Garrett comment on Tank

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Get me some 1st round picks.

I bet he goes to Miami, we take Quinn and their 1st and 3rd round picks.

Quinn just wants to get paid too and we're not looking to give him $10 million per.

I remember during mid last season Stephen coming out and saying they need to play Taco more.

I bet they're thinking Taco on the left and Quinn on the right with d-line help through this draft.

Then this team is outright young and the cap is managed.

blueblood70

Reaction score
its the truth

Major League sports are getting out of control with Dream teams, ridiculous fake contracts(see 10/12yr 400milion in baseball , we all know those players might be there 6 yrs) , and players wanting to be highest paid at their postion every time some other player gets new contract.. at some point it has to plateau and/or go backwards.. even with higher caps each year and inflation players deserve what they earn not what others have made..Tank isnt top 5 money hes 6-10 and should be paid like it , same with Dak, Market shmarket..sick of that term, I realize it sets a ceiling or goal but in no way shape or form just because you play postion that has paid someone X$amount of dollars means you deserve that number. Im all for player getting a big contract but theres limits and some dont think so, im glad they are taking hard stances here an dit better stay the same with all positions not just a select few, yes I mean Dak, I know QBs get overpaid anyway but in no way should he even approach over 25..just because? just because what offer Tank 19 per some guarantees etc offer dak 22 no more and move on tag them transition them, or trade them, do what you have to but dont play the game, change the game..there are players like Brady, KD, Dirk, and select other that see reality and know hey im rich either way and dont kil their teams chances to build around them..take wahts fair not more then fair..

pgreptom

Reaction score
I hope they tell Dak that too. If I'm Lawrence I walk. QB, LT, DE, CB... the most important positions in football. There's no point in taking pennies when you're an elite player at one of the most important positions to any franchise. He's a top 3 edge rusher in the NFL today. He's gonna get between 18 and 22 million per year and even that is at a discount if you consider the updated salary cap numbers.

They're probably low balling him around 16 million. They'll low ball DLAW and give Dak 30 million. Lowball Coop but pay Zeke. Franchise is baffling at times. I wouldn't get surgery until they commit long term to me as well. He saw the Anthony Spencer fiasco in 2012 and 2013. Rented him twice and shipped him off.

Pants

Reaction score
While Garrett is correct, this smacks of a way to save face. “I know he left. We said we wanted him, but we have to think about the team...,”

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
That's all fine and dandy but I don't think Lawrence really wants to hear Garrett talk about salary cap responsibility. I mean in the end, the Cowboys are offering him a really large contract that's going to have salary cap implications down the road anyway, so the HC telling him they need to be more responsible with the cap in this contract when they are likely only quibbling over a few million per year isn't going to sit well.

You want real salary cap responsibility? Don't sign him at all. Trade him and look for cheaper options at DE (which I am coming around to that idea if you can get Quinn and then consider Ansah for less).

This is nothing but Garrett being a public mouthpiece for Jerry. It's probably not going to sit well with Lawrence and his camp.
Garrett talking to DLaw about the salary cap doesn't prohibit the FO from declining to sign him anytime going forward. You speak as if its an "either this or that" proposition when these things are actually all doable. I think the fix is already in to deal Tank and acquire the services of Robert Quinn by draft day, but what do I know? It's just my opinion.

jnday

Reaction score
Lawrence is damaged goods since he hasn’t had the surgery. He is totally unreasonable in his demands due to the inflated way that he sees himself. He is not an elite DE. I have never seen him take over games like Charles Haley was capable of doing. Matter of fact, I don’t think he is half the player that Haley was.

JayFord

Reaction score
It would suck if we lost him but Tank isn’t a all pro defensive end imo

He’s a darn good one but as some have said he isn’t maning a offense change their whole gameplan...and some games it’s like he’s not even out there

Unless you can register 0 tackles and 0 sacks and still dictate the flow of a game then you’re not getting top dollar

RamziD

Reaction score
You also have to have good roster management. You don’t need guys making top-tier money at every position. That said, you have to pay your pass rushers when they’re in that category. It’s one of the most important positions. Not the time to pull all the purse strings.

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
That's all fine and dandy but I don't think Lawrence really wants to hear Garrett talk about salary cap responsibility. I mean in the end, the Cowboys are offering him a really large contract that's going to have salary cap implications down the road anyway, so the HC telling him they need to be more responsible with the cap in this contract when they are likely only quibbling over a few million per year isn't going to sit well.

You want real salary cap responsibility? Don't sign him at all. Trade him and look for cheaper options at DE (which I am coming around to that idea if you can get Quinn and then consider Ansah for less).

This is nothing but Garrett being a public mouthpiece for Jerry. It's probably not going to sit well with Lawrence and his camp.
We can get a 1 for him. Do it IMO. And I'm pretty certain he would fetch a 1.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
So screw being in a good cap situation....lol Cowboys fans.

Good cap =/= production on gameday

You can have a great cap situation and not have any talent on the field. Which would you rather have, good cap with no trophies or in a bad cap situations that helped bring you trophies?

Again, you're accepting mediocrity and trusting a plan that is obviously not paying off. Good for you, sweet child.

CWR

Reaction score
I hope they tell Dak that too. If I'm Lawrence I walk. QB, LT, DE, CB... the most important positions in football. There's no point in taking pennies when you're an elite player at one of the most important positions to any franchise. He's a top 3 edge rusher in the NFL today. He's gonna get between 18 and 22 million per year and even that is at a discount if you consider the updated salary cap numbers.

They're probably low balling him around 16 million. They'll low ball DLAW and give Dak 30 million. Lowball Coop but pay Zeke. Franchise is baffling at times. I wouldn't get surgery until they commit long term to me as well. He saw the Anthony Spencer fiasco in 2012 and 2013. Rented him twice and shipped him off.

Meh, I doubt that's what they are offering. If we are offering up to 6 million less than his value then shame on us. I highly doubt that's the case though.

What do you think Dallas should've done with Spencer? Tagging him was better than investing a huge sum of guarenteed money wasn't it?

CWR

Reaction score

I think you have to set a date. Have the surgery by this date and we will continue to negotiate until we can work out a deal.

If the surgery isn't had by said date and you are consequently not available for camp ect then negotiations are over. He can miss games and play half a season or whatever on a franchise tag. That will only serve to hurt his value.