes to catch. 99% of receivers in the league won't come down with those balls, but of course, Dez is paid like the other 1%, so he SHOULD come down with them.

But he also should be schemed to be more involved in the offense. He's a guy who makes things happen with the ball in his hands. How about a little crossing route? A screen? A rub route to get him some space?

One of them, if it were true, would be sufficient to win. The other presumes there are better ways to use Dez and we don't know if that's really the case or not. Either way, Dez should have caught that ball. It was a tough, contested catch, for sure. Welcome to the NFL. More than 1% of WRs could come down with it, though, and Dez would be the first to tell you he definitely should have.

And Dez does get moved around the offense. Including flanker and slot. I don't know why people think he doesn't exceed that, seriously, Bryan Broaddus said it one day and it stuck in here.